Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 12:18 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,957,002 times

Advertisements

Upon further review of State statute in place something interesting came up. Presently, County Superintendents are required to hold a teachers certification without specifications on subject. A teachers certification requires a Bachelor's. HB 2003 actually REDUCES the current educational requirement.

Because Arizona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 09:11 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Upon further review of State statute in place something interesting came up. Presently, County Superintendents are required to hold a teachers certification without specifications on subject. A teachers certification requires a Bachelor's. HB 2003 actually REDUCES the current educational requirement.

Because Arizona.
I really wish I was surprised. However, we did vote in a State Superintendent that has no teaching experience or education

Old 01-13-2016, 12:27 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,261,295 times
Most of these bills would accomplish little or nothing except putting more government intervention where it's not needed. I could probably go along with #2, #3, #8, and #13 just on principle only. The problem with #2, #6, #8, #10, #14, and #15 is the fact that schools are gov't funded in the first place. If they were privately funded as they should be, they would be mostly exempt from state laws, and there would be no need to pass all these bills. Also, the highly controversial Diane Douglas would be out of a job as there would be no need for a Superintendent of Public Instruction.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:34 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Don't tell me what I have to wear when riding a motorcycle. If I want to splash my brains on the pavement that is my god given right as an Arizonan.

Campus carry is a necessity. Doesn't mean anyone has to. But it is a pain in the neck to be unable to, though I do not approve of registration. The bill will fail on that point alone. Plus all the liberal ninnies will get it killed because you know, it's a gun free zone of tolerance.

The crime to photograph a cop bill had better fail or kiss your rights goodbye again. This is a B S bill by a former bully cop turned legislator who wants his bully buddies protected when they bash someone head in. We must not let this pass - say goodbye to freedom of information, freedom of the press and journalism if it does.

Don't tell me I have to vote. What's the point of voting this year? My choice are democrats who want to take my guns and redistribute my money, or republicans who want to kill me because I'm gay. I vote none of the above. Besides an Arizona vote has no bearing on the Presidential election, we do not count.

I propose a new law. Every citizen of AZ should pay a minimal "Jamie" tax. If everyone gives me just one measly dollar each year I can live the lifestyle to which I am truly suited! Please vote for this law!

Old 01-13-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamies View Post
Don't tell me what I have to wear when riding a motorcycle. If I want to splash my brains on the pavement that is my god given right as an Arizonan.

Campus carry is a necessity. Doesn't mean anyone has to. But it is a pain in the neck to be unable to, though I do not approve of registration. The bill will fail on that point alone. Plus all the liberal ninnies will get it killed because you know, it's a gun free zone of tolerance.

The crime to photograph a cop bill had better fail or kiss your rights goodbye again. This is a B S bill by a former bully cop turned legislator who wants his bully buddies protected when they bash someone head in. We must not let this pass - say goodbye to freedom of information, freedom of the press and journalism if it does.

Don't tell me I have to vote. What's the point of voting this year? My choice are democrats who want to take my guns and redistribute my money, or republicans who want to kill me because I'm gay. I vote none of the above. Besides an Arizona vote has no bearing on the Presidential election, we do not count.

I propose a new law. Every citizen of AZ should pay a minimal "Jamie" tax. If everyone gives me just one measly dollar each year I can live the lifestyle to which I am truly suited! Please vote for this law!
While I agree with you that nationally we aren't a swing state, we have a 10% or so buffer on the state going R consistently in presidential elections meaning that you can either: affirm the inevitable (waste) or vote against the current (another waste).

But mandatory registration serves a few purposes, primaries would be more important in Arizona. Moreover, I believe the proposal is geared at local elections. I did some campaign work during the last cycle for a certain party that didn't fair too well. Our people on the ground didn't have an issue with difference of opinion, the issue is apathy. We have some divisive people representing us, they win in sometimes uncontested elections or by 90-10 margins. They know full well that nobody knows who their state representative is, what Congressional District they reside in is, who their state senators are, who runs for minor positions on boards like CAP etc.

Maybe that's a good thing, maybe it's not. Because you have the other side where people just circle R or D without looking at the person. Full disclosure, in local elections people declare parties that win, not what they represent. Local leaders switch affiliations all the time.

There are good arguments on either side, but after seeing it first hand for so many years I can appreciate a stab at resolving apathy in this state.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:27 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
I don't have a dog in this fight either as I do not vote in AZ, but from afar, here's my take on some:

HB2007: Pass it. Time to stop prohibition and $50/oz is cheaper than WA state's 25% tax (at $10/gram retail, that's $70/oz)

SB1054: Fail it. Doubt it would stand constitutionality anyways.

HB2033: Pass it with amendments. Time to stop schools from being 'gun free' zones, but registration is wrong.

HB2052: Fail it. I reserve the right to splatter my brains on the pavement IF I wreck my motorcycle.

SB1055: Pass it. This is the computer age, so why not and what would be the harm?

The rest I have some opinions on, but would only expound my knowledge and opinion if I voted there. However, IMHO college degrees do not always make one smarter or better suited for any job.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:47 PM

16. HB 2024: Would prohibit the State of Arizona from cooperating with and enforcing 1) Presidential Executive orders the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress; 2) Federal Legislation the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress; and 3) Supreme Court rulings the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress. Mark Finchem R-Oro Valley.

17. HB 2098P: Would require corporate donors to political campaigns to report donations exceeding $5000 in state races, $2500 in legislative races, or $1000 in county, city, town or local race. Reports would be made with the Secretary of State the day following the contribution and would be added to a public registry. Brophy McGee R-Phoenix/Paradise Valley

18. HB 2057: Would remove the requirement that Charter and Public Schools are to fund JTED (Joint Technical Education Districts). Districts and Charters would be allowed to offer JTED, but they are no longer required to, the requirements regarding funding for JTED and its obligations would also be removed. John Kavanagh R-Fountain Hills

19. HB 2090: Would elminate the language found in ARS 25-101 making it illegal for the marriage between members of the same sex, also fixes some errors found in the statute in their description of other forms of illegal marriage (i.e. Marriage between Brother-Sister is changed to Siblings). Randy Friese D-Tucson

20. HB 2110P: Would make the First Friday in October "Native American Day." Victoria Steele D-Tucson

21. HB 2173: Would establish a Private Prison Study Committee. The Committee will consist of an extensive and diverse group ranging from Judges, Staffers, Legislators, Attorneys and Local leaders who would be charged with presenting a long term study report later in 2016 with recommendations on the use of Private Prisons moving forward. Richard Andrade D-West Phoenix/Glendale

22. HB 2174P: Would require that Private contractors contracting with the State of Arizona for the purposes of providing prisons would be required to report any and all costs that are currently required of State run prisons. They would also be required to make those costs public on request. Richard Andrade D-West Phoenix/Glendale

23. HB 2199P: Would prohibit the use of booking photos on publicly accessible websites before persons books were actually convicted of a crime. Think the MCSO Daily Mugshots page, that would be illegal for those who haven't been convicted yet. Jay Lawrence R-Scottsdale

These have hit my desk, there are many many more that I will get to periodically.

The purpose of this thread is to give some people an easy way to see what is being proprosed in Arizona right now, we have a long way to go but here is a feel for it, maybe it will get some of us into local politics, maybe it will help see if your local representative represents you.

Old 01-17-2016, 07:37 AM

2,653 posts, read 3,045,998 times
JP, thanks for taking the time to write this post. Informative.

RE: HB 1019, I generally vote R, but I'd support this Dem 1019 bill (discussion of safe sexual practices for homosexual youths.) Since they're more at risk of HIV than non-gay youth, why wouldn't we want to protect our kids from this disease? In broader terms though, I think ALL kids should be taught in school of what STDs are, how they're spread and what to do to avoid them, including abstinence. It's called public health, not how to have sex.

Re: HB2052, requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets. Another time I'm supporting a Dem bill. IMO, you can't have it both ways. Vehicle occupants are required to wear seat belts, so why do motorcyclists not have to follow safety precautions in like fashion? Pass it.

Old 01-17-2016, 01:13 PM

848 posts, read 967,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
16. HB 2024: Would prohibit the State of Arizona from cooperating with and enforcing 1) Presidential Executive orders the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress; 2) Federal Legislation the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress; and 3) Supreme Court rulings the State deems unconstitutional and/or not voted on by Congress. Mark Finchem R-Oro Valley.
Yeah, good luck with that, even if it passes. I'll be on the edge of my seat with popcorn if it does and AZ decides to exercise it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougStark View Post
Re: HB2052, requiring motorcyclists to wear helmets. Another time I'm supporting a Dem bill. IMO, you can't have it both ways. Vehicle occupants are required to wear seat belts, so why do motorcyclists not have to follow safety precautions in like fashion? Pass it.
I was thinking the same thing. Similar to bike helmets too.

People wanting it to be their choice to "splatter their brains everywhere", as they put it, shows how truly unaware of the actual consequences they are. As their bodies are rotting in the ground over the years, I'm sure all of their friends and loved ones will be like "Well, it was worth it to lose him, at least he was muy macho and surpremely cool not wearing that helmet. His coolness sets an example for us all that we can only hope to die as awesomely following." I'm sure it won't bother them at all. Nope. Not one bit.

Old 01-17-2016, 09:54 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,949,132 times
Regarding the motorcycle bill, remember we (Bullhead City, AZ and Laughlin NV) host the third largest motorcycle gathering in the country behind Daytona and Sturgis. A big reason people come is they are from states where their freedoms have been stolen by petty tyrants in government, and they come to Arizona to experience a little of what it means to still live and ride as a free man or woman who is allowed to make their own choices.

Jeeze, next thing the libertards will want to stop us from using cell phones in our cars like the subjects of Gov Moonbeam in Commiefornia.

Make no law that infringes on the right of a free people to exercise their own good judgement. If someone wants to kill themselves or become a vegetable, let them. If in the process they are going to kill me or you, then maybe we have to curtail it. But I'd rather risk getting hit by an idiot on a cell phone than be denied the right to conduct my business while driving safely.

Just as I'd rather risk a felon or nut case having a gun than to have MY right to carry a gun curtailed in any way. Without a gun I can do nothing about the former criminals, but with a gun I have a chance. I want the right to have my chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona