U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-15-2008, 05:12 PM

9 posts, read 25,871 times
Default Where In AZ????

Hello everyone! I live in Upstate NY, yuk!!!! I am tired of shoveling snow, mowing grass (such a short Summer). I want to retire in AZ, do not want FL and its humidity. I have been in AZ, and I love the heat. I don't want to live in a big city but looking for Golden Valley, Kingman area. I don't want to be a home owner anymore, what I am looking for is a senior housing 55+ based on income. Any suggestions? What would be the perfect place?? (or is there such a place?) I need to be close to Colorado where my daughter is living and a short distance from Vegas would not be that bad.... What a better way to learn about an area than from its residents. Keep in mind that I am aging well and still like to do cool stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM

14 posts, read 29,909 times
I grew up in Northern New York but moved to Ohio when I got out of the service. I have been living in Lake Havasu City for the past 8 years. I have a cousin that that moved from Northern New York to Golden Valley a year ago. I don't know of any 55 and over rental areas but will check with my cousin and see if he knows of any in the GV and Kingman area. If you can take the heat you will like it. I do not miss the snow and cold weather of New York... and not having to mow grass is nice too. If you like outdoor activities I think you'll enjoy this area of Arizona.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:30 AM

4 posts, read 26,179 times
I would consider the verde valley area... try cottonwood, sedona, prescott, prescott valley.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:20 PM

15 posts, read 54,150 times
Try the Prescott/Prescott Valley area.

Old 01-19-2008, 08:58 AM

1,339 posts, read 2,460,467 times
My wife is from Ballston Spa, NY, north of Albany. We move to the Prescott area a couple of years ago and absolutely love it. The weather is beautiful - 80's-90's in the summer, 60's-70's in the spring and fall and 40's-50's in the winter. The sun is almost always shining, so even when it's cold out, it feels warm. Snow is very minimal, rarely stays on the roads, and melts within the next day or two (except some of the higher elevations in Prescott).

Prescott is about 3 to 3.5 hours from Vegas. There are several 55+ communities here. Most are typically home-owners and not renters. Of course there are house rentals in these areas. There is a fulltime 55+ RV park east of Prescott Valley called Orchard Ranch. They charge about $350/mo. They also sell very small manufactured-type homes (~700 sqft) that you can live in. There may be 55+ apartment buildings, but I am not aware of any. There are a few assisted-living apartments - not sure if that is what you are insterested in.

Old 04-02-2008, 03:43 AM

494 posts, read 962,850 times
I think you are right on target with Kingman/Golden Valley. It's mostly retirees there, so you'll have no problem finding senior housing options, and it's central to all those places you mentioned. It's somewhat small, but has everything you need. Down the hill is Bullhead City, also providing everything you need.

What didn't get mentioned:
It's also right up the hill from Laughlin, Nevada. You may feel like alot of others: "Who needs Vegas, when you have Laughlin?!"
It's hot, but I think the elevation is over 5000 ft, much higher than 40 miles away at the river level, closer to sea level! So, it's cold in the winter, a little snow, but much cooler in the summer than surrounding desert areas.
Prescott is much more expensive, and getting higher every day. It's catching the Phoenix sprawl.
Kingman is right on I-40, the main east/west cross-country highway. Best route to Colorado.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona