U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 03:06 PM

9 posts, read 135,398 times

Advertisements

My husband & I are looking for an inexpensive place to retire in a warm climate. If you're retired in Northern Arizona we would love to hear your comments and pros and cons of retirement there. We've been looking at Prescott, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley & Ash Fork.

Thanks,

HR Lady
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM

360 posts, read 789,501 times
It depends on what you want.

Ashfork, from what I gather, is cheap land for those who REALLY don't want to be disturbed. Prescott and Prescott Valley and the general area are nice, ideal for retirees since there isn't many good paying jobs in the area. Cost of living isn't too bad.

Ashfork, like I said, is just desolate. If I could afford it, I'd take Flagstaff, Prescott, Payson, or Sedona.

You didn't mention Payson. Too much snow for ya? The area is really nice.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:35 PM

12,155 posts, read 10,767,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HR Lady View Post
My husband & I are looking for an inexpensive place to retire in a warm climate. If you're retired in Northern Arizona we would love to hear your comments and pros and cons of retirement there. We've been looking at Prescott, Chino Valley, Prescott Valley & Ash Fork.

Thanks,

HR Lady
Ash Fork can get pretty darn cold as well as Williams and Flagstaff.

Old 02-06-2008, 04:58 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,177,571 times
Quote:

Thanks,

HR Lady
Looks like you've already gotten the scoop on Ash Fork. As for Prescott, Prescott Valley (PV) and Chino Valley (CV), it's going to probably be a matter of preference. All three are located within a 10-15 mile radius of Prescott. Of the three, Prescott is definitely the priciest of the three (higher by about 25%), but it also has a really neat historic downtown area, cool neighborhoods in the pines and the boulders, etc. (I guess you'd say it has the most "character".) Prescott Valley has some nice subdivisions with more affordable housing prices. PV is trying to change it's image from a bedroom community that sprung up along Hwy 69 to a shopping area/community in its own right. PV is flatter than Prescott, as is CV (note the "Valley" in the names ), so it will be a little windier in those areas. Chino Valley is an older farming/ranching community, so most of the homes are on small acreages. Lots of horse lovers in CV.

Each community definitely has in own individual "feel". Usually one will hit a chord more than the others. But it's really neat that you can have such a variety to choose from within our "tri-city" area. You'll just have to come for a visit and check it out to see what appeals to you.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:20 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,560,800 times
Cool Prescott is wonderful but...

...pricey. Prescott Valley is wall to wall houses now and a lot of strip malls and traffic. Chino Valley is rural but 20 minutes from Prescott and really a nice area. Not as costly as some areas, much less dense as far as housing goes. Steer clear of Ash Fork...cheap but really isolated and there are a lot of problems with illegals and crime in that area. I work for the Yavapai County Sheriff so I see it all the time.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:45 PM

6,356 posts, read 10,651,928 times
You might consider Kingman as well. Population 28,000, fairly reasonable shops and services for a town that size. Centrally located, 90 miles to Henderson, 100 miles to Vegas, 60 miles to Lake Havasu City, 35 miles to Bullhead/Laughlin. Right on I40, and Rt. 66. Clean air, no traffic, very modest cost of living. Not too hot or too cold. Lot of folks here from SoCal.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM

74 posts, read 227,585 times
Quote:

Thanks,

HR Lady
Hard to ans. What are your concerns? I know a bit about nw az, Kingman, Golden Valley, Bullhead City. Where are u from, does it snow where u r? R u paying high taxes. Property is fairly cheap, taxes r low. I'm guessing Kingman would be for u.

Old 04-17-2008, 10:38 PM

1,257 posts, read 1,923,579 times
I'm thinking Kingman ....nice climate ....average high temps mid 50's in Jan .... mid 90's July ....not too far from Las Vegas ....Laughlin,NV (even closer) ...Page,AZ is kinda nice too ...but cooler in winter ...stick away from Bullhead City (unless you like blast furnace heat)

Old 04-18-2008, 09:01 AM

17,571 posts, read 20,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gretchen B View Post
Looks like you've already gotten the scoop on Ash Fork. As for Prescott, Prescott Valley (PV) and Chino Valley (CV), it's going to probably be a matter of preference. All three are located within a 10-15 mile radius of Prescott. Of the three, Prescott is definitely the priciest of the three (higher by about 25%), but it also has a really neat historic downtown area, cool neighborhoods in the pines and the boulders, etc. (I guess you'd say it has the most "character".) Prescott Valley has some nice subdivisions with more affordable housing prices. PV is trying to change it's image from a bedroom community that sprung up along Hwy 69 to a shopping area/community in its own right. PV is flatter than Prescott, as is CV (note the "Valley" in the names ), so it will be a little windier in those areas. Chino Valley is an older farming/ranching community, so most of the homes are on small acreages. Lots of horse lovers in CV.

Each community definitely has in own individual "feel". Usually one will hit a chord more than the others. But it's really neat that you can have such a variety to choose from within our "tri-city" area. You'll just have to come for a visit and check it out to see what appeals to you.
Curious. What is a typical (3/2, decent area) home price in each of Prescott, Prescott Valley/Dewey, Chino/Ashfork run these days? I don't mean some foreclosure or short sale deal, but a home priced to comparables. Thx.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:16 PM

2,203 posts, read 6,177,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Curious. What is a typical (3/2, decent area) home price in each of Prescott, Prescott Valley/Dewey, Chino/Ashfork run these days? I don't mean some foreclosure or short sale deal, but a home priced to comparables. Thx.
There's non-short sale deals out there that are pretty good. A lot is going to depend on how motivated the individual seller is. Also the age/condition/sf of the home is a big factor on the price, too. But here's a sampling of some of my recent sales/listings:

1650 sf 2004 build in nice Prescott subdivision. 3/2/2 with gas FP. Granite countertops, 24" tile floors, nicely landscaped, on a .2 acre lot Sold $270,000. This was a very good deal. Comparable homes in Prescott may run as high as $325k to $350k.

1680 sf 2004 build in Prescott Country Club (Dewey). 3/2/2 with gas FP and built-in entertainment center. Very nice large yard (.25) Listed at $289,000
Another 1600 sf house in the same subdivision, but older (1989) Listed at $235,000.

Prescott Valley prices will run about the same, maybe a little lower depending on the area and age of the house. Chino Valley has a wide variety of prices, but generally speaking on a par with Pres Valley.

From what I can tell when I've been driving around the Valley, I don't think our prices have tanked quite as much as the outlying areas of Phx. We just didn't have all the new home subdivisions you guys did. We're still seeing lots of new listings adding to the inventory, and I expect that there will be some further price softening before things head back up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona