Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2006, 06:24 PM

50 posts, read 595,434 times

Advertisements

I'm back to the town that first peaked my interest in western Arizona, Kingman. I was thinking about Bullhead City but amongst other things, like meth heads, I really can't tolerate two things, massive cockroaches and massive water bugs which are essentially massive cockroaches, both are likely due to the river location and I have been told they are prevalent at least in the river towns.
So, is Kingman far enough away from the river to not have these repulsive creatures? (Yes, I'm referring to both the bugs and the meth addicts.)
What kinds of insects can one expect to see regularly in Kingman?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2006, 06:41 PM

57 posts, read 291,184 times
We haven't seen that many bugs in Kingman, except for a 3 day invasion last spring from some teeny flying bugs that literally covered our house. Meth is a problem everywhere in the desert, including the California desert. Certain areas of the town will have problems but other areas will be fine. The same with Bullhead. I think the main distinction between Kingman and Bullhead is the weather. Bullhead can be 15 or more degrees hotter than Kingman in the summer. And believe me, dry heat or not, it gets so hot it takes your breath away. Bullhead has more restaurants and shopping and of course Laughlin, but it is an easy 37 mile drive from Kingman.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:21 AM

4 posts, read 23,281 times
Default Kingman is small town SoCal in the 50s

[quote=no user name;151082]I'm back to the town that first peaked my interest in western Arizona, Kingman.
So, is Kingman far enough away from the river to not have these repulsive creatures? (Yes, I'm referring to both the bugs and the meth addicts.)

Kinman is a great town with friendly people that time has more or less forgotten. If you can tolerate the lack of shopping and cultural events, you will love it. We have had a boom in the last few years due to an influx of Californians paying outrageous prices for real estate; but that's about it. As for bugs, I hate to be the one to tell you but the desert is full of cockroaches. You just have to spray during spring and Summer regularly and you don't see them. As for meth, that is a problem everywhere. In the desert it is probably more prevalent but limited to remote areas. If you are looking to retire here, it is great.

Old 11-11-2006, 10:20 PM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
We've been looking for land in the Lazy YU area for about a year now and have yet to find something suitable. Prices have since increased (maybe due to SoCal speculators) so much that we are now at the point of possibly looking elsewhere. That is, unless prices come down. Anyone have any opinions on what prices might look like in the near future?

Old 11-12-2006, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
We've been looking for land in the Lazy YU area for about a year now and have yet to find something suitable. Prices have since increased (maybe due to SoCal speculators) so much that we are now at the point of possibly looking elsewhere. That is, unless prices come down. Anyone have any opinions on what prices might look like in the near future?
I don't see how it can not come down. Actually a large percentage of the speculators here are from Las Vegas. And the majority of the purchases here were by speculators not actual home buyers. Some developments are nearly 100% non owner occupied.

Land prices here are 10-20 times what they were 2 years ago. Many lots now sell for more than a lot with a house sold 2 years ago in the same area.

We are in the same boat as you, we love it here but if prices don't decrease a lot we will also be looking elsewhere. We will hold off until spring and see what happens. I can not see spending more for land in the Arizona desert than it costs in so many other places. Even areas of California are selling land for less than Mohave County and based on price per square foot the houses are cheaper also. I just don't get it.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:38 PM

228 posts, read 818,158 times
Thanks for the response shariv. We are actually still in SoCal and also have a 2nd home in Phoenix. I much prefer our weather here in SoCal and the only thing drawing us to Kingman is escape from the congestion here. There is still a substantial difference in housing prices between where we are now (SoCal) but I can't bring myself to pay what I believe may be a short term spike in land values in Kingman. For over a year I've been hearing stories about what the Walmart distribution center and future housing developments will have on real estate values in Kingman. Now, I understand that Walmart has put a hold on their project and the housing developments are plagued with problems, a shortage of water to name one. Even if these projects proceed I still can't justify in my own mind the escalation in land values experienced lately. Kingman still lacks many of the refinements that are already a part of other communities. Don't get me wrong, Kingman has a lot of potential and is still a nice place without these refinements but speculation has driven land prices way to high in my opinion.

Old 11-12-2006, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeser View Post
Thanks for the response shariv. We are actually still in SoCal and also have a 2nd home in Phoenix. I much prefer our weather here in SoCal and the only thing drawing us to Kingman is escape from the congestion here. There is still a substantial difference in housing prices between where we are now (SoCal) but I can't bring myself to pay what I believe may be a short term spike in land values in Kingman. For over a year I've been hearing stories about what the Walmart distribution center and future housing developments will have on real estate values in Kingman. Now, I understand that Walmart has put a hold on their project and the housing developments are plagued with problems, a shortage of water to name one. Even if these projects proceed I still can't justify in my own mind the escalation in land values experienced lately. Kingman still lacks many of the refinements that are already a part of other communities. Don't get me wrong, Kingman has a lot of potential and is still a nice place without these refinements but speculation has driven land prices way to high in my opinion.
We moved here from SoCal in Feb 2005. Between our last trip here in mid 2004 and when we moved, house prices more than doubled. We had thought that we would rent for 6 months and that would give us time to find something to buy. We looked at two houses that first couple of weeks. One was new not complete and on the market from the builder for 239000, two weeks later it had sold and was back on the market for 325000, still not complete. The other had just closed at 156,000, 3 weeks earlier and was on the market for 276,000, it sold in 2 days. Everything was like that for several months and we weren't going to play that game. Prices were driven up almost entirely by flippers. The wages here will not sustain the prices.

We actually enjoy the Kingman weather. It doesn't usually get over 105 in the summer and without the humidity it is actually more comfortable than 85-90 with humidity. The winter is chilly with an occasional snow. The wind we aren't in love with, but we can put up with it.

We chose Kingman because we wanted a small town and liked the atmosphere and people here. Being close to our youngest grandson in Socal was also important. We thought the low price of houses was a trade off for the lack of shopping and restaurants. Without the low prices, it's hard to rationalize the lack of the other things. We're still hoping for a change before we give up. We've kept extensive track of the market here and lots of links to news articles. If you would like to email me, my email should be available if you click on my name.

Old 01-19-2007, 12:35 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,693,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shariv View Post
We moved here from SoCal in Feb 2005. Between our last trip here in mid 2004 and when we moved, house prices more than doubled. We had thought that we would rent for 6 months and that would give us time to find something to buy. We looked at two houses that first couple of weeks. One was new not complete and on the market from the builder for 239000, two weeks later it had sold and was back on the market for 325000, still not complete. The other had just closed at 156,000, 3 weeks earlier and was on the market for 276,000, it sold in 2 days. Everything was like that for several months and we weren't going to play that game. Prices were driven up almost entirely by flippers. The wages here will not sustain the prices.

We actually enjoy the Kingman weather. It doesn't usually get over 105 in the summer and without the humidity it is actually more comfortable than 85-90 with humidity. The winter is chilly with an occasional snow. The wind we aren't in love with, but we can put up with it.

We chose Kingman because we wanted a small town and liked the atmosphere and people here. Being close to our youngest grandson in Socal was also important. We thought the low price of houses was a trade off for the lack of shopping and restaurants. Without the low prices, it's hard to rationalize the lack of the other things. We're still hoping for a change before we give up. We've kept extensive track of the market here and lots of links to news articles. If you would like to email me, my email should be available if you click on my name.
We had a similar experience. While our home was on the market we searched in Ridgecrest, Ca., where we would be close to the grandkids. Then BRAC hit, which meant about 2,500 new jobs to the area, and overnight our broker sold 96 homes, all at inflated prices. These were then flipped at increases of $100K+. The home we were leaning toward was originally $194K, then put back on the market for $350K. So, the increase in prices here in Kingman, while doubling, were still affordable.

Last edited by JustPassinThru; 01-19-2007 at 01:35 PM..

Old 01-20-2007, 08:45 PM

1 posts, read 6,557 times
Smile "Land Of Enchantment"

Hey, anyone looking at Kingman, Arizona for relocation, you may want to read this before you make any big decisions.
My husband and I lived in Kingman, Arizona for two years after retiring from Southern California (residents there since early 1950s).
Kingman is definitely not congested and there is ample opportunity to purchase a very nice new home for far less than what you sold your Calif. home for......................However, this city is so backwards, and the people are so red-neck it is quite an eye opener. The medical care is deplorable! The medical support staff are recruited from the area so one visit should give you a very clear picture of what I'm talking about...................
The weather is one of the better things about Kingman. You do get four seasons (spring and fall are short but they do occur) even some snow during the winter, and the summers are typically cooled off with the monsoon season (mid July usually), but there is always a wind blowing and it becomes a source of irritation (eyes, nose, and emotions).
There are nice homes up in the Hualapai foothills but they are having drainage problems and all the septic systems are leaching into the water table.
We got pretty burned out on this "land that time forgot" so after much scouting around we found Las Cruces New Mexico...................we've been here 1 year and it is great. The weather is absolutely wonderful and the home prices are better than Kingman if you like the Santa Fe/Territorial style adobe looking homes. It has a population of about 85,000 and there are plenty of things to do, 2 large medical centers, New Mexico State University is here so there's also plenty of curriculum, concerts, basketball, football, baseball, etc.
It's a nice easy going city with plenty of growth on its horizon.
Come take a look, it has won many accolades in magazines for a great place to retire and the housing market is affordable and full of value.

Old 01-28-2007, 10:15 AM

16 posts, read 82,046 times
I moved to Kingman 3 years ago from Southern California. While I have seen the price of housing jump, I have also seen brand new houses and older homes sitting stagnate for over 6 months.

IMHO there is not enough here to draw the things needed. I agree with the comment made that it is so backwards and red-neck here.

We got a Chilis a few years ago, but it has been "Kingmanized". Anyone who has been here understands that term. I grew up in a town in Oregon the size of Kingman, and it isn't as strange. The people here don't seem to have any demand for quality things or a quality life. Just look at most of the landscaping here. You will see a lot of junk. I understand it is not about planting grass, but it is about making things look invitable. There appears to be lack of pride of ownership and a lot of trashy mentality here.

Shopping experiences include Wal-mart, Kmart and an abbreviated JCPenney. If you don't make it to the store by 6:00 p.m., then you are SOL. There were hopes for a Pier 1 Imports or a Ross Dress for Less. I have given up hope on those stores. If you wear Lancome makeup, you HAVE to go to Vegas to get it. Bullhead City has a store with Estee Lauder though.

I'm still young enough that I don't look at the medical facilities or lack thereof. I do know my in-laws go to Phoenix or Las Vegas anytime they need something done. They are in their 80s and have lived here for 50 years.

There is an evil vortex here, I hope to get the heck out of this place ASAP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona