Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2016, 01:21 AM

285 posts, read 374,013 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Since this is a family forum, I cannot reveal the "subject" of the national lawsuit they are involved with.

However, I do commend them for standing up for their own Constitutional rights, since as a Constitutionalist, I believe that the Feds should have very limited control on the states and local governments including school districts.

I'm a moderate Democrat, but respect all of NE Arizona - they have very nice people, great trails, beautiful scenery, no traffic, lots of terrific real estate for sale - and it's a very peaceful area.

Just curious about Heber-Overgaard politics in general. For example, do they oppose the controversial Obama educational doctrine of "Common Core?" I don't agree with it at all, since it's unconstitutional for Obama to tell school districts what to do.

Also, how do residents in the area make a living at 6500 feet? Timber? Recreation? Tourism? Ranching? Cinder production and distribution in winter?

Is their work seasonal in nature?

What is their attitude towards newcomers such as Californians, who might want to buy property in the area?

Same, with Show Low - Pinetop - Lakeside - Snowflake. Is this area more "moderate" politically compared to Heber - Overgaard - Christopher Creek - and vicinity?

These are areas of the state that nobody visits. Everyone goes to Flagstaff, Sedona, Bullhead, Havasu, and Tucson, but not over there. They're worth visiting and they want our money for sales taxes ........ :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 09:03 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,887,863 times
If we're discussing the States involvement with the national bathroom suit, then I disagree with the framing by the State. We are casting transgendered in a light that makes them sound as if they are really just perverts cross dressing diminishing them entirely.

For the suit itself, I'm not sure the specifics, generally when localities accept federal funds they accept conditions set federally. SCOTUS already states that the federal government can withhold 5%-20% (Dole-Sebelius) of an entire budget and it still be constitutional. So long as the amount withheld fits that threshold it's generally upheld. Afterall isn't it federal money these boot strap/hard work states are crying about?

Given that I don't have the specifics in front of me, maybe later I'll get some, and judging based on the other states joining suit, I can generally guess this is an expensive political stunt distracting us from the real issues. I could care less where people go to the bathroom, I hope most feel the same. I can't believe the issue this is becoming, it's ridiculous.

Old 05-26-2016, 09:09 PM

2,918 posts, read 3,048,996 times
Hmm, here is a sample of life up on the 'Mountain', ***WARNING*** foul language:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H36NlufnNyI

Just so you know coming from Cali and all.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:59 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,066,812 times
What evidence do you have that Obama has told local school districts what to do? I am and have been a teacher for 30+ plus years and am VERY familiar with Common Core standards. I await your reply. Start digging through those forwarded emails where you got your "evidence".
You clearly have no clue what Common Core standards are or what they seek to do.
Nobody visits NE Arizona? Are you kidding????
In general, with the exception of Sedona and the university community in Flagstaff, Northern AZ is very conservative. Libertarian is perhaps a more accurate description. Those two places would probably be the best fit for a "moderate Democrat"

Old 05-28-2016, 12:41 AM

285 posts, read 374,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaparrito View Post
What evidence do you have that Obama has told local school districts what to do? I am and have been a teacher for 30+ plus years and am VERY familiar with Common Core standards. I await your reply. Start digging through those forwarded emails where you got your "evidence".
You clearly have no clue what Common Core standards are or what they seek to do.
Nobody visits NE Arizona? Are you kidding????
In general, with the exception of Sedona and the university community in Flagstaff, Northern AZ is very conservative. Libertarian is perhaps a more accurate description. Those two places would probably be the best fit for a "moderate Democrat"
Flagstaff compared to Show Low receives more visitors.

Obama's Directive made the national news for the restroom policy.

Heber Overgaard district sued.

Old 05-28-2016, 07:15 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,066,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post
Flagstaff compared to Show Low receives more visitors.

Obama's Directive made the national news for the restroom policy.

Heber Overgaard district sued.
And Phoenix compared to Flagstaff receives more visitors. Does that mean "nobody goes" to Flagstaff?

The Heber-Overgaard PSD district's lawsuit has nothing to do with Common Core. H-O PSD is an Arizona public school district and as such is responsible for adhering to the Arizona College and Career Ready Standards. These are identical in every respect to the foundational Common Core Academic Standards, simply renamed.

http://www.azed.gov/standards-practices/

Carry on.

Old 05-30-2016, 12:57 AM

924 posts, read 744,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoaks View Post

Just curious about Heber-Overgaard politics in general. For example, do they oppose the controversial Obama educational doctrine of "Common Core?" I don't agree with it at all, since it's unconstitutional for Obama to tell school districts what to do.

Also, how do residents in the area make a living at 6500 feet? Timber? Recreation? Tourism? Ranching? Cinder production and distribution in winter?

Is their work seasonal in nature?

What is their attitude towards newcomers such as Californians, who might want to buy property in the area?
Going by what I recall from having lived in that area, and keep in mind that's been awhile, so things might've changed....

- The vast majority of people in the Heber-Overgaard area are LDS, so I imagine that whatever political leanings that church has, that's what you will find in the residents.

- For making a living, some people were ranchers, but I would say the Timber industry was the biggest employer.

- I don't recall any negative attitudes about newcomers, only that apparently when that area got an influx of people from California, those people kind of brought the "drug culture" along with them. (whereas before, drug usage wasn't as much of an issue)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona