Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 07:44 AM

4 posts, read 31,795 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am from michigan and my husband and family are thinking about moving to Arizona. I have been reading about all of the venomous creatures there and am deadly afraid to move there now. I have a almost 4 year old boy, who I am scared will get bitten by a snake or some other venomous creature. I know that over half of the snake bites are to smaller children and he is very curious and know that a rattlesnake bite or bark scorpion bite can be deadly to him. I am looking for some peace of mind. We are going to be working at the florence prison and are thinking about moving into magma ranch. Any insight will be helpful and how to keep theses things out of our yard and home. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I told him I dont want to buy a house with any shrubs in it or grass, because I know these can be hiding places for snakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Actually, most snake bites occur to young, drunk males who want to prove their machismo and try and handle rattlesnakes and end up getting bit. There are some helpful rules to abide by when living in Arizona: 1) check your shoes and clothes/bathtowels/etc before use, theyre a prime hiding ground for wandering scorpions. 2) dont reach around or under things before checking them, black widows, rattlesnakes and scorpions hide in dark places. 3) keep your yard free of clutter.

Basically, its as simple as that. If you follow those rules, youre less likely to get bit/stung/etc. Rattlesnakes are very abundant in Arizona, and many people have problems with them in their yards, etc. Then again some people never see them. Ive found them in my FIL's yard in Scottsdale, as well as scorpions, black widows and a tarantula. If you see a rattlesnake, simply give it room, they wont chase you or anything like that. Scorpions are easy to capture, just put them in a glass jar and take them outside. Tarantulas are harmless, although menacing looking. Did you know that tarantulas have never killed anyone? Their venom is weak, similar to a bee sting, nothing to worry about. Black widows are the worst though, their venom is incredibly toxic. A bite from a black widow should be treated immediately. The only scorpion in AZ to worry about is the bark scorpion (Centruroides exilicauda/sculpturatus), who's venom is very potent, especially to a young child. I dont mean to scare you, but a sting to a 4 year old is a very dangerous thing!!! I was down there a few years ago in October and a 5 year old boy from Tramanto was stung and nearly died, so use extreme caution and be sure to check everything near the baby for hiding scorpions. Ive covered this topic dozens of times and can offer more advice if you need. I keep and study venomous invertebrates, its a hobby of mine. I will post a link to one of my threads that has some info on scorpions. In the meantime, here are some of the Latin names for snakes/scorpions/etc in AZ that you can Google for more info.

Centruroides exilicauda (bark scorpion)
Latrodectus hesperus (western black widow)
Loxoceles deserta (desert recluse)
Scolopendra heros heros (giant centipede)
Scolopendra heros arizonensis (" ")
Crotalus atrox (western diamondback rattlesnake)
Actually, just Google "Crotalids in Arizona" for a complete list and description of the rattlesnake species in Arizona--of which there are many.

Old 01-24-2008, 08:34 AM

Here is the link to my thread on scorpions. If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Hope this helps!

Scorpions

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM

4 posts, read 31,795 times
Is there any way to keep snakes out of the yard? I read that you can put up special fencing to keep them out. I am primarily worried about our 4 year old boy, because he is a boy and very curious. Do you know anything about Magma ranch in Florence?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carriekn8274 View Post
Is there any way to keep snakes out of the yard? I read that you can put up special fencing to keep them out. I am primarily worried about our 4 year old boy, because he is a boy and very curious. Do you know anything about Magma ranch in Florence?
I dont know much about Florence, so cant answer you there. You can put up a cinder block fence (theyre hideous, but many people in the Valley have them), that might help reduce the amount of snakes you get. Be sure to check the perimeter often, as rabbits dig under them and the snakes use the holes as burrows or as means of getting to the rabbits sometimes. Just instruct your son to follow the 3 rules I listed above, as well as intruct him to not touch any snake. Dont make him afraid of them, just make him respect them.

Old 01-24-2008, 09:36 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriekn8274 View Post
Hi, I am from michigan and my husband and family are thinking about moving to Arizona. I have been reading about all of the venomous creatures there and am deadly afraid to move there now. I have a almost 4 year old boy, who I am scared will get bitten by a snake or some other venomous creature. I know that over half of the snake bites are to smaller children and he is very curious and know that a rattlesnake bite or bark scorpion bite can be deadly to him. I am looking for some peace of mind. We are going to be working at the florence prison and are thinking about moving into magma ranch. Any insight will be helpful and how to keep theses things out of our yard and home. My husband thinks I am crazy, but I told him I dont want to buy a house with any shrubs in it or grass, because I know these can be hiding places for snakes.
Your concerns about venomous creatures are not a bad. Although, it also is not one get overly stressed out about either.

Yes, the things you mention are in the desert areas in Arizona. But, there are a number of things you can do to protect yourself - the first thing being, education - educate yourself about these creatures.

I might suggest a trip to the Phoenix Zoo - for, they have these very creatures on display and you can familiarize your family with what these creatures look like. In this way, your child will not be so confused if confronted with one of them.

Then, educate yourself on what you need to do should your child, or you (or anyone!) happen to be bit by one. The various poison control centers have a lot of great information for you on what to do and where to go.

As for your home, and as for scorpions - when we built our home, and being a lifelong AZ resident, I knew that the potential for scorpions to appear was high - we disturbed their nesting places after all. An, sure enough, within a week or two, we found several. However, because of my knowledge, the very first thing I did was to have a good pest control company spray, specifically, for certain of these creatures - the scorpions we found were dead. We do have our home sprayed every two months - but then again, we are literally in the desert at the base of the Superstition Mountain.

As for the Rattlesnakes - if you walk in the desert (wonderful btw this time of year!) you never walk with open toed shoes - closed toed or boots are better. Do not hike in shorts. As for home, block fencing, very common here (wood is awful in the long run) helps - but is not a guarantee. Again, a good pest control company can lay down barriers that also help

Enjoy the desert - it is wonderful. Just educate yourself and your family -

Welcome!

Old 01-24-2008, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
As for the Rattlesnakes - if you walk in the desert (wonderful btw this time of year!) you never walk with open toed shoes - closed toed or boots are better. Do not hike in shorts.
Only snake boots and/or snake chaps will truly repel a bite, wearing pants or regular shoes wont, fangs can easily penetrate them. Of course, the larger the snake, the more powerful bite it will have. Not to mention it will have longer fangs and the capability to inject more venom. Small snakes might not be able to penetrate normal shoes, but a large WDB wont have a problem with that. I just dont want people to think that they can don some simple shoes and long pants and trapse around the desert thinking they will be oblivous to becoming envenomated.

Cabelas sells wonderful snake boots for those that venture out into the desert to hike.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM

172 posts, read 252,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Cabelas sells wonderful snake boots for those that venture out into the desert to hike.
If you are hiking on established trails snake boots aren't needed.

Old 01-24-2008, 11:22 AM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
If you are hiking on established trails snake boots aren't needed.
How do the snakes know which trails are established?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:24 AM

172 posts, read 252,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
How do the snakes know which trails are established?
They don't, but you'll see the snake long before it becomes an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona