Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2015, 11:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Amazing? For me, interesting, perhaps.

The times I went (to Mexico) it answered all of my questions and I'm no longer curious about down there. There will always be those who go there for different reasons: first timers -- those who will return -- and those who have been there, are quite satisfied with their experience, and are done!

The ocean, the cliffs, the jungle, the food...amazing. I'd move there if funds allowed.

I'm guessing it all depends on where in Mexico you go. It's a HUGE place.

But I would make sure I had my passport if I wanted to return!

Old 08-12-2015, 12:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,385,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Personally, Cadillac Lawyer . . . with all of the BS going on nowadays, I would NEVER step foot out of this country without a Valid Passport in hand.

Just another one of those . . . NOT WORTH THE RISK scenarios.

Yes - why tempt fate?
It really depends on who is at the border that day, what kind of things happened to you and to others when you were traveling, and the vagaries of fate. A few years ago a college friend and 4 buddies went into Rocky Point on 4th of July. The gendarmes there were pulling every single car with US plates over and grilling them. They threatened one of the guys because he didn't have a passport - only birth certificate copy and TX Drivers' License. Never mind that the US has an agreement with Mexico and a passport isn't technically required -- only proof of citizenship and a photo ID. None of that matters when corrupt officials decide to go fishing. They were going to toss all the guys in jail. Of course none of their activity was "legal." Cops just wanted a little bribe money. After an hour or so of harassment, the guys paid $200 and got the hell outta Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2015, 12:19 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

Yes - why tempt fate?
It really depends on who is at the border that day, what kind of things happened to you and to others when you were traveling, and the vagaries of fate. A few years ago a college friend and 4 buddies went into Rocky Point on 4th of July. The gendarmes there were pulling every single car with US plates over and grilling them. They threatened one of the guys because he didn't have a passport - only birth certificate copy and TX Drivers' License. Never mind that the US has an agreement with Mexico and a passport isn't technically required -- only proof of citizenship and a photo ID. None of that matters when corrupt officials decide to go fishing. They were going to toss all the guys in jail. Of course none of their activity was "legal." Cops just wanted a little bribe money. After an hour or so of harassment, the guys paid $200 and got the hell outta Mexico.
Yep, like you say, it's the luck of the draw. It's not worth it for me to drive into Mexico these days. Walking into border cities is as far as I'd go these days. Places like La Jolla or Coronado give me my ocean fix when I need it and it's not a far drive from the Phoenix metro. Plus imho, I find places like La Jolla or the Torrey Pines area with the cliffs and all much more picturesque than Rocky Point.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:28 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post

Yes - why tempt fate?
Unfortunately, R Cowgirl . . . similar scenarios occur far too often and are rarely reported or even mentioned by either Local or National News Media.

Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why?

Returning to the original question . . . having traveled extensively due to my career, I can assure you "legal" problems / issues when re-entering have a way of ruining a vacation.

Old 08-12-2015, 12:44 PM

755 posts, read 1,118,976 times
My husband was shaken down by the Federales as well when driving in Mexico. Same scenario as R_Cowgirl describes, same $200, lol. And no, there is no recourse. It's to be expected that if you drive in Mexico you might get pulled over, and if you get pulled over you'll get shook down.

Odds are on any given trip that you won't get pulled over.

But if you do, and you don't have your passport, there's one more issue they can harrass/threaten you about. I would not go without my passport.

And just knowing that the level of corruption that makes us as Americans so accepting that crooked cops are to be expected makes me NOT want to visit Mexico, and enjoy my visit less when and if I do. I think at this point I'm with SteveK64. I'll endure a little longer drive and a little less ideal weather (to me) and head to Coronado.

Last edited by Montanama; 08-12-2015 at 02:04 PM..

Old 08-12-2015, 01:26 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanama View Post
My husband was shaken down by the Federales as well when driving in Mexico. Same scenario as R_Cowgirl describes, same $200, lol. And no, there is no recourse. It's to be expected that if you drive in Mexico you might get pulled over, and if you get pulled over you'll get shook down.

Odds are on any given trip that you won't get pulled over.

But if you do, and you don't have your passport, there's one more issue they can harrass/threaten you about. I would not go without my passport.

And just knowing that the level of corruption that makes us as American so accepting that crooked cops are to be expected makes me NOT want to visit Mexico, and enjoy my visit less when and if I do. I think at this point I'm with SteveK64. I'll endure a little longer drive and a little less ideal weather (to me) and head to Coronado.
Well said Montanama. It's all the odds and I agree, they are probably low, but what's the risk worth to someone?

We have US citizen friends who "own" property in Mexico. They are a couple and drive back and forth to their place in Mexico from the US. One thing our friends told us.....they ALWAYS have the wife drive the car in Mexico. He said the federales are much more respectful/friendly to woman than men and he's never had issues. When he drove in the past, they always give him much more flack at checkpoints when he was the driver and he was amazed how much quicker and smoother his checkpoint experiences went when his wife drove. They've been doing this for decades so I trust their experience is valid.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:33 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
All the off topic about Mexico aside, yes, a passport is required by the BP to re-enter the US but not to get into Mexico. They will let you back in without it, but may or may not hassle you a bit for not having one.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:40 PM

7,824 posts, read 4,565,821 times
Same holds true for Canada.

Old 08-13-2015, 07:49 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,902,026 times
Mexico

Quote:
You must present a valid U.S. passport or passport card in order to enter Mexico.
Presumably you will have it when you return.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:01 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Mexico

Presumably you will have it when you return.
Interesting. I have been many times and have never been asked for a passport going in. In fact, I have never been stopped on the Mexican side at all. Just waived through. I have one, though, as you definitely get asked for it by the border patrol when coming back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona