Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Arizona the best state you have lived in?
yes 31 60.78%
No 11 21.57%
definitely in my top 3 7 13.73%
have not decided yet 2 3.92%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 06:20 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,717,389 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by autism360 View Post
Folks it is about liberty and freedom, states that take away freedoms from law abiding citizens,should be avoided at all costs unless you want to be a government slave. This is one of the reasons Arizona is so great it allows for individual freedom and among them is the right to carry a gun, buy a 64oz soda and send my kid to a charter school without having to get permission from a bureaucrat .
Michigan and Pennsyltucky are pro gun but you do not see people flocking there because of that. I own guns but hope I never have to use them. That is not a dealbreaker in overall quality of life. Lets be real...unless you have it in your hand how useful are gun laws if you have no access to it if you are held up in a parking lot or ambushed in a home invasion ?

Old 05-03-2016, 06:30 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,611,960 times
Quote:
Folks it is about liberty and freedom, states that take away freedoms from law abiding citizens,should be avoided at all costs unless you want to be a government slave. This is one of the reasons Arizona is so great it allows for individual freedom and among them is the right to carry a gun, buy a 64oz soda and send my kid to a charter school without having to get permission from a bureaucrat .
Yep!

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM

New Mexico when I visit is gun friendly but no one I interact with makes it a topic of why it is a great place to live. We carry concealed and hope to never use them. They also enjoy visiting CA and MX despite having to leave their guns behind. I have met umpteen Zonies that say....I will not go to Rocky Pt or Diego because I cannot bring my guns.LOL. It is not a topic in rural Zona either. Only hear it amongst midwest transplants in The Valley.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:41 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,021,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
To follow up more precisely, AZ outside of PHX has retained its new car smell as far as my hobbies and contacts made in the I40 corridor. PHX however I am here for employment purposes. As I have spent ample time in Southern CA I would definitely choose So Cal as a final destination in the future but will always hold onto land in Valle and Holbrook as my love for Northern AZ will always be a part of me.
I hear that alot on city-data, that there is no freedom in California. But I've never found them to cramp my style. Anything I do here in AZ I can do there. In fact is a motorcycle rider, I like the fact that CA permits lane splitting. That is illegal here in AZ.

I love AZ, but I like California too. If I had the money I'd have a nice ranch home in Van Nuys or North Hollywood. I like the big city life.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:43 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,734,620 times
Quote:
Isn't one of this country's fundamental freedom principles that all citizens should have access to a free and quality public education system? Isn't this very thing one of the basic building blocks our success in the past was based on? Why is it that in Arizona, where we are supposedly obsessed with freedom, the ability for children to obtain a quality public education is nearly impossible?

I'm all for freedom and enjoy most of the freedoms that Arizona holds so tightly, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the liberty of quality public education is not taken as seriously as gun rights here.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I hear that alot on city-data, that there is no freedom in California. But I've never found them to cramp my style. Anything I do here in AZ I can do there. In fact is a motorcycle rider, I like the fact that CA permits lane splitting. That is illegal here in AZ.

I love AZ, but I like California too. If I had the money I'd have a nice ranch home in Van Nuys or North Hollywood. I like the big city life.
PHX is very transient and people realize often they prefer more of the 4 season high desert as I do but still yearn for Pacific access , they confine themselves to PHX and grow stagnant not discovering other regions in these parts OR they become stagnant and move back to where they come from. I would say for every 10 Phoenicians I have spoken to....9 say hands down they would choose Coastal CA despite not being gun friendly. Nothing wrong with El Cajon or Lake Elsinore with somewhat comparable COL to Zona while having easy access to the desert and ocean.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:03 PM

In areas like PHX devoid of deep culture guns are an identity. In more culturally uniquely developed SW cities like Tucson and ABQ there is more authenticity with other things for identity. Lets be real...the reason many are in PHX is employment year around. Snowbirds leave in April or May for a reason. I would rather go to the Pacific or Lake Powell than inhale chlorine for 5 continually months and this is coming from a former competitive swimmer. Even Roosevelt is a viable option as I have a rental space for my RV there when Valle and Holbrook get too chilly in the winter at night when temps plummet to zero at times.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:18 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Isn't one of this country's fundamental freedom principles that all citizens should have access to a free and quality public education system? Isn't this very thing one of the basic building blocks our success in the past was based on? Why is it that in Arizona, where we are supposedly obsessed with freedom, the ability for children to obtain a quality public education is nearly impossible?

I'm all for freedom and enjoy most of the freedoms that Arizona holds so tightly, but for the life of me I cannot figure out why the liberty of quality public education is not taken as seriously as gun rights here.

Bam!!

Old 05-03-2016, 08:01 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
"You must spread some reputation around some more before giving it to autism360 again"

Old 05-03-2016, 08:04 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnum0417 View Post
<snip>..unless you have it in your hand how useful are gun laws if you have no access to it if you are held up in a parking lot or ambushed in a home invasion ?
D'OH! Carry it. A right not exercised . . . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona