Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2015, 01:46 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,218,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
As one of those left-leaning folks who left Washington state for Arizona, I can tell you for sure that it had NOTHING to with the Washington somehow "being ruined". Washington state is MUCH better run that Arizona can even dream of - with a resulting MUCH STRONGER economy.
It's nice that the cost of living is less here than in Seattle, but in all actuality we're here for one reason and one reason only - THE WEATHER.

Note that nearly all of those states mentioned that are losing population have LOUSY winters and all the ones mentioned gaining that population are WARM WEATHER states. As the babyboomers reach old age, those harsh winters get a LOT harder to endure - so they are moving south. It's not that difficult to understand - and has little to do with which party runs which state.
Get ready for more and more of us "Blue state" folks because we're coming. We'll turn Arizona purple yet.

Ken

A long as they're pro-gun, strongly pro-gun, or fanatically pro-gun they'll fit right in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 11:03 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Liberals on the other hand are RUNNING FROM liberal states that they have ruined, towards more conservative states. When they get to those conservative states they then start trying to change it and make it more liberal like the mess they just left. They don't want to embrace the culture and values of the state, they want to change everything that drew them to it in the first place.
I think they're just looking for lower housing costs. Maybe they're tired of giving their money away to landlords in Los Angeles, never building any equity. The high cost of living in these big liberal cities is do to supply and demand. It would be the same if conservative minded people wanted to live there. Plus when you have a large economy, that's more incentive for people to live there

Quote:
It is amazing how this is lost on those on the left. There are NO liberal states that are draws, people are running from the liberal states towards conservative states.
Yeah right, come summer and all the zonies will be flocking to the beaches of southern cal, like ants being burned out of their hill.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:23 PM

604 posts, read 934,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I think they're just looking for lower housing costs. Maybe they're tired of giving their money away to landlords in Los Angeles, never building any equity. The high cost of living in these big liberal cities is do to supply and demand.
Exactly right. California has a far superior climate which is probably the number one draw. However, the supply and demand issue is huge. Supply is much more restricted in CA than AZ mostly due to zoning laws. It isn't the houses that are expensive, it is the land on which they are built and the laws governing that land use. There are multiple layers of administrative hurdles for any builder; state, county, local, coastal commission, CA air resources board, CA Public Utilities commission, Water Resources Board and on and on.

Then there's the issue of rent control which discourages investors from building. Rent control is probably the leading factor leading to homelessness. Low rent units in rent controlled areas are rarely vacated which locks out low income people from finding affordable housing. There's tons of research on this issue from U. of SoCal if interested.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:19 PM

11 posts, read 21,232 times
Im one of those people who want out of Kalifornia. I support 2nd. Amendment, belong to NRA, A proud Veteran of USAF, ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. Looking at moving to Arizona. Did I mention Im a Conservative who has a extreme dislike for the current Occupant in our White House.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:23 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveBikeWillTravel View Post
Im one of those people who want out of Kalifornia. I support 2nd. Amendment, belong to NRA, A proud Veteran of USAF, ride Harley Davidson motorcycles. Looking at moving to Arizona. Did I mention Im a Conservative who has a extreme dislike for the current Occupant in our White House.
You'll fit right in. I'm moving out of Colorado next year to Arizona. Colorado has gone to hell and too much like California, skyrocketing cost of living and tired of snow. Looking forward to owning a firearm myself, will take some classes to get up to speed.

Old 09-16-2015, 10:33 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
Quote:
Ruin the state with liberal politics and are attracted to conservative states only to want to make it more liberal as soon as they arrive.

I keep running from these states after the liberal invasions. Left Washington, Oregon, Idaho after the California invasions and hope Arizona isn't next.
You cant escape the morons, trust me. They get forced out of their states by their beloved horrible politicians, then move elsewhere to disease and consume their new state/city. You'd think they'd learn their lessons? I swear, stupidity knows no boundaries.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:32 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,298,303 times
"Liberal" is not what liberal was 15 years ago. Now moderates are considered "liberal" In the past, if you were fiscally conservative and socially liberal, you could still call yourself a "conservative" Now, if you embrace any liberal thoughts, you are automatically a "liberal" by todays standards.

I used to make fun of liberals especially in places like San Francisco and Portland. I remember SF tried to pass a law that wouldn't allow toys in Happy Meals because it promoted fast food to children. Okay, that was ridiculous. I lampooned those people. However, now, I am considered liberal because I value anti-discrimination laws against homosexuals, a women's right to choose and increased public education funding. That was not considered liberal 10 years ago.

So yeah, bring in more "liberals" Trust me, they are not going to be anything like the liberals you will see in Portland and SF. They just won't be rednecks. I'm fine with that.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
It's interesting to hear Californians when they attend one of our gun shows. They're on the cell phone to their friends back in Cali "they got AK-47's here! and AR-15's! and, and..."

Welcome to Arizona. Please leave your Liberal politics back where you came from.
Fine, buy an Ak and AR-15. I don't care about that, but really do you need to allow them into government buildings and college campuses? NO! That's the problem in AZ, they take it too far. There is no common sense. They can't just have their rare weapons, they have to be able to carry them hidden and onto school campus too. That's the problem here, they go to extremes. So yeah bring in more "liberals" aka "moderates" here.

Old 09-17-2015, 10:02 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,634,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
"Liberal" is not what liberal was 15 years ago. Now moderates are considered "liberal" In the past, if you were fiscally conservative and socially liberal, you could still call yourself a "conservative" Now, if you embrace any liberal thoughts, you are automatically a "liberal" by todays standards.

I used to make fun of liberals especially in places like San Francisco and Portland. I remember SF tried to pass a law that wouldn't allow toys in Happy Meals because it promoted fast food to children. Okay, that was ridiculous. I lampooned those people. However, now, I am considered liberal because I value anti-discrimination laws against homosexuals, a women's right to choose and increased public education funding. That was not considered liberal 10 years ago.

So yeah, bring in more "liberals" Trust me, they are not going to be anything like the liberals you will see in Portland and SF. They just won't be rednecks. I'm fine with that.
That's a libertarian...

Old 09-17-2015, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hschlick84 View Post
That's a libertarian...
Not necessarily, libertarian means limited government interference. It does not have any strict definitions regarding social policy. In the past, many conservatives shared many social beliefs with liberals but differed primarily on economic means. Things changed in the 1990's with the Christian Right movement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona