Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 08:41 AM

7 posts, read 13,647 times

Advertisements

Hello! I will be moving to Western Arizona next month. The organization where I received a job is letting me choose between 3 places/counties to live in: Kingman (Mohave County), La Paz County - city hasn't been determined yet, and Yuma (Yuma County).

I love being outdoors and doing activities/sports - hiking, kayaking, swimming, horseback riding, golfing, snowboarding (wasn't sure if some of the areas that snowed offered this) etc. I love to venture off and find hidden spots and adventures. I am also looking for a place with a beautiful view of AZ. I don't mind at all living in a small town as long as I can get the basic amenities and has some sort of entertainment.

I have done some research on Yuma and Kingman. I get the sense that Yuma has more to offer, but Kingman is closer to ideal adventure destinations.

Any positive advice will help! Thank you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 09:05 AM

4,374 posts, read 11,223,721 times
I'm not the best one to help you but will share that those are some of the hottest places in AZ in the summer so outdoor activities will be somewhat curtailed then unless they involve a pool or water.

How old are you? I ask because Yuma is jam packed with snowbirds in the winter. It gets a bad rap (you can tell from searching this board - I recommend you do that for all places you are considering as there is some great info already here) but it does seem like there's a lot to do there.

Other posters will be along shortly to help further. Good luck to you!

Old 01-01-2015, 09:13 AM

Thank you! I am in my late twenties. I have read a lot about the snowbirds lol. I will only be down there for a year, so I am just trying to find which place will provide a good experience

Old 01-01-2015, 09:37 AM

455 posts, read 1,498,538 times
Since you are in your mid 20's, I think you will be better off in Lake Havasu than either Kingman or Yuma. Lots of opportunities to water ski or boat/fish,etc. It is close enough to I-40 to go somewhere for a weekend and there will be lots of people your age there visiting the lake.

Yuma does have lots of outdoor activities, it is close to El Gulfo, San Diego, the sand dunes. The Colorado river is there, so lots of boating, etc. Miles and miles of Desert to explore. The town dies in the summer and comes back to life for snowbird season, but that life is geared more to the seniors. Yuma is also a long way from any where else if you are looking for long weekend trip.

Kingman is close to the Hualapai mtns, so you can access some winter sports there, it's close to Las Vegas and not too far from the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff and the rest of N.Az. Its also not as hot as Havasu, Parker or Yuma. It is near Laughlin, lake Mohave and has plenty of desert to explore as well.

Curly

Old 01-01-2015, 10:38 AM

2,153 posts, read 5,172,378 times
Yuma is larger than the other two and has more amenities. But Kingman has more mountains and cooler temps, especially in the winter. Kingman is 100 miles to Las Vegas, Yuma 175 to San Diego. Lake Havasu is fun on the lake/river, but there is not much else to do there.

Old 01-01-2015, 10:41 AM

Thanks! Everyone's input is helping Would anyone happen to know about horseback riding and/or ranches? I looked on google maps and were able to find a few at each, but I am looking to volunteer maybe once or twice a week in exchange for discount riding.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:04 AM

1,627 posts, read 3,215,642 times
Kingman doesn't have many restaurants or places to shop compared to Yuma. Kingman elevation is at 2500 to 3000, so the winters are cooler and so are the summers. The weather is dryer. You are 30 minutes away from Laughlin, NV and about 90 mins away from Vegas. You are 30 minutes away from Colorado River, 1 hour from Lake Havasu. Two hours away from Prescott, three hours away from Flagstaff and 90 mins. from Williams. Lots of hiking and water sports and basically anything you want to do is offered close by..

Yuma has the Colorado River but it is not very big. Lots more shopping and restaurants and winters are warmer than Kingman but summers are hotter and humid due to irrigation.

My pick would be Kingman due to its proximity. Not far from Grand Canyon, Flagstaff, Williams, Prescott and if you want night life Vegas isn't very far. However; winters are not as pleasant as Yuma.

Old 01-01-2015, 11:31 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,944,809 times
Kingman has more opportunities for recreation in the region. Boring town yes, but your weekends will be more fun.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:02 PM

Are there farmer's markets or places to get fresh produce? I would like to support the locally farms. I think I remember Yuma having a local farmer's market organization in my research.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:26 PM

Oh, also I am a big library nut! I was also wondering how the library system was here and if there are parks or outdoor places nearby to take a book and read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona