Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2018, 12:55 PM

812 posts, read 794,758 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
I relocated a black widow from the patio to the raised bed garden. She tried to run away from me. What a wimp. BEFORE I finished my coffee this morning.

This place is terrible.

Disclaimer:

No animals were hurt during this process.

Another disclaimer:

Used a dustpan and leather gloves.

Godawful place.
Ugh, I can't stand black widows! One time DH walked into a web with a bunch of babies and they got all over him! It was like something out of a horror movie!!

Crazy, terrible place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM

4,068 posts, read 5,139,473 times
Well...AZ isn't the WORST state/district for teachers...but we are 50/51: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...teachers/7159/

Old 09-27-2018, 06:23 PM

7,034 posts, read 6,287,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Well...AZ isn't the WORST state/district for teachers...but we are 50/51: https://wallethub.com/edu/best-and-w...teachers/7159/
Well, at least it's not last. And they get to teach in a dry heat. Could be worse.

I was looking through this thread to find my thoughts on when I first moved here and when it finally cooled down. I couldn't find the exact time but I realized if I had visited in September instead of July I probably would have crossed it off my list. The sun is HOT in September, much worse than July I think.

Sometimes things happen for a reason.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:05 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
We're actually having a bit of an unseasonably warm September. Think Indian Summer, sort of. It's still pretty darn crisp in the mornings up here though.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 AM

10,018 posts, read 8,621,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuglf View Post
Ugh, I can't stand black widows! One time DH walked into a web with a bunch of babies and they got all over him! It was like something out of a horror movie!!

Crazy, terrible place.
I found a black widow in my basement once. She was put on trial for murdering her husband, found guilty and properly executed. My house carries the death penalty.

Old 10-15-2018, 12:04 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
I've had black windows (and one grey widow in my car) in every area of Arizona that I've lived in, and I've been in the state now off and on for 15 years.

AZ is a horrible place if you don't like poisonous spiders.

Old 10-15-2018, 10:16 AM

239 posts, read 155,689 times
Spiders...yick! A wolf spider bit me when I was 18. It hurt, burned actually, for days. Since then, I've executed countless spiders. Thank god for fly-swatters. Once, while defending myself, I killed 18 black widow spiders with Raid. Just a few years ago, a brown recluse spider bit me, and I was like holy s**t, I have to get to the hospital. I fly-swatted Mr. Brownie and scooped up his body in a jar. At the ER, the nurse was like, how do you know it's a brown recluse? I was like, look there on his back, there's a violin, see the violin? The doctor checked my vitals, gave me a tetanus shot/antibiotics and told me to come back if things got bad. My boss was keenly interested in the sensation of being bitten by a brown recluse. He made me recite the ordeal to him before he signed my sick leave slip, lol.

The newest ugly bug I've seen in Northern Arizona is the Kissing Bug. Now those suckers are a menace. They suck blood, and they're like mosquitoes on steroids. They come out at night and once they find a supply of fresh blood, will keep coming every night to poke you and drink your blood. The awful ones poop on you right next to where they pricked your skin, so their poop infects you with chagas disease. I've found that light attracts them, so I turn off the porch lights at night. I've also found that if I leave an olive oil lamp burning in the kitchen all night, the next morning, I'll find dead and burned mosquitoes and kissing bugs in it. I think the carbon dioxide from the lamp attracts them. In summertime, I'll keep an olive oil lamp burning all night to keep the kissing bugs and mosquitoes away.

But yes, Arizona is full of mean-spirited spiders and now blood sucking kissing bugs. You mind your own business, and here they come, encroaching and prowling, rubbing their little hands together, deciding what mischief to conjure.

Old 10-19-2018, 09:08 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,947,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappleApple View Post
But yes, Arizona is full of mean-spirited spiders and now blood sucking kissing bugs. You mind your own business, and here they come, encroaching and prowling, rubbing their little hands together, deciding what mischief to conjure.

I just bought a house here. OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?

Old 10-21-2018, 05:44 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,089,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
I just bought a house here. OMG WHAT HAVE I DONE?!?
I closed on one up here about six-seven months ago.

We have committed to owning property in the most terribleâ„¢️ state in the country. We must be out of our minds!

Old 10-21-2018, 06:07 PM

2,003 posts, read 2,878,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I've had black windows (and one grey widow in my car) in every area of Arizona that I've lived in
I'm not surprised. Arizona is such a terrible state, I would black out the windows as well so I wouldn't be able to see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona