Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2015, 10:29 AM

344 posts, read 550,657 times

Advertisements

I also posted over on the NM forum, guessing that not everyone reads both, and people move around out here, that's why we came west, to spread out a little...

I've got a possible position in Lordsburg.

There isn't much there, including rental homes. I'd like to find a rural place where I can hike out the door and range pretty far, hills would be much better, yet be within commuting range.

SC is just on the edge of that for me and obviously has hills, is there somewhere to look between Lordsburg and SC that might fit? I've also wondered if something along 70 might be better since the company also has ops in Safford, but the maps don't show a lot between Lordsburg and Safford.

Also thought of looking down toward Animas, but not sure what the border scene is like these days, my recollection is it's kind of flat until you get south of it.

Portal seems too far, but it would be the kind of place I'd thrive off-duty. I think the mountains east of there are the Skeletons (?), anything back in there that's reasonably safe and accessible?

Online resources are not helpful, the local papers use the same ad system, and Oodle is full of dead ad links. Any suggestions?

I am planning to go out there and drive around as soon as it's likely, suggestions for places to look welcomed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 02:14 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,055,731 times
if anybody is wondering, I'm guessing "SC" is Silver City...??.....right, seedy?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:10 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
if anybody is wondering, I'm guessing "SC" is Silver City...??.....right, seedy?
Uh, most likely... however, I began guessing South Carolina and Southern California, until I realized seedy had mentioned NM (that's New Mexico, and not Nothing Much or Never Mind)!

Old 01-21-2015, 04:16 PM

Sorry, yes, in the NM forum SC is obvious, here not so much. :^)

Looks like I'll be out that way in a day or so, just trying to figure out where to start.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:45 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,332 times
There is a road from Lordsburg to Safford. Until you hit Duncan AZ, there is nuttin, nothing, zero....
Duncan is pretty, but when working in Lordsburg, you better find a place in town or close by, driving 2 hours a day to and from work gets old, and sooner or later expensive again.....

Old 01-22-2015, 02:15 PM

Thanks, it looked like that on the map. I have driven around there, but never on that stretch. It does suck to have a long commute, and that is one reason I've been posting, a lot gets hidden out here, back on a dirt road out of site.

Old 01-25-2015, 07:22 PM

861 posts, read 2,190,891 times
Not sure how the rentals are in Duncan but it would be about halfway between Lordsburg and Safford making it a fairly short commute to work and the stores and restaurants of Safford (of which there is a decent amount.) fairly short being 35-40 miles

Some really cool country around Duncan and Safford....not sure about Lordsburg, but Silver has fantastic outdoor opportunities abounding.

Old 01-26-2015, 02:43 PM

Thank you, it agrees with what I saw the other day when I got to drive that part of 70. I thought the landscape between Duncan and Safford had some amazing spots, looks like it's all fenced off and locked, but lovely and inviting for people like me who like to climb things.

Duncan to Lordsburg is moonscape, as was said in another thread. I thought Duncan looked like a neat little town. Have yet to try the SC side, did try toward Animas to see if there was a place that looked good within range.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona