Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 11:36 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,607,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
Arizona seems to prefer the lamer "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs to the more pointed "Keep Right Except To Pass" signs I see in other states.....who wants to admit they're "slower"?

I've been a passenger in cars where the driver camps out in the left lane and it's a burden not to yell out to move to the right!.....admittedly, these are very well-educated, decent people who just don't seem to get it (or were never taught)

when I was a kid in high school in the late 70s, drivers' ed was a very popular class.....I've heard this class has mostly disappeared from most high schools across the country....true?
Signs can be written without much thought sometimes. For example, which sounds better: No Outlet, or Dead End? Better yet, which street would you prefer to live in?

Not sure about drivers ed classes in high schools, but Arizona provides drivers training and courses:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...+in+Arizona%3F

Old 10-26-2015, 12:04 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,366,209 times
I chose to take driver's education through my high school because I knew it would be a more intensive course than the ones many of my friends took through for-profit instructors / schools. The government / school course is going to make it a lot more time-consuming and in-depth just because that's what government does, for better or worse. A private student is going to want speed, they want to get it done. The government has no qualms about "wasting your time" and so will put you through a lot more repetition and rigor. E.g., parallel parking wasn't on the state driving exam but my high school still made us all learn it and practice it. And so my whole life I've enjoyed parallel parking and have taught other people how to do it. I guess it's your usual efficiency vs. intensity/depth argument.

It is disappointing that so few (or possibly no) Arizona high schools teach driver's ed anymore, but I do understand that there is a lot of overhead in maintaining and insuring vehicles, etc., so I guess that's why so many schools don't teach it.

In terms of "getting over," I agree for once with a driving thread complaint. Drivers are more likely to go 0-5-10 over in the far left lane(s) here than in pretty much any other state. However, while this can be annoying, I wonder if it isn't somewhat of a safety feature ... makes it harder for people to go 100 and zoom in and out and all over the lanes zig-zagging through cars. I wonder if anyone's ever studied that sort of thing.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:08 PM

4,384 posts, read 4,381,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
I have been in AZ since the beginning of this year and one things that I noticed is that people use the passing "left" lane as their cruising lane. I mean these people are barely doing the speed limit! and sometimes you find semi's doing the same! what's the deal? why don't people pass and get over? free up the left lane so that you won't bottleneck all the traffic behind you... every time I see this behavior, I wish I had one one of these:

to push them out of my way!!!
Oh I almost forgot the people who feel they don't need to use turn signals when switching lanes. I just feel like ramming them off the road and watch their vehicles blow up behind me.
I don't like slow traffic in the left lane either but, you might want to ease up on the ramming and pushing feelings. Maybe a little decaf?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:33 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,675,136 times
Especially bad on the 10 between Buckeye and the CA border. But, it doesn't hold a candle to the Midwest. I swear those people use the left lane as the cruising lane. It's not uncommon for me to cruise for 10+ miles in the #3 or #4 (if available) lane with absolutely zero obstructions. Passing on the right? It's a way of life up there. Even slow traffic enters the highway and immediately jumps 2 lanes to the left to fart along.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:34 PM

127 posts, read 195,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grampaTom View Post
I don't like slow traffic in the left lane either but, you might want to ease up on the ramming and pushing feelings. Maybe a little decaf?
i don't drink coffee.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:07 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
Are they going the speed limit? If so they are obeying the law, not everyone wants to speed.
Depends on the flow of traffic. AZ law specifically states that slower traffic must keep to the right. If you are in the far left lane and driving slower than the general flow, you are breaking the law (even if driving at the speed limit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
It's only a small number, but it only takes one to clog the fast lane. What's interesting is that even if I pass in front of them, they still don't get the message and as I look back, I can see them going seemingly even slower, with everyone else behind them stuck.
In many cases, the left lane slowpokes are trying to be their own personal speed control police. It's not so much that they don't get the message because I see many people pass them on the right (and even from the HOV lane), but they still don't move over. I don't consider myself an aggressive driver in general, but I'm more so of one when it comes to these slow drivers. When I'm in the left lane behind a slowpoke who won't move over, I often move to the next lane, accelerate, and then cut off the slow driver so that I'm on my merry way. Even then, they still don't move to the right, so I'm convinced that it's more stubbornness on their part rather than being clueless.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:44 PM

4,541 posts, read 1,158,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Not true. The "Slower Traffic Keep Right" signs are written in black paint on a white background, meaning it's compulsory, not advisory. If you get passed on the right or have people wanting to get around you and you're in the left lane, it doesn't matter how fast you're going - you're breaking the law and causing the problem. Furthermore, there is no highway around here where the flow of traffic is anything close to the posted speed limit. You are not the pace car. Move over.
There is no highway around here where the flow of traffic is anything close to the posted speed limit? I'm not quite sure where you're driving but I'm not about to get over because some idiot feels the need to go 85 mph while I'm obeying the law. I guarantee that they will be pulled over and given a ticket and I wont.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heath V View Post
There is no highway around here where the flow of traffic is anything close to the posted speed limit? I'm not quite sure where you're driving but I'm not about to get over because some idiot feels the need to go 85 mph while I'm obeying the law. I guarantee that they will be pulled over and given a ticket and I wont.
Umm speed limit in most areas around here is 65 mph. 98% of the drivers out there drive at least 10 mph over the limit, even the cops. Just get over and let other people pass.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:47 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabledveteran1 View Post
Umm speed limit in most areas around here is 65 mph. 98% of the drivers out there drive at least 10 mph over the limit, even the cops. Just get over and let other people pass.
Exactly! Who cares if "some idiot" is doing 85 in the left lane? Yes, he's breaking the law by excessively speeding, but the slow driver who is hindering the traffic flow is also breaking the law by not moving to the right. Besides, the law about keeping to the right is an absolute law, whereas speed limits are not absolute.

In any case, wouldn't it be better & safer for the slower driver to move over so that somebody can get by? Remaining in the left lane & holding up traffic is not only inconsiderate, but dangerous. It can easily lead to a road rage incident. You never know who will pull out a gun and shoot somebody for a simple traffic irritation ... or use their car as a weapon. Slower drivers shouldn't even be in the left lane to begin with. Why is it that difficult for some of them to understand???

Old 10-26-2015, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Exactly! Who cares if "some idiot" is doing 85 in the left lane? Yes, he's breaking the law by excessively speeding, but the slow driver who is hindering the traffic flow is also breaking the law by not moving to the right. Besides, the law about keeping to the right is an absolute law, whereas speed limits are not absolute.

In any case, wouldn't it be better & safer for the slower driver to move over so that somebody can get by? Remaining in the left lane & holding up traffic is not only inconsiderate, but dangerous. It can easily lead to a road rage incident. You never know who will pull out a gun and shoot somebody for a simple traffic irritation ... or use their car as a weapon. Slower drivers shouldn't even be in the left lane to begin with. Why is it that difficult for some of them to understand???
I'm with you! and people wonder why all the road rage shootings going on the highways. It's probably due to all these righteous, entitled, law abiding citizens driving on the left lane
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona