Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 01:40 PM

104 posts, read 174,801 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about the Gilbert, AZ. Area.
I would like to know;
1.) If Gilbert is a safe city?
2.) If they tax Groceries or not in Arizona?
As I know; Tennessee Does Tax Groceries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2015, 01:45 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Arizona does not tax groceries that are food items. They DO tax some beverage item, including alcohol. Sales tax rates vary by city and county and can vary as much as 2%.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:55 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
While there is some crime everywhere, Gilbert is a safe city. You should ask any other questions you have about Gilbert in the Phoenix forum.

Sales taxes on food can vary from city to city.

Old 08-13-2015, 02:06 PM

104 posts, read 174,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Arizona does not tax groceries that are food items. They DO tax some beverage item, including alcohol. Sales tax rates vary by city and county and can vary as much as 2%.
The reason I asked is I know Tennessee Taxes ALL Groceries including Orange Juice; and Ground-Beef; and everything else. I wanted to make SURE Arizona did NOT do this.

Old 08-13-2015, 03:33 PM

402 posts, read 686,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoofTopPigeon View Post
The reason I asked is I know Tennessee Taxes ALL Groceries including Orange Juice; and Ground-Beef; and everything else. I wanted to make SURE Arizona did NOT do this.
the colors in your post should go away. no caps, no colors, be polite. IMO

Old 08-13-2015, 03:42 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
There was a 1% county tax a few years back, it was voter approved but has since expired. Currently, food is not taxed.

Old 08-13-2015, 04:10 PM

9,601 posts, read 31,698,363 times
Due to my career, RoofTopPigeon, I have lived just about everywhere over the years and believe me . . . the Tax Man will get you one way or another. Except for a very few exceptions, taxes usually balance out in the long run.

If I remember correctly, Tennessee is one of the few states with NO State Income Tax which probably justifies the higher Sale Tax.

You will find Arizona to be a relatively "Low Cost of Living" State overall.

Old 08-13-2015, 11:03 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Only the kind you eat.

In the store, deli items, cooked chicken etc.

Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Due to my career, RoofTopPigeon, I have lived just about everywhere over the years and believe me . . . the Tax Man will get you one way or another. Except for a very few exceptions, taxes usually balance out in the long run.

If I remember correctly, Tennessee is one of the few states with NO State Income Tax which probably justifies the higher Sale Tax.

You will find Arizona to be a relatively "Low Cost of Living" State overall.

I don't want go off topic but since I had planned to relocate to Tennessee when I retired, I will make a couple of comments.

Tennessee DOES have state income tax on most interest and dividends. Their property taxes can also be pretty steep as you approach Nashville and the surrounding counties. Personally, when I was running numbers, living in Kentucky in certain tax brackets would yield lower taxes than Tennessee.

My initial reaction after preparing my first Arizona tax return this past March is that it would be hard to think that Tennessee would save you any money over Arizona, especially in the lower tax brackets. And if you made certain decisions and were careful where you live and shop in Arizona, you can really minimize the taxes you pay in this state.

Old 08-14-2015, 06:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
While there is some crime everywhere, Gilbert is a safe city. You should ask any other questions you have about Gilbert in the Phoenix forum.

Sales taxes on food can vary from city to city.
I wonder why that is. I know Cottonwood has a 3% tax on food and 9.035% on everything else. Deli items are taxed at the 9.035% mark. Haven't figured that one out yet. And phone cards are taxed something like 8%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona