U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 06:16 AM

6,066 posts, read 7,730,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssundown View Post
Hi everyone! Just found this site. It is very interesting. Have been learning alot. Would like opinions on where exactly to move to in Arizona. Husband is a house painter and I am in the medical field. Would like a small town feel but not to expensive. I have lived in Ohio all my life. Small town near Akron. It is considered rural but doesn't feel like it with all the development going on. Would like to make a good living. Tired of the cold winters. Time to move west. Please if anyone has any ideas I would welcome them. Thanks
There is a great painter here in the Phoenix area that I recommend to my clients who need painting work. He doesn't do much of the work himself. I don't want to post his number on the forum, but if your husband would like to talk to him, send me a private mail and I can get permissin from him to give you his number so he can explain the painting market as it is here today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 12:34 PM

356 posts, read 739,992 times
SSundown, your husband will be competing with illegal aliens that will do the job for $6 an hour. If you want to get away from the snow, there are plenty of places to do so. I live in Western Oregon and can't say anything bad about it. No real snow, rain is often but light so it doesn't bother me. Lotsa trees, friendly people. Tons of recreation. Cost of living is much lower than in most of Arizona, and pay is higher.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:38 PM

SSundown, Kingman is decent, if I had to live in the AZ desert, the tri state area (where Kingman is) would be my choice. Sedona and Flag are beautiful but expensive. Hualapai Mountain is nice area, and it's a short drive from Kingman when it gets hot there... you can drive up the mountain and the temp drops 20 degrees.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:52 PM

15,446 posts, read 13,044,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave View Post
SSundown, your husband will be competing with illegal aliens that will do the job for $6 an hour. If you want to get away from the snow, there are plenty of places to do so. I live in Western Oregon and can't say anything bad about it. No real snow, rain is often but light so it doesn't bother me. Lotsa trees, friendly people. Tons of recreation. Cost of living is much lower than in most of Arizona, and pay is higher.
But...but...but...

Arizona doesn't have illegal aliens anymore now that the the new law was passed down there.

At least that's what I keep hearing is happening.

Ken

Old 01-31-2008, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
But...but...but...

Arizona doesn't have illegal aliens anymore now that the the new law was passed down there.

At least that's what I keep hearing is happening.

Ken

Yeah, good luck on that one!

Old 01-31-2008, 06:35 PM

28 posts, read 157,698 times
Thanks for all the info. Now I am a little nervous about the painting. Maybe it is not such a good idea after all. Is the pay really that low on getting your house painted there? Would like any idea's on that. Hubby is really good and has been doing this for may years. What about the Casa Grande area? How's the weather there? Cost of Living? Compared to Kingman. Arizona sounds so good right now. We are having an ice storm tonight. Morning commute will be dangerous. Boy, I'm beginning to hate it here more and more here. LOL Would appreciate any info. Thanks again.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssundown View Post
Thanks for all the info. Now I am a little nervous about the painting. Maybe it is not such a good idea after all. Is the pay really that low on getting your house painted there? Would like any idea's on that. Hubby is really good and has been doing this for may years. What about the Casa Grande area? How's the weather there? Cost of Living? Compared to Kingman. Arizona sounds so good right now. We are having an ice storm tonight. Morning commute will be dangerous. Boy, I'm beginning to hate it here more and more here. LOL Would appreciate any info. Thanks again.
The painting company will charge you the same as if you were in Ohio, but the owner will pay his workers less and make more profit. That's how it works in AZ> You'll see developers and construction company owners hire illegals and make a killing, then complain that they'll be run out of business if they had to hire legal workers. It's a farce. They get 2-3 times as much for the houses, yet they pay 1/2 price for labor. BTW, I've only been to Casa Grande a few times, was not impressed one bit. The nice parts of Arizona connect to Highway 89a. I'd check into Prescott, Cottonwood, etc. Kingman is much nicer than Casa Grande, and it's a close drive to Havasu and Laughlin. You're also on I-40 so Flag is a jaunt across the interstate.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:55 PM

6,159 posts, read 9,749,575 times
Sorry Dave, but I don't fully agree. In our experience, the various subs (like painters, cement work, excavation, etc) are far cheaper here than in other places that we're familiar with (CA and NY). One of the things we like about living here is that we've been able to afford projects that were out of our reach in other areas.

The developers here on the other hand were indeed making a killing, but now are going through a pretty serious reality check themselves.

Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
Sorry Dave, but I don't fully agree. In our experience, the various subs (like painters, cement work, excavation, etc) are far cheaper here than in other places that we're familiar with (CA and NY). One of the things we like about living here is that we've been able to afford projects that were out of our reach in other areas.

The developers here on the other hand were indeed making a killing, but now are going through a pretty serious reality check themselves.

Maybe that's how it is in Kingman, but look around Yuma and PHX. They have endless cheap labor and you'll still pay a premium.

Heck, my uncle had a house built in Havasu a few years back, and it was all Americans building it and they still managed to crank the place out for $135, land and all. Granted, it's worth nearly twice that now, but you still don't see many latinos around LHC, nonetheless illegals. Yet the builders 2.5 hours south of LHC (in Yuma) will tell you that they can't build a dinky house for under $300k if they had to pay legal wages. Well, they could, but they may have to skip taking the yacht out next weekend.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 4,432 times
The winter in Sedona can be as bad as the midwest. Payson is a place you might consider. It's about 1.5 hours from Phoenix and its a fairly large town with a small town feel. Temps are about 10 degrees cooler. Gets a bit of snow in the winter. Beautiful pine trees everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona