Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 12:59 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,454,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
I drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix/vise versa multiple times a year and it's amazing how big of a difference it is. The ARizona desert is just waaaay prettier than the California desert, not even a contest in the slightest.

Thank you for that input, i'm not a cookie. I have only been to L.A. once, and it was when I was a teenager riding in my cousin's truck taking oranges from their farm near Fresno to downtown L.A. I remember large cloverleafs on the freeway, dark skies and the downtown buildings, from a distance.

So your comment on the desert gives me a little comparison insight in to who's desert looks best, when I don't really have much information ta go on regarding the same. Some day I may go to L.A. to visit. Then again, I may very well never visit L.A.
No problem, yeah I mean California is one of the most jaw dropping prettiest states in the country, but in terms of prettier desert landscape...AZ has got this one in the bag for sure!

Old 04-06-2016, 08:07 PM

58 posts, read 68,859 times
Check out Fountain hills- Along Golden Eagle drive (on the back side of the Mcdowells) There are green rolling hills, not man made. Along with the Views of the Mcdowell Mountains, Red Rock and Four Peaks. Houses back there are very expensive though.

This time of year it looks like this:

Desert Wildflowers In Mcdowell Mountain Regional Park Near Fountain Stock Photo, Royalty Free Image: 18337043 - Alamy

Old 04-07-2016, 09:34 AM

38,984 posts, read 50,947,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I drive from Los Angeles to Phoenix/vise versa multiple times a year and it's amazing how big of a difference it is. The ARizona desert is just waaaay prettier than the California desert, not even a contest in the slightest.
I agree. As one drives back from LA it is really evident. Just after crossing the Colorado you start to see more plants and it increases all the way to Phoenix. The mesquites become larger, fuller, more green. Palo Verdes show up. The desert floor is much more populated with all sorts of cacti and shrubs - and of course the saguaros pop up on the rocky hillsides. Larger washes now have dense stands of mesquite and even cottonwoods. In summer, you see cumulus clouds in the distance while you are still in CA and that is the reason. It rains much more in the AZ deserts in summer than in CA.

Old 04-07-2016, 03:42 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,430,600 times
I agree. As one drives back from LA it is really evident. Just after crossing the Colorado you start to see more plants and it increases all the way to Phoenix. The mesquites become larger, fuller, more green. Palo Verdes show up. The desert floor is much more populated with all sorts of cacti and shrubs - and of course the saguaros pop up on the rocky hillsides. Larger washes now have dense stands of mesquite and even cottonwoods. In summer, you see cumulus clouds in the distance while you are still in CA and that is the reason. It rains much more in the AZ deserts in summer than in CA.

What this thread has taught me is that Arizona's desert is just waves of coolness better than California's. Of course, California has the great Pacific Ocean ta highlight in their brochures as being the choice thing about their area.

Old 04-09-2016, 05:37 PM

6,109 posts, read 10,823,900 times
I haven't been in there in the summer but in the winter and spring the desertscape around Phoenix/PV is gorgeous, way prettier than almost any desert I've been in California. Joshua Tree is amongst the best around here and it still takes the back seat to most desert areas in Arizona.

Old 04-10-2016, 11:03 AM

2,338 posts, read 4,691,514 times
Arizona is the only state where all 4 American Deserts converge. Sonoran , Mojave, Chihuahuan and Great Basin / Colorado Plateau. Joshuas can be found 20 miles NW of Wickenburg between Date Creek Ranch and Santa Maria River as being closest to PHX.

Old 04-10-2016, 02:21 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,746,072 times
It's really not a question of Arizona v. California desert.

After all, the deserts on either side of the Colorado River vary from just minor differences to none at all. And within the states, the desert variations are dramatic. The Colorado Plateau and the Sonoran Desert are markedly different within Arizona, while the high desert of the Mojave is very different from the desert within the Salton Trough in California.

Old 04-10-2016, 03:38 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,691,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
It's really not a question of Arizona v. California desert.

After all, the deserts on either side of the Colorado River vary from just minor differences to none at all. And within the states, the desert variations are dramatic. The Colorado Plateau and the Sonoran Desert are markedly different within Arizona, while the high desert of the Mojave is very different from the desert within the Salton Trough in California.
The Salton Trough IS the Sonoran Desert minus saguaros. The Mojave minus the joshuas is mostly just rocks and dirt and is my least favorite of the 4 deserts. The red rocks of Colorado Plateau in Navajo Country my favorite in the country which of course extends north into Southern Utah as well.

Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM

2,919 posts, read 3,061,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I don't believe that about Mount Graham. <snip> I have yet to visit Mount Graham actually,

Old 04-12-2016, 10:31 AM

17,648 posts, read 13,484,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
She is correct not to believe it. It's ironic that you live in Washington in that Mt. Ranier's prominence is more than twice of that of Mt. Graham.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona