Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2016, 03:12 PM

2,375 posts, read 2,706,169 times

Advertisements

Has anyone heard of this?

Someone showed me a "Tenant Tracking Form," supposedly pursuant to an Arizona law as of 2014. It seems to charge a fee every time a tenant moves in.

Seems very odd to me. I should mention that this tracking form was typed by a local company, not a government form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 03:34 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
I assume this is the beginning of the document in question? Is "it" your HOA? I'd advise you to look up the cited laws.

Westglen Villas Homeowners Association c/o Vision Community Management
16625 S. Desert Foothills Pkwy,
Phoenix, AZ 85048
Office: (480) 759-4945, Extension 1120
TenantTracking@WeAreVision.com

TENANT TRACKING FORM

Pursuant to Arizona state law §33-1806.01 / §33-1260.01 which went into effect on July 24, 2014, completion of this form is required if you rent out your home. Each time a new tenant moves into your home, a new form must be completed and a $25.00 fee paid. If the form is not fully completed or not returned within 15 days after the lease start date, a $15.00 late fee will be charged

Old 02-25-2016, 03:48 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Looks like the fee is paid directly to the HOA, §33-1806.01(C), or COA, §33-1260.01(C), and has nothing to do with the government. The laws above limit the information the associations can ask for though there appears to be wiggle room. The laws basically give the associations permission to charge the fee with a cap on it and enforce a deadline.

Old 02-26-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I assume this is the beginning of the document in question? Is "it" your HOA? I'd advise you to look up the cited laws.

Westglen Villas Homeowners Association c/o Vision Community Management
16625 S. Desert Foothills Pkwy,
Phoenix, AZ 85048
Office: (480) 759-4945, Extension 1120
TenantTracking@WeAreVision.com

TENANT TRACKING FORM

Pursuant to Arizona state law §33-1806.01 / §33-1260.01 which went into effect on July 24, 2014, completion of this form is required if you rent out your home. Each time a new tenant moves into your home, a new form must be completed and a $25.00 fee paid. If the form is not fully completed or not returned within 15 days after the lease start date, a $15.00 late fee will be charged

Thanks! The paper I was shown (not Westglen) didn't cite any number for the law.

Does anyone else think it's extremely peculiar for a state law to award money to a third-party company that does no work and is not involved in the transaction between two other parties? For instance, in a traditional rental via a broker, I think it's the trade association that agrees on standard fees - but those are negotiable, not laws, and the broker is actually perfor,ing a service.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:09 PM

9,195 posts, read 16,634,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Thanks! The paper I was shown (not Westglen) didn't cite any number for the law.

Does anyone else think it's extremely peculiar for a state law to award money to a third-party company that does no work and is not involved in the transaction between two other parties? For instance, in a traditional rental via a broker, I think it's the trade association that agrees on standard fees - but those are negotiable, not laws, and the broker is actually perfor,ing a service.
The law isn't awarding any money to anyone. As far as I can understand, it's capping the fee that can be charged.

The fee itself should be spelled out in the CC&Rs though.

Old 02-27-2016, 11:39 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:

They aren't awarding funds to the HOA, just limiting the abusive fees that HOA's were charging. (Before the law was passed, some hoa's were charging much much more, just because they could get away with it. ) In our business climate, it's amazing that the legislature was even able to do that.

Old 02-27-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They aren't awarding funds to the HOA, just limiting the abusive fees that HOA's were charging. (Before the law was passed, some hoa's were charging much much more, just because they could get away with it. ) In our business climate, it's amazing that the legislature was even able to do that.
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The form I was shown simply collects tenant names and charges a fee, which I think was $15. I assumed the check would be made out to the management company, but maybe it's meant for the HOA. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the CCRs.

So I'm confused about the purpose. I thought maybe it was for tracking transients. Now you have me thinking it just led to the creations of a new fee. I'm hoping to get some free time to look up the law - and hope it will be comprehensible to a layman.

Old 02-27-2016, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Sorry, I guess I wasn't clear. The form I was shown simply collects tenant names and charges a fee, which I think was $15. I assumed the check would be made out to the management company, but maybe it's meant for the HOA. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be in the CCRs.

So I'm confused about the purpose. I thought maybe it was for tracking transients. Now you have me thinking it just led to the creations of a new fee. I'm hoping to get some free time to look up the law - and hope it will be comprehensible to a layman.
the fee was just a way for HOA's to make money - like many "sin taxes", the fees were easy to get those who *don't* rent out their houses to approve. Tax him, not me. HOA paperwork fees were the same way, charging new owners outrageous fees & the current owners didn't care, because they weren't the ones getting nailed. Most fees in an HOA neighborhood do go to the management company if there is one, and of course the management company usually gets approval easily for fees that don't effect the current owners. Thats why we needed a law limiting the abuse. Even so, the legislature left a lot of abuse in the law - a new owner has to buy a copy of the hoa rules, and that .pdf file on a burned disc can still legally cost $400, plus an extra $100 if you want it in less than ten days.

Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM

4,468 posts, read 10,610,480 times
I don't know about AZ, but when I lived in FL, the HOA management would run credit reports and do background checks on prospective tenants. and the tenant had to be approved to move in. That's what the fee there was for.

Old 02-27-2016, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon View Post
I don't know about AZ, but when I lived in FL, the HOA management would run credit reports and do background checks on prospective tenants. and the tenant had to be approved to move in. That's what the fee there was for.
A credit report & background / public records check costs about $10 if you're set up with a service (and anyone who runs very many should be).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: