Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 05:23 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,130,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambrush View Post
But what a trip to go that way! the scenic views the pullouts with picnic tables
Even Adot has a Hwy Maint camp hanging off of the edge up there.
You don't want to be in a hurry going that way.
It's probably a great drive if the weather is nice. My experience wasn't the best as it was a gloomy and rainy day... Had the feeling I just about reached the end of the world. God help you if your car breaks down or you don't have enough gas not knowing what's ahead...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Gotta be AZ61, your either turning right or left or on the gas or brake. Great drive. Just don't be in a hurry.
Don't remember and don't have a good map handy. Based on what I see online, it looks like it was 180 or 191.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:44 PM

24,445 posts, read 25,974,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Don't remember and don't have a good map handy. Based on what I see online, it looks like it was 180 or 191.
Looks like you might have drifted into NM and came back into AZ. No bigiee. It's a good drive.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Looks like you might have drifted into NM and came back into AZ. No bigiee. It's a good drive.
Definitely not, but I'm not sure about the road number.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:48 PM

65 posts, read 222,790 times
Thanks to everyone for the great advice and information. I'm focusing on Greer now and have found quite a few places that look nice. For some reason I feel the need to have a hot tub or jacuzzi tub available--it just seems to go with the idea of hiking or horseback riding in the crisp mountain air . That does limit my search a bit, but I've come up with a few. Has anyone been to any of these places?

X-Diamond Ranch - May not be as quiet as the others, since it's a working ranch, but offers fly fishing lessons and cheap horseback riding, plus the cabins are rather large and reasonably priced. One even has a sauna--fancy!

River's Edge Cabin - Too large for us, really, but very nice looking.

Acorn Lodge - Again, too big for the three of us, but it has a hot tub!

East Fork Cabins, #6. Yes, it's too big, but this one has a hot tub room and a game room with air hockey. Swank!

Any opinions?

Thanks again!

Dawn

Old 10-18-2008, 04:15 PM

65 posts, read 222,790 times
Well, this is a little late to reply again, but we ended up at the X-Diamond Ranch in Greer. I can't say enough good things about this place, especially the Butler house, which we stayed in. Very private, beautiful scenery, quiet (no phone service--good thing!), and comfortable. The rates were very reasonable, too. We went fly fishing with a guide as the Little Colorado flows right through the ranch. This is a working horse ranch, and my husband and daughter went for a guided ride (I fear horses).

sierraAZ, I think we took that crazy road you mentioned on the way up. It's the one that goes past the working mine (goes on FOREVER...), right, with all the switchbacks and dropoffs? I was SO tense on that road that my back was screwed up for almost the whole week of our vacation. I had to get a massage to work out the muscle spasms. I won't take that road again. I heard the one that dips into NM is much less scary and more scenic.

Dawn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona