Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you think that gun rights attract people to Arizona?
yes 22 42.31%
no 30 57.69%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 02:37 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,809,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Like I always tell people... If youre moving here from somewhere like Chicago or Detroit, and are a Democrat, and hoping to escape crime, RIDICULOUS taxes, having Constitutional rights trampled on (ie firearm ownership), etc, I hope to God that youre not stupid enough to come here and continue to vote for the same type of schmucks who ran your previous city into the ground. I can only hope that they have learned their lessons. Something tells me theyre not brilliant enough to see the big picture, though. Case in point: my idiotic neighbor just moved here from CA a few months back and I've already overheard her saying "we just need to work on getting Ducey out of office".

Some people need swift kicks to the head. I nominate my Prius-driving, liberal nutjob neighbor. Anyone wanna help?

As for gun rights being a big attraction for people moving here? I cant see it. I think theyre looking to escape cold winters (even though ours sucks, too, at the moment), high taxes, and overcrowded cities. But, some people (myself included), find it EXTREMELY nice to know that I can open carry here and defend myself against scum thugs if need be. In Chicago, youre the criminal if you own a gun.

Hey Dems, hows that no gun law working out for you? Looks like Chicago still has the worst crime in the nation. Good job! Funny part is, the thugs doing the crimes are the ones who continue to vote in you useless turds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Some people need swift kicks to the head. I nominate my Prius-driving, liberal nutjob neighbor. Anyone wanna help?
Hell yes!

Last edited by AzScorpion12; 12-30-2015 at 02:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 03:09 PM

134 posts, read 158,350 times
I voted for gun rights attract people. I guess your outlooks depends on your social circle. Most of our friends who are gun enthusiasts have plans to or have already left for mostly Arizona and Texas. We'll be following in a few years, primarily for 2nd amendment rights and a more, say, realistic (as opposed to unicorns and rainbows) outlook on life.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:11 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixSomeday View Post
I doubt it has anything to do with guns or politics (let me tell you, I prefer the opposite of AZ on those counts). I would think the two biggest drivers are cost of living and the winter weather.

As for jobs, it was much easier to get a software development job out here than it was back home and at my entry level status, the pay was not that different. Back home you have to somehow have years of professional experience right out of school, or be an ivy league PhD. Here, it's more sensible. That said, my motivations were cost of living, traffic, and over crowding (which contributes significantly to both).

And what is the major cost advantage that Arizona has in comparison to Illinois, California, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio? Far lower taxes at the state and local levels.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:26 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,946,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
And what is the major cost advantage that Arizona has in comparison to Illinois, California, New Jersey, New York, and Ohio? Far lower taxes at the state and local levels.
The list is much longer for lower living expenses

food is cheaper

insurance is cheaper

clothing is cheaper

gas is cheaper

housing is cheaper

no tolls

Az has better roads which mean less vehicle expenses

Old 12-30-2015, 03:27 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Quote:
Can't speak to the other states, but coming from CA the cost advantage is in living. Rents are about 2.5-3x higher where I'm from in Silicon Valley, and purchase prices for SFHs are 4-5x as much. That alone makes all other cost differences null and void for me personally. Although gas being a full dollar cheaper sure is nice, as well as my car insurance.

As for taxes, I'm not sure what people are talking about with AZ being a lot lower than CA, at least in terms of paycheck. In CA, the state tax for my same paycheck is actually $9 lower in CA, but it's made up for by SDI (basically you pay your own way for unemployment) being around the same amount. The difference between CA and AZ for me therefore comes out to literally $0.02 - in favor of CA. I guess people must mean lower taxes in terms of property, because it sure isn't in the paycheck.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:34 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
I think the average CD poster over estimates the importance of politics to the average American. Most individuals and families will move to a place predominantly based on perceived opportunities, whether jobs, proximity of family, COL and QOL. The politics of a state is just something they'll deal with. Whether that's an added inconvenience or a positive depends on the individual/family.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:44 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I think the average CD poster over estimates the importance of politics to the average American. Most individuals and families will move to a place predominantly based on perceived opportunities, whether jobs, proximity of family, COL and QOL. The politics of a state is just something they'll deal with. Whether that's an added inconvenience or a positive depends on the individual/family.
I think so too, and that's exactly the case for me. I can't say I'm wild about the moumentally ignorant and bigoted idiots that run AZ, but as long as it doesn't noticeably and severely impact my life on a daily basis, I'll just deal with it.

Old 12-30-2015, 03:54 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,731 times
Quote:
Lower wages and benefits is the biggest factor of having a low cost of living. Mexico has a lower cost of living than Arizona which has a lower cost of living than Massachusetts.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:02 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
As long as you can duplicate your income and quality of life. I would not go to a state with better gun laws if their economy was in the crapper and I would have to live in a trailer home as opposed to dealing with less desirable gun laws and living in a nice house with a good job and just hide my guns.

The ability to go plink does not outweigh living in a nice home with a good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedolce View Post
I voted for gun rights attract people. I guess your outlooks depends on your social circle. Most of our friends who are gun enthusiasts have plans to or have already left for mostly Arizona and Texas. We'll be following in a few years, primarily for 2nd amendment rights and a more, say, realistic (as opposed to unicorns and rainbows) outlook on life.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times
The goal is to reduce struggle, a lateral income move to a lower cost of living area is ideal. If you have to take a pay cut, even if it matches the new prices there better be profound intangible benefits to the move because your moving expenses alone will put you in the hole for a while.

Being able to leverage a high income in a low cost of living area is the goal. No one wants to scrape just to put together a down payment and be 2 months away from ruin in a job loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Lower wages and benefits is the biggest factor of having a low cost of living. Mexico has a lower cost of living than Arizona which has a lower cost of living than Massachusetts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona