U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:21 AM

27,813 posts, read 37,842,567 times

Advertisements

I've seen a number of posts disparaging the architectural styles of the new subdivisions in the Phoenix, Tucson, and Prescott areas and I just have to rise in defense. The new sub-divs are so much better than the ones of ten years ago. Back then a new development might have 3-4 floorplans and 2-3 elevations of each. All houses were painted the same color (Navajo White). There was no attempt at disguising or blending garage into the home so driving thru the developments gave the feel of visiting a mini-storage.

In contrast, today many developments feature 5-6 or more floorplans with several elevation per plan. Colors are all shades of brown but there are several choices. And most developments have side-entry garage options particularly with three car garage homes. The town I live in, Goodyear, has city ordinances, that require houses next to each other not be painted the same or have the same elevations and so forth. Other cities have the same rules. The other side of the coin is that lot sizes have shrunk so the homes really looked packed in. But all in all, new subdivisions are, to my eye, more attractive than those of ten years ago. That's progress of sorts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 AM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
I live in a cookie-cutter and I love it (on the inside). Outside, everything is brown or beige or tan. There were many floorplans to choose from, but somehow they still look the same.
Ponderosa, the new trend you're talking about hasn't reached the east side yet. I wish it would. I don't understand the need for houses to look like they "blend" into the desert. I'd love to live in a neighborhood that allowed some self expression in colors (within reason of course- no bright green or purple). Mix in some Victorians with Cape Cods, etc. Old, traditional styles in traditional colors. Make the neighborhood an oasis is the desert.
The new developments in the southeast valley Johnson Ranch in Queen Creek for example, still have the clone mentality. What's the name of that development on you're side of town that's doing that?

Old 11-16-2006, 10:59 AM

27,813 posts, read 37,842,567 times
The most striking example of varied style in a tract development (sounds like the name of an Oscar ) I know of is Verrado just north of Buckeye. Many of the plans show a craftsman influence. I believe they all have a front porch. And you see colors like green and muted yellow too. About 15 years ago, there was a neo-Victorian push. They were selling homes with fish scales and lap siding. One example I know of is an Ahwatukee area north of Elliott and west of 48th street. To be honest, I always thought they looked out of place with the saguaro cactus of South Mountain in the background.

I thought I saw that Gilbert was doing some things with novel architectural styles too.

Old 11-16-2006, 12:02 PM

20,005 posts, read 67,942,110 times
Being from Chicagoland and visiting Arizona every year, I can attest to the fact that theyre changing the styles somewhat. BUT, everything is a earthy tone, which is cool, but because of that many people probably see the homes as all similar, which they are in that aspect, but there is also architectural differences. Sun City and Surprise and Anthem are your typical cookie-cutter subdivision cities, but only in areas. Parts of Phoenix and Glendale also have cookie-cutter homes, but thats not a bad thing necessarily. You want cookie-cutter homes? Go to LAs burbs!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:14 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,351,527 times
cookie cutters are great if you are out of sugar or flour. Open your window and knock on the neihbors window. Very handy you don't have to leave the security of your house.

Old 11-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,070,273 times
Verrado...thanks! Fish scales are a little extreme. Lincolns home in Springfield IL; houses like I saw driving to Cooperstown from upstate NY: It would be refreshing to see some new home builders here take a step back a consider that type of architecture. They could of course be modern on the inside, just mix the variety of what you see from the street.
The tract home we live in here actually had an elevation choice with a front porch! After we started the purchase, we were told it had been discontinued. We were not happy. It still had more good points than bad -no 2 story's towering over us, great floorplan, good sized lot, etc- and we bought anyway.

I talked about the bland colors, but I think the material bothers me just as much. How about an amendment on the next ballot banning stucco?

Maybe someone knows the answer to this also: What ever happened to "integra block"? I had a place built in Chandler out of integra, with a full basement, in a cul-de-sac, back in 1990. (Great market back then...I lost it and $500.00 because it was contingent on the sale of a house I couldn't seem to give away). It was touted as energy efficient then just disappeared. Cost, maybe?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:54 PM

1,782 posts, read 4,437,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
cookie cutters are great if you are out of sugar or flour. Open your window and knock on the neihbors window. Very handy you don't have to leave the security of your house.
You rock. I'm still laughing I'm a realtor up in the Prescott area. I can't wait to get a listing in a particular subdivision up here. For the directions I am going to write: Turn right on XYZ Lane to the brown house on the left.

Old 11-16-2006, 07:41 PM

436 posts, read 488,512 times
rambrush has a good sense of humor!

As they say, "In Prongscorn Ranch & Cookie Cutter Ridge you can hear your next door neighbors flushing their toilets."

I looked at a Hassayampa townhouse in 2002 that had a wood paneled elevator. The price on those models has really shot to the sky since 2002. The hoa fees were the killer in those units - now the sales price slays you & the hoa fees bury you. Cali's will pay full admission though, and they think they're getting a real steal. Who knows? If the selling prices keep climbing as quickly as in the past, maybe they are.

brian 'I don't need no stinking clubhouse or tennis courts' _2

Last edited by brian_2; 11-16-2006 at 07:51 PM..

Old 11-18-2006, 04:51 PM

1,552 posts, read 5,351,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggsHomes View Post
You rock. I'm still laughing I'm a realtor up in the Prescott area. I can't wait to get a listing in a particular subdivision up here. For the directions I am going to write: Turn right on XYZ Lane to the brown house on the left.
Oh that would be great, cause the houses are all painted the same and the roofs as well.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM

615 posts, read 903,877 times
The newer homes in Arizona are plane and bland looking!
The floor plans are basic, all the homes look the same, landscaping
is brutal, kitchens are really not upgraded, and the walls white paint.
To me i be depressed as hell to live in one of the homes, i rather
live in a prison cell...
Look at the new homes in Boise, ID they are beautifully crafted and
not thrown together in 3 months like the newer Phoenix area homes.
The builders have deep pockets and short arms, and can careless.
But i bet if they built these homes with lots of upgrades and use some
color they would sell a lot faster...
This is an absolute fact period!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona