Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2016, 07:57 AM

119 posts, read 126,605 times

Advertisements

Lake Mead is drying up, and that effects Arizona in a big way.

Arizona Could Be Out of Water in Six Years | Smart News | Smithsonian

This many people in a desert does not make sense to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2016, 08:10 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven_on_a_Coyote View Post

Arizona has the legal right to water which it only uses 2/3 of. No running out of water, it's more about where does the water come from should Lake Mead continue to fall. On top of that $$. The current plan is for municipalities to purchase rights from miners and agriculture (primary water users).

Tucson specifically will struggle in that scenario because it has no usable surface water. CAP and the AZ GMA were aimed at Tucson in the first place. But Phoenix and other northern areas will be fine. Tucson also has a very fragile economy.

And despite its little brotherly disdain for Phoenix, Phoenix shares an inordinate amount of water rights with other cities like a good capital should.

But the article is not "smart news" because it didn't bother to actually analyze how water management works in AZ. Moreover, the article claims 1/4 of AZ water comes from CAP, yet it claims AZ will run out of water. What about that 3/4 it didn't bother to discuss?

Old 06-17-2016, 09:12 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:

Haven't we heard this before:

Chicken Little likes to walk in the woods. She likes to look at the trees. She likes to smell the flowers. She likes to listen to the birds singing.

One day while she is walking an acorn falls from a tree, and hits the top of her little head.
- My, oh, my, the sky is falling. I must run and tell the lion about it, - says Chicken Little and begins to run.

She runs and runs. By and by she meets the hen.
- Where are you going? - asks the hen.

- Oh, Henny Penny, the sky is falling and I am going to the lion to tell him about it.

- How do you know it? - asks Henny Penny.

- It hit me on the head, so I know it must be so, - says Chicken Little.

- Let me go with you! - says Henny Penny. - Run, run.

OP - if this is such a big CRISIS, then why did you add to the issue by moving here???

I hear more panic from people on City-Data than I hear when I attend water management board meetings and lectures from hydrologists at the University of Arizona.

Old 06-17-2016, 09:34 AM

10,560 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Water level of lake Mead continues to drop, though not yet below 1000 ft., which is also problematic for power generation.

Lake Mead Drops But Hoover Dam Powers On - Circle of Blue

Old 06-17-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Haven't we heard this before:

OP - if this is such a big CRISIS, then why did you add to the issue by moving here???

I hear more panic from people on City-Data than I hear when I attend water management board meetings and lectures from hydrologists at the University of Arizona.
I am not panicking. Sheesh.

And I moved here because I had to. And I am leaving because I can.

But to never panic is just as silly as to always panic. I am just being aware.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Arizona has the legal right to water which it only uses 2/3 of. No running out of water, it's more about where does the water come from should Lake Mead continue to fall. On top of that $$. The current plan is for municipalities to purchase rights from miners and agriculture (primary water users).

Tucson specifically will struggle in that scenario because it has no usable surface water. CAP and the AZ GMA were aimed at Tucson in the first place. But Phoenix and other northern areas will be fine. Tucson also has a very fragile economy.

And despite its little brotherly disdain for Phoenix, Phoenix shares an inordinate amount of water rights with other cities like a good capital should.

But the article is not "smart news" because it didn't bother to actually analyze how water management works in AZ. Moreover, the article claims 1/4 of AZ water comes from CAP, yet it claims AZ will run out of water. What about that 3/4 it didn't bother to discuss?
But with decisions like this:
What drought? Nestle plans $35 million plant to bottle water in Phoenix

And the drought, and more population, and climate change, all I see is risk, not a certainty, but a risk or water issues.

Arizona gets 40% of its water from CAP so that it will not break groundwater rules.
https://www.hcn.org/issues/48.10/ari...water-supplies

Hence the legal complications.

And water rights are not supreme rights, as they are learning in California.

and
Does Arizona have enough water for the drought? | AZ Big Media

According to ADWR, there is the possibility of a shortage declaration for the Colorado River projected for 2018, maybe even as early as 2017. This would mean an elimination of CAP water supplies to the Arizona Water Banking Authority with a portion of the CAP water supply being used for groundwater replenishment, ultimately effecting central Arizona agriculture users. Still, despite the potential for adversity, and rising CAP rates, Arizona is prepared.

But the fact is that this will effect farmers first. And how will that then effect the economy?

40% comes from surface water, which the local drought is effecting.

Just saying, I see a lot of pressure.

Old 06-17-2016, 11:12 AM

9,601 posts, read 31,701,421 times
Just curious, Raven . . .

No disrespect intended, however, why so many Negative, Doomsday Posts?

Old 06-17-2016, 11:42 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
But with decisions like this:
What drought? Nestle plans $35 million plant to bottle water in Phoenix

And the drought, and more population, and climate change, all I see is risk, not a certainty, but a risk or water issues.

Arizona gets 40% of its water from CAP so that it will not break groundwater rules.
https://www.hcn.org/issues/48.10/ari...water-supplies

Hence the legal complications.

And water rights are not supreme rights, as they are learning in California.

and
Does Arizona have enough water for the drought? | AZ Big Media

According to ADWR, there is the possibility of a shortage declaration for the Colorado River projected for 2018, maybe even as early as 2017. This would mean an elimination of CAP water supplies to the Arizona Water Banking Authority with a portion of the CAP water supply being used for groundwater replenishment, ultimately effecting central Arizona agriculture users. Still, despite the potential for adversity, and rising CAP rates, Arizona is prepared.

But the fact is that this will effect farmers first. And how will that then effect the economy?

40% comes from surface water, which the local drought is effecting.

Just saying, I see a lot of pressure.
Pressure I can see, rights are supreme cost, is the issue as California is actually learning.

As to affecting farmers. Issue no.1 is water abandonment laws in AZ. Farmers literally have to use or lose water rights. So they cannot drip irrigate fields without losing rights to unused water which under law they lose rights to because they are being efficient.

In order to move them to drip we have to literally purchase rights or provide incentives to drip and not flood.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:45 PM

More writing on the subject

The causes of Lake Mead's expanding bathtub ring -

Old 06-17-2016, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Just curious, Raven . . .

No disrespect intended, however, why so many Negative, Doomsday Posts?
Not negative or positive, just a realist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona