Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Were you a former Colorado resident?
Yes 8 53.33%
No 7 46.67%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 01:48 PM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
As to growth in the Prescott area, Prescott itself is kind of hemmed in land wise as others have pointed out. The surrounding area though is not, and I know Prescott Valley had huge plans for growth in the 90ies but there isn't an economy to support that growth so it has slowed down. Most of the growth is with, as others have pointed out, California retirees with the median age now 56 and rising in the area. As to the area ever being a tech hub I really doubt that will happen. Prescott is too far from a major airport and it does not the type of hip culture that would attract young techies...other factors are missing as well...but you never know.

It seems like the Prescott area is very comparable to a mini Colorado Springs...it is just slightly warmer but the topology and climate in general seem very similar from what I've researched. As Prescott grays out I'm actually toying with moving to Colorado Springs in a few years. Like I said the Prescott area does not have the cool culture to attract (and in my case keep) techies...
You'll like Colorado Springs, I recommend checking out Garden of the Gods on your visit, beautiful park. Also, try out the Manitou Incline at your hearts desire. I haven't tried it myself but would have to before I'm not in shape anymore due to age.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2016, 12:13 PM

923 posts, read 495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
It seems like the Prescott area is very comparable to a mini Colorado Springs...it is just slightly warmer but the topology and climate in general seem very similar from what I've researched. As Prescott grays out I'm actually toying with moving to Colorado Springs in a few years.
A "mini Colorado Springs" is precisely what attracts me to the Prescott area. I'm in the Springs now and the climate and topology are, for me, nearly perfect. The explosive growth we've had and is expected to continue (never mind the water issues) are rapidly souring it for me though. When we came here it was ~300k, now it's upper ~500k and they say we'll hit 750k in the next 5 years. If I wanted to live in a big city, I'd have moved to Denver in the first place.

Old 05-19-2016, 03:24 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,725,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
A "mini Colorado Springs" is precisely what attracts me to the Prescott area. I'm in the Springs now and the climate and topology are, for me, nearly perfect. The explosive growth we've had and is expected to continue (never mind the water issues) are rapidly souring it for me though. When we came here it was ~300k, now it's upper ~500k and they say we'll hit 750k in the next 5 years. If I wanted to live in a big city, I'd have moved to Denver in the first place.
You won't escape the water issue in Prescott either.

Old 05-19-2016, 06:38 PM

923 posts, read 495,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
You won't escape the water issue in Prescott either.
Oh I know that; my point was that people are flooding into Colorado with no regard whatsoever that there isn't enough water to support the current population, much less the growth we're seeing.

Old 05-19-2016, 09:28 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,595,185 times
Colarado >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> than AZ. Why make the move?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:31 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBaldBlur View Post
Oh I know that; my point was that people are flooding into Colorado with no regard whatsoever that there isn't enough water to support the current population, much less the growth we're seeing.
Prescott is almost exactly the same.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:34 AM

285 posts, read 377,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Prescott is almost exactly the same.
How about Rio Rancho, NM, they have their own groundwater...

Old 05-20-2016, 04:16 AM

6,311 posts, read 6,814,932 times
I could see Prescott sharing a lot with Colorado. I see Prescott as a Sun City / Colorado hybrid.

The most Colorado-like place in our state is Flagstaff, but that's probably why none of you guys are relocating there

Old 05-20-2016, 10:39 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,633,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
I could see Prescott sharing a lot with Colorado. I see Prescott as a Sun City / Colorado hybrid.

The most Colorado-like place in our state is Flagstaff, but that's probably why none of you guys are relocating there
I don't know, but Prescott Valley is similar to Pueblo in the weather, but a different beast when it comes to culture and housing. I've did back to back comparison, PV and Prescott have more in common with Grand Junction/Palisade than most other similarly sized cities.

Old 05-20-2016, 11:08 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
How about Rio Rancho, NM, they have their own groundwater...
So does Prescott, but mining groundwater isn't sustainable. Rio Rancho abuts a flowing river, New Mexico also has relaxed water rights compared to Arizona.

Prescott is in an Active Management Area for a reason, if water is the reason for leaving Colo Springs then you're leaving one problem for the same problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona