Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2015, 05:58 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Pretty close.

According to this chart:

http://www.weather.gov/media/unr/heatindex.pdf

a 96 F day with 55% relative humidity would have a heat index of 112F, which is exactly what you would get with 110F at 20% RH.

Heat Index Calculator

A 75 degree day would not be on the chart, and an 80F day can only get a heat index up to 87F at 100% relative humidity.

Another pretty good comparison would be 90F with 70% RH (79 F dew point), yielding a heat index of 105 F
vs. a 110 F day with 5% RH ( 24 F dew point ), yielding a heat index of 102 F. These dew point values are pretty extreme, so I would surmise AZ is "hotter" than the East most of the summer in most years.

But again, this does not account for solar radiation, which would be very, very intense at 5% RH. I had a first hand experience with this years ago. I had a job that required that I commute between two locations in California: the Owens Valley, a relatively high valley (~4,000") at the edge of the Mojave Desert, and the irrigated San Joaquin Valley (~400') every couple weeks. The temperatures were pretty similar in summer, 95-105, occasionally 110, few clouds, and relentless sun. The afternoon sun in the Owens Valley was much more fierce than in the San Joaquin, though the nights cooled better in the high desert. In fact, when the sun went down it was quite nice, whereas the San Joaquin was more humid and cooled more slowly making it harder to sleep. I could literally feel my sun burning in the Owens Valley in the daytime, even with sunscreen. Desert sunshine is a force of nature. While the east is sweaty, it does not feel like it will burn the skin right off you.
i think the point that most are missing is that you can step out of direct sunlight, and if you do, even 100 can feel a bit "breezy". In an area with humidity, there's no relief - even in the shade, the air is "heavy".. 90 in the shade here is quite pleasant. 105+ is hot no matter where you are - a few degrees makes a difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2015, 06:07 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
i think the point that most are missing is that you can step out of direct sunlight, and if you do, even 100 can feel a bit "breezy". In an area with humidity, there's no relief - even in the shade, the air is "heavy".. 90 in the shade here is quite pleasant. 105+ is hot no matter where you are - a few degrees makes a difference.
Good points. However, don't you feel those are appropriately weighted in the heat index calculations?

I will grant that a lot of it would be individual tastes. For people who hate humidity, it is more uncomfortable than dry heat. For those who hate sun, the desert sun is hellish.

I don't care much for hot weather anymore, but I do recall coming out of an air conditioned office into a hot car can actually feel good for a minute or two, like a dry sauna.

Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 PM

1,207 posts, read 1,282,365 times
Honestly this is a pretty ridiculous comparison. I mean, we're comparing two temperatures that differ by 35 degrees. Of course, 75 feels better.

Having lived in Orlando and Phoenix, I would say that 95F with 60-70% humidity in Orlando is comparable to 110F in Phoenix.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:14 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Also with lower humidity comes thirst. I am always thirsty here. Need a drink in hand at all times.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:48 PM

805 posts, read 2,001,233 times
difference between 110 and low humidity and 85 with humidity....the former can heat objects to the point that they can literally burn you.

Also in Phoenix, nighttime often doesn't provide solid relief. When its still 95+ at midnight, its hot...when its 5am and the sun is already shining and you're hoping for a nice morning jog, its hot.

Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enigmadsm View Post
difference between 110 and low humidity and 85 with humidity....the former can heat objects to the point that they can literally burn you.

Also in Phoenix, nighttime often doesn't provide solid relief. When its still 95+ at midnight, its hot...when its 5am and the sun is already shining and you're hoping for a nice morning jog, its hot.

Fortunately, when you move away from Phoenix, many of the Arizona cities like Tucson have lows below 80F late at night that provide some relief from the daytime heat.

Old 05-20-2015, 05:14 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Shade makes a difference even in a humid environment. Just not as much. However, if you are going to bring that up, cloud cover makes a difference. In Arizona there isn't any. In places where it is humid sometimes the clouds will give you a break.

Old 05-20-2015, 06:23 AM

733 posts, read 853,454 times
Brought up in the semi-tropics, then lived in Tucson many years.

It depends on what makes YOU uncomfortable.

I have met people who say humidity doesn't bother them. For me, it's very bothersome.

But anything over 100 in Tucson was very unpleasant. Like being in a convection oven. Burning wind, burning ground, burning air.

Under 100, I think it's far better than any warm, humid places.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:45 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,762,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
Brought up in the semi-tropics, then lived in Tucson many years.

It depends on what makes YOU uncomfortable.

I have met people who say humidity doesn't bother them. For me, it's very bothersome.

But anything over 100 in Tucson was very unpleasant. Like being in a convection oven. Burning wind, burning ground, burning air.

Under 100, I think it's far better than any warm, humid places.
Pretty much the same for me. I think 95 degree days can be ok. They make for lovely evenings. 105 and up, not so much. Just too harsh. Unless you have a swimming pool handy, then it can be fun.

Old 05-22-2015, 03:27 PM

1,371 posts, read 1,933,130 times
If any of you northerners want to know what Phoenix feels like in the summer, turn your oven onto its lowest setting and wait about 30 minutes. Open the door and stick your head inside for a minute, that is what it feels like, only all day long............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona