Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2015, 11:10 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,288,448 times

Advertisements

Wife and kids are planning a trip beginning in March, destinations will include
Grand Canyon
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Arches
Meteor crater
Sedona
etc.
Are all these places open for business in early March?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2015, 11:26 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Grand Canyon
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Arches
Meteor crater
Sedona
etc.

Thanks
I hope you're giving yourselves a LOT of time. Some of those places are really far apart.

The South Rim of the Grand Canyon is open year round. The only concern is the possibility of snow in early March which could cause road closures both inside and outside the park.

Sedona is a town, and thus is always "open". Same for the hiking trails. Snow is less of a concern there in March, I would think.

I visited the meteor crater in the 80s and have never felt the need to see it again. It struck me as a bit of a tourist trap.

Bryce, Arches, and Zion are all in Utah. I'm not familiar with their schedules but I'm sure you can look them up. IIRC, Bryce at least may be closed during some winter months. I've driven to Bryce and Arches, but not in the same trip and both in the summer. Recalling the elevations and roads I had to travel on to get up there from Arizona, I'd be very cautious about going that way in early March, as some of those areas were very desolate and isolated.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,059,721 times
good comments by johnp.....prepare for cold nights and, possibly, a late snow.....the North Rim of the Grand Canyon will be closed, but not the South Rim....Bryce is on a high plateau, so will be cold.....your first four listed are part of the National Park system, so google for their official sites....

be ready for lots of driving....

the Meteor Crater is privately owned, so, as johnp says, it feels more like a corny attraction...however, it's among the significant natural sites of the world and is very deserving of being acquired by the State Park or National Park system.....it remains a profit-making venture in the hands of the Barringer family, descendants of the scientist who first suggested it was a meteor which created it

Old 01-01-2015, 03:53 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
Yes, all are open year round. The North Rim is closed probably until late May.

Best time to visit is winter. I remember a couple of years ago in Zion, there were about eight people in the whole park, it was snowing and we spent the afternoon in the lodge lobby mostly by ourselves, playing chess and watching the snow and deer on the meadow. You can't buy that!

Old 01-01-2015, 07:19 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,431,666 times
The Grand Canyon is closed for renovation this year guys. It is getting a fresh new paint, a roof and the plumbing gets up dated.
But in November it should be finished....

Old 01-01-2015, 07:46 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,948,076 times
^^ If we don't start getting more rain and snow we aren't going to need to worry about the plumbing. A new roof sounds good, though I'd prefer they spend the money on a bridge.

Old 01-04-2015, 12:18 PM

205 posts, read 572,406 times
As others have said, the south rim is open year round... In march you will most likely meet snow in the area but the traffic will not be as heavy. The north rim is only open may 15-October 15 (except for day use through dec 1, unless snow arrives first).

Hopefully your travel time is more than a couple days... you need a few solid days to be able to see and enjoy each of your intended destinations.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:26 PM

10,747 posts, read 23,809,943 times
I did the 9 mile round trip hike from the rim to Indian Garden in March 2013. It was in the 40's at the rim in the morning and about 75 down in the garden. Layers, layer, layers! I guess we lucked out with the snow factor, hit or miss scenario with weather.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:41 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corydon View Post
The Grand Canyon is closed for renovation this year guys. It is getting a fresh new paint, a roof and the plumbing gets up dated.
But in November it should be finished....
Now this is just funny stuff!

But seriously, as others have said, those folks are going to need at least a week to see all those places, and even that is going to be 'power visiting'.

Old 01-07-2015, 06:52 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Grand Canyon
Zion
Bryce Canyon
Arches
Meteor crater
Sedona
etc.

Thanks
And to add, I/we are not sure where you will start or how (I assume you will fly into 'somewhere' and rent a vehicle and then fly out of the same 'somewhere' or else?), I would re order this.

Arches
Bryce
Zion
Grand

And then depending on your departure from the area would possibly determine what order to do Sedona or Meteor. I.e., if your departure from the area is to the east, then Sedona (via Williams0 and Meteor. But if your departure is from Phoenix, then Meteor (via Flagstaff) and Sedona.

happy trails!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona