Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2016, 08:38 AM

4,524 posts, read 6,215,422 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by :-D View Post
Bullhead City jk haha.

The title belongs to Yuma. Yuma is hands down the worst place I can imagine living in. It is the probably the blandest city I have ever seen, it is insanely hot there, the scenery is ugly, there is no economy, and it is boring.
D...you will either have to find some other reasons to nominate Yuma, or you will need to do more research behind your reasoning.

Yuma was cooler than PHX in the recent heat wave...not by much but cooler.

The scenery is not much different than other low elevation desert areas of AZ.

And as for the economy...there are over 200K acres in Yuma county in agricultural production, contributing $ 2.8 Billion to the economy, adding another $1.5B in value added stimulus, $34 M in state and local taxes, and provides 1 out of 4 jobs in the county.

The impact of the Military presence in Yuma County is $1.7B annually

Tourism contributes $657 M annually to the local economy, and creates 6600 jobs, contributing $26M to the state coffers.

An often overlooked economic stimulus are the $$$ that Mexican citizens spend in the local economy: $2.2B, creating 2000 local jobs in the process.

Not too bad for a boring place....and boring is personal description, that may or may not fit, based on perception.\

Most of my figures come from here

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2016, 09:22 AM

483 posts, read 660,903 times
Coolidge.

If you've ever been there, you know what I'm talking about.

If you've never been there, you're not missing anything.

Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,567,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
Coolidge.

If you've ever been there, you know what I'm talking about.

If you've never been there, you're not missing anything.
I dunno, Packer Guy. Looks pretty impressive to me.

Old 06-07-2016, 11:06 PM

285 posts, read 374,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
All of Arizona run by the LDS except Scottsdale, Phoenix, and Tucson? I doubt that very much, even just looking at the rest of the Valley, never mind the southern part of the state and to the north, Flagstaff, Prescott and places like Kingman and LHC. Don't think so.

Tempe is still a nice college town, and much more than that. "Overdevelopment"? Not south of Apache. Quiet suburb like always.
A LDS in Show Low said that Phoenix, Scottsdale, and Tucson were not run by the LDS . . . but I didn't ask her about other cities . . . but she did say that they run the entire mountain.

In my view, Tempe is overdeveloped with its new towers on the river. I envision a college town as having large areas of open space, nice grassy lawn areas, trees, mountain bike trails, maybe some lakes and streams, kind of like Northern Arizona University! I think NAU is my favorite campus. Oregon State University (Corvallis) is also very nice.

Some students prefer to live near Old Town since it's less dense and more slower paced (and, very trendy!) and the people are nice

Old 06-08-2016, 10:02 AM

483 posts, read 660,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I dunno, Packer Guy. Looks pretty impressive to me.
I'd love to give you the old thumbs-up on this post...but it won't let me. Darn City-Data rules...

Old 06-08-2016, 06:27 PM

22 posts, read 25,410 times
Would like to say I've seen it and been to the other end of the border...what do you folks in Arizona think/experienced of Nogales?

Old 06-08-2016, 06:43 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niagara716 View Post
Would like to say I've seen it and been to the other end of the border...what do you folks in Arizona think/experienced of Nogales?
I enjoy Nogales. 4000 ft altitude so nice climate. Enjoy haggling with the hawkers and eating at LaRoca on the east side of the railroad tracks near some strip bars...HINT...cross back into the US here. Far less people.

Old 06-08-2016, 07:41 PM

757 posts, read 829,014 times
Huachuca City. The truth is, many places in AZ are hard scrabble, down and out bergs and villes. Economies have collapsed everywhere and smaller towns just do not have a tax base to support infrastructure. It is depressing to drive through these small towns and see mostly run down scenes.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:24 PM

2,338 posts, read 4,684,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bygeorge View Post
Huachuca City. The truth is, many places in AZ are hard scrabble, down and out bergs and villes. Economies have collapsed everywhere and smaller towns just do not have a tax base to support infrastructure. It is depressing to drive through these small towns and see mostly run down scenes.
That area near Sierra Vista is among my favorite areas in the state. Perfect climate at 4500 ft with plenty of greenery and high desert beauty. Yes, it has mostly military and BP employment opportunities outside of low paying service jobs and that is probably the only negative. Like many areas outside of PHX, the beauty gets negated by job opportunities or lack there of. PHX is what it is because of job opportunities, not because the climate or scenery is the best in the state.

Old 06-08-2016, 11:32 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,860,649 times
I tried to start a thread like this in the U.S. forum for each state to weigh in and it got deleted. Not sure why.

Anywho, for AZ it's a tie between Yuma and Parker. Bland, hotter then hell/Phoenix, ugly, boring, cultureless and all in all just kinda trashy and run down looking. Yuma has the slight advantage that it's somewhat close to San Diego.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona