Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 05:07 AM

604 posts, read 934,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbeans2000 View Post
Although it would be a obvious step in the right direction, it's not logical to legalize mere possession and keep distribution illegal. Can you think of a another product that should be legal to own but simultaneously be illegal to sell?

And what is the so called myth you speak of?

Are you saying our prisons aren't over crowded with people for drug related charges? Over 50 percent of inmates are incarcerated for drug related charges (the majority being for marijuana). The main reason we have the largest prison population in the world is largely due to our drug laws.

Yes, less than 1% of prison inmates are in jail for simple possession. But city and county jails have plenty of them. Almost 26% of the population.

Remember 88% of drug arrests are for possession alone. That wastes an enormous amount of time and resources to process those people through the courts system. There is also the likely loss of a productive member of society if the person loses their job due to the arrest (70% of illicit drug users are employed and 80% are not addicts). Then there is the police officer who we are paying to patrol the streets and keep us safe but is now needlessly tied up spending hours doing paperwork and processing a person for smoking or selling pot.

Finally there is the big question: Did putting that person in jail for whatever time frame (or even just arresting them) stop that person from using drugs again? Usually never, so what did it accomplish except squander our tax dollars?

Just How Much The War On Drugs Impacts Our Overcrowded Prisons, In One Chart

http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/sdatji02.pdf

http://www.justicepolicy.org/images/...ugTx_AC-PS.pdf

https://ncadd.org/learn-about-drugs/workplace

Thank you for referencing these sources which indicate that many felons are also addicted to drugs. Your sources also refer to the cost to society of drug abuse. I believe this is also evidence that making drugs more available will not relieve a problem but in fact might make it worse.

Last edited by GeneR; 07-08-2015 at 05:18 AM..

Old 07-08-2015, 07:21 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,277,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
Thank you for referencing these sources which indicate that many felons are also addicted to drugs. Your sources also refer to the cost to society of drug abuse. I believe this is also evidence that making drugs more available will not relieve a problem but in fact might make it worse.
Pot won't be more available. That's not possible unless you start selling it at 7-11, you know, like booze. It's ridiculously easy to find even though it's illegal. It'll just be regulated and sourced from Americans not the foreign Cartels.

Simplistic, self righteous views are not helpful, just self satisfying.

$0.02

Old 07-08-2015, 07:35 AM

483 posts, read 665,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
Pot won't be more available. That's not possible unless you start selling it at 7-11, you know, like booze. It's ridiculously easy to find even though it's illegal.
Hmmmm...the same goes for prostitution. Maybe that should be legalized, too..."Can I get a girl to go with my Slurpee?"

Old 07-08-2015, 09:22 AM

246 posts, read 400,897 times
Developmental/brain issues anyone?

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releas...marijuana.aspx

Old 07-08-2015, 09:36 AM
TKO

Use any of these?

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/...brains/284466/

Old 07-08-2015, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgray9 View Post
There we go again, confusing the issue with facts!

Old 07-08-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Hmmmm...the same goes for prostitution. Maybe that should be legalized, too..."Can I get a girl to go with my Slurpee?"
Only if she's stoned

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneR View Post
There we go again, confusing the issue with facts!
Yah, I know. My bad.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:59 AM
TKO

No one. Absolutely no one is suggesting it's good for teens or that it should be made available to them. Never mind that it's widely available on any high school campus anywhere in the country in the current black market.

It's not "good" for anyone. But neither are many of the other products we use and are exposed to on a daily basis. Some of which are much, much worse.

Besides it's undeniable that people are going to use it regardless so why not get at least a modicum of control?

How do you deal with facts that don't support your position?

Old 07-08-2015, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKO View Post
No one. Absolutely no one is suggesting it's good for teens or that it should be made available to them. Never mind that it's widely available on any high school campus anywhere in the country in the current black market.

It's not "good" for anyone. But neither are many of the other products we use and are exposed to on a daily basis. Some of which are much, much worse.

Besides it's undeniable that people are going to use it regardless so why not get at least a modicum of control?

How do you deal with facts that don't support your position?
It's not just teens that it's bad for brainwise and developmentally. Though those in their 20s and younger are the hardest hit from what I've read.

Anytime someone says, "well, a bunch of other stuff is also bad for us", you know they don't have much to respond with. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and not assume your advocating the reintroduction of DDT.

There is such a thing as not wanting a society to endorse things it shouldn't endorse. Some facts are uncomfortable and awkward, but they still are facts.

It's like when you're raising children and you don't want the mixed message sent on something like this that is now being sent and will become even more mixed in the future the way this is going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona