Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2016, 01:47 PM

4 posts, read 6,360 times

Advertisements

Moved to the north west, In love with it here, but hubby doesnt seem to have as many work opportunities, its only been a month but he is a chef and there isnt much work out here and its not as fast paced. We saved for two years to move here and I just dont know how its gonna last forever with the limited amount of restaurants, am I crazy to want to move back after only 4 weeks!? I feel pretty embarrassed, I havent even talked to hubby about moving back because its so soon, but thinking about his future in the industry here is stressful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 01:55 PM

5,020 posts, read 7,447,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM19 View Post
am I crazy to want to move back after only 4 weeks!? I feel pretty embarrassed
IMO you need to give it at least 6 months.

But if you do end up moving.. don't be embarrassed.. be proud you took a chance.

Old 03-04-2016, 10:26 PM

720 posts, read 734,029 times
Give it a chance... it took my daughter over a year to like AZ ... new place, new people, no security (job), of course you want to run home - but you're making a new home there you saved for 2 years for a reason - keep your eye on the prize and don't look back - at least for a long while to evaluate best of luck!!!

Old 03-05-2016, 06:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,601,044 times
It's totally normal to have homesickness within the first 6 months of moving. It will go away, but until it does knowing it's a normal feeling will help you get through. Things will be different and scary at first, try to list the positives. After 6 months of trying to get use to it then you can judge. A lot of people leave AZ only to find it was awesome here, but some wonder why they didn't leave sooner.

As soon as you land jobs, and get a routine you'll be able to compare the two. Hold out until then. We are a tourist state so a chef does have more opportunity but, keep searching, there will be something and he'll probably have more job security once he finds it.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:40 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HM19 View Post
Moved to the north west, In love with it here, but hubby doesnt seem to have as many work opportunities, its only been a month but he is a chef and there isnt much work out here and its not as fast paced. We saved for two years to move here and I just dont know how its gonna last forever with the limited amount of restaurants, am I crazy to want to move back after only 4 weeks!? I feel pretty embarrassed, I havent even talked to hubby about moving back because its so soon, but thinking about his future in the industry here is stressful.
Youre homesick. You need to give it at least a year, maybe even two. Dont be so quick to rush.

Old 03-05-2016, 09:03 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,723,881 times
I have to agree with the other posters. Sounds like you're homesick and the lack of opportunities for your husband only makes things seem worse. How does he feel about the situation? Does he think you should move back as well?

Old 03-06-2016, 03:50 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,398 times
I don't know about these other folks. I left full time life in AZ in March of 2004 and I'm still homesick as all get out. I've been back to visit at least every other year and my job up here in the NW is even a better one that what I had in AZ. I am currently planning a trip to see the monsoon in July of this year and may even shop for some property as well.

Old 03-09-2016, 02:53 AM

22 posts, read 21,174 times
I'll say just like other people have commented that you are experiencing some kind of homesick. But again, i think you are much concerned about your family's future especially financially, which is a good thing. This alone is enough to have you relocate back, if there were more job opportunities back there. So don't feel embarrassed to talk to him about it. Maybe he's having similar thoughts but is also afraid of mentioning. It's worth a shot.

Old 03-11-2016, 10:27 AM

8,827 posts, read 7,326,864 times
You need to wait before moving back IMO, spend 6 months to a year but if you really have no other choice, then move back. You've tried so don't let anyone tell you anything. Be proud for trying it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona