Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2018, 01:10 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times

Advertisements

Nope, no positives...our schools are terrible, traffic is horrible, hottest major city in the country (we are hitting almost 90 this week), running out of water, scorpions, bears, coyotes, javelina, flash floods, HUGE dust storms, wildfires...not to mention that we are all a bunch of backwards red-necks who carry our firearms openly and have regular shootouts on city streets.

Better to stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2018, 01:22 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
I have not read all the replies to this topic, so forgive me please if I am being redundant.

"Let me see, how to start. Arizona has so many faults and bad things about it that I can not see why any one would even consider moving here from any where else in the country, let alone the world. First off is the obvious. Arizona is nothing but a dry super hot forbidding desert. The temperature usually runs over 100 degrees and there is no rainfall. In the small parts of Arizona that are cooler, the temperatures will run about 10 degrees below zero and you will have 10 feet of snow.

But to continue; Arizona is a welfare state and leaches off the rest of the country:

Arizona again among Most Dependent States on Federal Government Subsidies"

First of all, it does rain in Arizona during the "monsoon" season. Yes it gets hot. But it is very bearable due to low humidity. Also, because of the heat, people have adapted and made behavioral changes to accommodate. When I lived there as a child, my parents often did their grocery shopping (at "Fedco") at 10 pm because it was cooler. In fact, there is NOTHING more beautiful or enjoyable than night time in the desert.

Secondly, the reason that Arizona is dependent on Federal Government Subsidies is because MOST of that money is going to help Native Americans who we threw off of their land and sequestered in remote, inhospitable areas where they cannot earn a living or produce their own food. I kind of think that helping them survive is the LEAST we can do after all of the pain we have inflicted on them.

Believe me when I tell you there are a lot worse places to be.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:28 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,128,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterflygirl100 View Post
Well I have heard a lot of negative feedback on living in Arizona, but there has to be a lot of positives as well. I am moving to the Phoenix area this Summer after living in Nashville for the past 8 years.

Can anyone tell me the positives of living in the Phoenix area, and which areas are the best in terms of safety and schools?

Thanks for the feedback.
Phoenix may be in Arizona but it is not representative of the rest of the state. Any big city is going to have tons of crime and be relatively dangerous. There are going to be good school districts and bad school districts and there are going to be problems with drugs, etc.

Personally, even though I lived there for several years, there is no way I would move back there now. If I were going to live in Arizona, I'd pick a nice little town about 4 hours away (which is Glendale when the traffic is bad. ha ha ha just a joke). No, seriously, maybe someplace like Wickenburg, or Gila Bend. Of course, where you live is dependent upon what you do for a living, but like any place else, big cities usually suck eggs.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM

4,071 posts, read 5,144,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I have not read all the replies to this topic, so forgive me please if I am being redundant.
I think you may want to read the whole thing...you may "get it"...you may not.

Old 02-05-2018, 02:27 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,724,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Sssshhhhhhhhh!

Old 02-07-2018, 05:58 AM

2,925 posts, read 3,091,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Sssshhhhhhhhh!

Old 02-09-2018, 10:03 PM

2,560 posts, read 2,301,622 times
Quote:
Phoenix may be in Arizona but it is not representative of the rest of the state. Any big city is going to have tons of crime and be relatively dangerous. There are going to be good school districts and bad school districts and there are going to be problems with drugs, etc.

Personally, even though I lived there for several years, there is no way I would move back there now. If I were going to live in Arizona, I'd pick a nice little town about 4 hours away (which is Glendale when the traffic is bad. ha ha ha just a joke). No, seriously, maybe someplace like Wickenburg, or Gila Bend. Of course, where you live is dependent upon what you do for a living, but like any place else, big cities usually suck eggs.
Yes, Gila Bend. Known as a very desirable place to live. I'm moving as soon as summer comes.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:55 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
What about the terrible winds? I about was thrown across the parking lot. Where's the wind coming from? What a terrible place to live!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:01 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,985,515 times
Quote:

"Let me see, how to start. Arizona has so many faults and bad things about it that I can not see why any one would even consider moving here from any where else in the country, let alone the world. First off is the obvious. Arizona is nothing but a dry super hot forbidding desert. The temperature usually runs over 100 degrees and there is no rainfall. In the small parts of Arizona that are cooler, the temperatures will run about 10 degrees below zero and you will have 10 feet of snow.

But to continue; Arizona is a welfare state and leaches off the rest of the country:

Arizona again among Most Dependent States on Federal Government Subsidies"

First of all, it does rain in Arizona during the "monsoon" season. Yes it gets hot. But it is very bearable due to low humidity. Also, because of the heat, people have adapted and made behavioral changes to accommodate. When I lived there as a child, my parents often did their grocery shopping (at "Fedco") at 10 pm because it was cooler. In fact, there is NOTHING more beautiful or enjoyable than night time in the desert.

Secondly, the reason that Arizona is dependent on Federal Government Subsidies is because MOST of that money is going to help Native Americans who we threw off of their land and sequestered in remote, inhospitable areas where they cannot earn a living or produce their own food. I kind of think that helping them survive is the LEAST we can do after all of the pain we have inflicted on them.

Believe me when I tell you there are a lot worse places to be.
Caught another one, Earp!

Old 02-10-2018, 09:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
What about the terrible winds? I about was thrown across the parking lot. Where's the wind coming from? What a terrible place to live!

It was windy up here today too. I don't know how it is down there but up here May is really windy. I don't like wind and, you're right, it IS a terrible place to live with so much of it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona