Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2015, 11:55 AM

1 posts, read 1,441 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

We are looking to relocate from New York City. Its far too expensive for the money we're making. Surely there must be a better way to live? So we're looking to make a drastic change in our lives. We picked Arizona because it seems to be cheap (confirm anyone?), and warm. While I'm not inclined to cold climate, he doesn't mind. Obviously, we're considering Pheonix since it's a big one but he's concerned it may be TOO hot. We're open to all kinds of suggestions. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2015, 12:11 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,606 times
I would read through the various threads here a lot of good info. As to Phoenix getting too hot? You get used to it. Everyone just hunkers down in a pool or inside a room with AC during summer. Evenings for the most part are actually kind of nice. As to Phoenix in general that metro area has the best economy in the state, so for a younger couple your job opportunities will be best there. That being said, if you can swing it, Northern Arizona in the high desert, even though it gets some snow, is nicer IMHO than Phoenix is. As to Phoenix itself, I lived in the metro area for about 10 years and Phoenix did me a lot of favors career wise and I met a lot of interesting people. It is generally laid back and the nicer areas are nice but there are some parts of the Phoenix metro that are real hell holes. You want to be a little careful when you come out and do some research before getting a place. Phoenix should be over all much less expensive to live than New York. Culturally Phoenix is kind of devoid of culture...people make valiant efforts to get cultural things going on, but it is mostly a sports / carousing type of place. If you are into high culture you will HATE the Phoenix area. Come out and visit before moving, good luck.

Old 02-10-2015, 07:58 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Phoenix is a big city in the desert. You want San Diego.

Old 02-11-2015, 08:19 PM

518 posts, read 871,921 times
There's tons of "cheap" places to live in the USA so I wouldn't say Arizona is unique in that regard. This isn't a bad place to live at all. Plenty of stuff to do, outdoor activities, etc. I'd say the Phoenix area is a good place for young couples. In fact, I'd say it's a good place to live whether you're young or old.... other reasonably affordable places to look into may include:

Texas (Austin/Dallas-I liked both)
Oklahoma (heard good things about OKC
Florida (South FL. is an interesting place, maybe a bit more expensive though)

Then you have places like Georgia, Tennessee, etc. which I can't give any feedback on but they seem reasonably priced and have some major cities and stuff going on. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: