Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:43 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times

Advertisements

We have a "stupid motorist law" but why don't we have one for the idiots that require a mountain rescue after deciding to head out into the desert around 2pm on the hottest day of the year with hardly any water?

It requires similar man power - a chopper and a ladder truck. Having a helicopter and the fire department constantly plucking people off the mountains can't be cheap. Maybe if they are warned they will have to pay for their rescue they will think twice about their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 10:47 AM

1,719 posts, read 2,098,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
We have a "stupid motorist law" but why don't we have one for the idiots that require a mountain rescue after deciding to head out into the desert around 2pm on the hottest day of the year with hardly any water?

It requires similar man power - a chopper and a ladder truck. Having a helicopter and the fire department constantly plucking people off the mountains can't be cheap. Maybe if they are warned they will have to pay for their rescue they will think twice about their decision.
I think it's easy to underestimate the difficulty of camelback. Also Arizona heat is pretty extreme, I drank at least 8 bottles of water and still felt dehydrated by the time I made it back down the mountain.

That being said the signs are pretty clear on the trail (and before you start) to bring plenty of water and common sense dictates not to go at the height of the heat.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:04 AM

576 posts, read 830,455 times
Last night on the news, they were reporting about the rescues that had to take place in the extreme heat yesterday and they interviewed several young men who were about to climb a mountain at 1 or 2 PM. They bragged about being in shape and how they wanted to see how the extreme heat would affect their bodies and whether or not they could make it or not. How stupid is that?!?!?!

Maybe we should have signs posted that say you're on your own. If you keel over on the mountain, you can just die there! Of course, I'm exaggerating, but I definitely agree with the OP... If someone is stupid enough to be out in that heat exerting themselves, they should have to pay for any rescue.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:45 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
I heard 4 deaths related to hiking in yesterday's heat.

I don't get it.

Old 06-20-2016, 11:55 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,955,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey59 View Post
Last night on the news, they were reporting about the rescues that had to take place in the extreme heat yesterday and they interviewed several young men who were about to climb a mountain at 1 or 2 PM. They bragged about being in shape and how they wanted to see how the extreme heat would affect their bodies and whether or not they could make it or not. How stupid is that?!?!?!

Maybe we should have signs posted that say you're on your own. If you keel over on the mountain, you can just die there! Of course, I'm exaggerating, but I definitely agree with the OP... If someone is stupid enough to be out in that heat exerting themselves, they should have to pay for any rescue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
I heard 4 deaths related to hiking in yesterday's heat.

I don't get it.
One of the deaths was an avid hiker and "fitness expert". I have seen the signs at Camleback, and they get carelessly ignored.

The firefighters who are hiking the mountain in uniform with a stretcher are also being put at risk.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:15 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,627,477 times
Quote:

It seems the ones who are most outraged about people being rescued are the ones least likely to get any physical activity themselves. Just close the mountain parks on hot days if you're going to charge people for rescuing them. Frankly, I don't think people who genuinely need to be rescued when they catch themselves in an unplanned situation should be embarrassed or apprehensive to call for help. Hindsight is 20/20. Unlike water rescues where people knowingly drive into raging washes in their cars, some people can't properly gauge what effect the heat will have on them until it's too late. Also, realize that people are rescued from the mountain at all times of year, not just during peak heat times. The fact of the matter is that people are generally out there for exercise. What kind of strain is put on our healthcare system (passed off to the rest of us, of course) by the people who sit at home all summer, eat high calorie foods, who then end up contracting all kinds of obesity related health illnessss?

Old 06-20-2016, 12:27 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,959,480 times
Quote:
One of the deaths was an avid hiker and "fitness expert". I have seen the signs at Camleback, and they get carelessly ignored.
Im so tired of hearing "fitness expert" thrown around so carelessly. Camelback will smoke you, regardless of your age or self-given title. Ive had to call it quits on that mountain a few times, as I was showing signs of early heat exhaustion, when it was "only" 105 out. Know your limits, know the signs, take precautions.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:39 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,398,231 times
The ones who died started out early, but in three cases ran out of water, and in the third case (the personal trainer/mountain biker) she was overcome by the heat-- may have been a water issue there too, but that wasn't reported. I agree that the ones whose actions result in a risky rescue should bear some responsibility. It's not quite the same as driving around a barrier, though.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:40 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,464,005 times
Quote:

Quote:
The firefighters who are hiking the mountain in uniform with a stretcher are also being put at risk.

I think it would be a good idea. Unfortunately I think that's the main decision driver of many people, money.

Here's the cost breakdown:

Mountain rescues tax firefighters and cost taxpayers - ABC15 Arizona

"The average cost hovers around $7,500."

I'm all for people making their own decisions/taking whatever risk they want but part of that risk should be for the hiker to pay themselves for carting them out. Their decisions, their costs.

Old 06-20-2016, 12:48 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,256,544 times
I've been pushing for a Stupid Hiker Law for many years. Anymore, I truly believe that anybody who is idiotic enough to hike in this extreme heat doesn't even deserve to be rescued! There should be warning signs on the trails stating "HIKE AT YOUR OWN RISK", and that's it. No rescues, period!

If you're too ignorant to understand how dangerous this heat is, you deserve what you get. I'm sick of taxpayer money being wasted on these idiots, taking valuable time away from paramedics who have real emergencies to attend to. If you want to hike the mountain trails, go ahead ... however, if you become dehydrated or sick, that's your own fault. The coyotes can have you for an extra meal for all I care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona