Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best city based on our criteria?
Sierra (Please tell us why) 0 0%
Prescott (Please tell us why) 3 50.00%
Sedona (Please tell us why) 2 33.33%
Other (Please say which city and why) 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 03:50 PM

129 posts, read 231,037 times

Advertisements

Me and my husband have been looking to relocate to a new place. We are looking to move somewhere that is affordable, not to much crime, has good weather, no to low humidity, big city amenities, not too crowded with crazy traffic like L.A., fun things to do, and has good employment. We prefer to live in a medium sized city, but would still be okay to living in a smaller city. We would want a place that has a hospital, a airport near by (1-2 hours away), grocery stores, malls, movie theaters, restaurants, good transportation ect. Our ideal weather is temperatures not above 95 degrees and no snow if possible. It might sound funny, but after living in the Netherlands for a few years, I feel like I cannot tolerate snow or cold weather at all anymore. When the temperature is 40-41 degrees, it feels a lot colder and unbearable to me. It's even worse since the cold and humidity goes into your bones and causes a lot of pain. I know it will be difficult to find a place with our criteria, especially the weather, but I'm hopeful that we can find some place close. I've really taken a interest in Arizona and think meet our criteria the best. Of course I love California, but it is just too expensive for us. I know Arizona is a desert and most cities are extremely hot there, but I have found some cities that are not as extreme. So far I really like Sierra, Prescott, and Sedona. I really like Flagstaff as well, but I heard it can get a lot of snow there and the employment isn't so good either. Tucson is lovely, but too warm for us in the summer. I'm sure there are a lot of other areas that fit our criteria that I am unaware of, so please let me know what your opinion is and which city you think would be best for us, even if it wasn't something I listed.

If it's not too much trouble, could you also comment to say which city you think would be best and why. It would really help us out a lot since there's still a lot we don't know about the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 04:10 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
"Good Employment" is subjective.... what industries are you employed in.

Old 02-20-2015, 04:22 PM

2,993 posts, read 4,301,121 times
Cross Sedona off your list as it fits none of your criteria except weather
Cross Flagstaff off your list if you don't like very mild cold weather and snow
Choose between Prescott and Sierra Vista. I'd choose Prescott, good luck finding good employment in any of these though. They aren't exactly known as job Meccas.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
"Good Employment" is subjective.... what industries are you employed in.
My husband works in IT and I don't really have a set job. I've had jobs with customer service and I've been a receptionist. I do have an Associate's Degree in Social and Behavioral Science, but I've never found a job for it.

Old 02-20-2015, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.7traveler View Post
Cross Sedona off your list as it fits none of your criteria except weather
Cross Flagstaff off your list if you don't like very mild cold weather and snow
Choose between Prescott and Sierra Vista. I'd choose Prescott, good luck finding good employment in any of these though. They aren't exactly known as job Meccas.
Thank you so much I really like Flagstaff, but took it off due to the snow. That is a shame about Sedona since it looked really good. I have heard that Prescott is nicer and better than Sierra Vista.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:01 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Of choice of cities I would vote for Prescott, but I think your criteria best fits the Tucson area.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Of choice of cities I would vote for Prescott, but I think your criteria best fits the Tucson area.
I really like the Tucson area, but it is just a bit too warm there in the summer.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:31 PM

558 posts, read 970,211 times
Homes are somewhat pricey in Prescott, less so in the "suburbs" of Prescott Valley and Chino Valley. Otherwise it's very affordable. Employment would be the main problem with Prescott, unless you're in health care or something else related to the large retiree population.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:18 PM

700 posts, read 918,325 times
Bisbee is supposed to have a cooler climate than Tucson in summer; but you're going to need portable jobs that don't depend on the town. People who live there love it, though, apparently; if you want to get the flavor, try J A Jance's "Joanna Brady" mysteries. Don't expect as many grisly murders, though, if you do.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:24 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Another vote for Prescott. It is just slightly warmer a few weeks out of the summer than you want and in the Winter it gets some snow but not like Flagstaff. Usually most of it is gone in the morning except on the mountains. If your husband works in IT he could probably find a job with one of the local governments or local schools...eventually, and with a pay cut. With a behavior science degree you might be able to get a job in the rehab industry in Prescott which seems to be a big thing. Other than employment and the temperatures being just slightly outside of your parameters your wants fit the Prescott "Quad" city area well. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona