Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2016, 07:54 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,587,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The nature of capitalism means there is competition. And unfortunately, not everyone is going to be able to get a great education and earn a high income. There will always be people who have to do blue collar low paying jobs. This is the United States of America. We stand for what is better. This is not China or India where the poor have no social welfare and starve and die on the street. We should do everything we can to ensure the poor have adequate food, clothing, healthcare and shelter. It is a human condition. We have an obligation as Americans to take care of the less fortunate. I would much rather my tax dollars go toward assisting low income families than paying for prisons and going to other wasteful expenditures.

What I fail to understand are the very people who support Republicans and conservative politicians are the very ones who would probably benefit the most from state assistance and Democratic policies in general. Dumb good ole boys are okay with their jobs being outsourced as long as gays can't marry and they can buy AR 15's without a background check at a gun show.
Well said 👍
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 10:14 PM

3,365 posts, read 5,233,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
The nature of capitalism means there is competition. And unfortunately, not everyone is going to be able to get a great education and earn a high income. There will always be people who have to do blue collar low paying jobs. This is the United States of America. We stand for what is better. This is not China or India where the poor have no social welfare and starve and die on the street. We should do everything we can to ensure the poor have adequate food, clothing, healthcare and shelter. It is a human condition. We have an obligation as Americans to take care of the less fortunate. I would much rather my tax dollars go toward assisting low income families than paying for prisons and going to other wasteful expenditures.

What I fail to understand are the very people who support Republicans and conservative politicians are the very ones who would probably benefit the most from state assistance and Democratic policies in general. Dumb good ole boys are okay with their jobs being outsourced as long as gays can't marry and they can buy AR 15's without a background check at a gun show.
There is a difference between less fortunate and lazy. My sister's ex-husband is in the lazy category and we give him a couple thousand a month for it. He used to install countertops and before that he was a banker but when the economy crashed he gave up. He didn't lose his job or anything like that, my dad was his boss so it was perfectly secure.

He decided one day he didn't want to work anymore and gained 100 lbs in the process. He now gets disability, thanks to a clever and sleazy lawyer, among other benefits that he doesn't deserve. He isn't the only one that I personally know that is actively gaming the system. We have a duty to take care of everyone who is willing to earn it, the issue is liberals don't separate those two groups out. The new deal worked because it put people to work so they again earned their living not because it handed them money every month to sit on their butt and breed. If you separated the needy and the lazy out more people would be willing to support some of those liberal goals.

Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 AM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
There is a difference between less fortunate and lazy. My sister's ex-husband is in the lazy category and we give him a couple thousand a month for it. He used to install countertops and before that he was a banker but when the economy crashed he gave up. He didn't lose his job or anything like that, my dad was his boss so it was perfectly secure.

He decided one day he didn't want to work anymore and gained 100 lbs in the process. He now gets disability, thanks to a clever and sleazy lawyer, among other benefits that he doesn't deserve. He isn't the only one that I personally know that is actively gaming the system. We have a duty to take care of everyone who is willing to earn it, the issue is liberals don't separate those two groups out. The new deal worked because it put people to work so they again earned their living not because it handed them money every month to sit on their butt and breed. If you separated the needy and the lazy out more people would be willing to support some of those liberal goals.

Very well said and I agree 100%, AZ Manager. I'm not against supporting the truly needy, but supporting people who are "playing" the system, no.

Old 07-11-2016, 03:09 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,685,641 times
Unfortunately, there is a huge difference between ASSISTING and ENABLING. Helping someone get "back on their feet" is a positive, however, creating a "lazy a$$" by making them dependent and permanently unemployed is definitely counter-productive.

According to many "knowledgeable experts," not the "arrogant bleeding hearts" who love to spend OPM (other peoples' money), too much "help" for an unending period of time is extremely harmful to the recipients.

Over the years / decades, a Lifestyle of Welfare has been proven to remove self-respect plus any and all incentives to become independent, productive and self sufficient.

Bottom line . . . for the sake of the recipients, all forms of welfare must have an expiration date.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:20 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
I agree, Bummer. I have needed assistance before, but it didn't last long. And that was by design. We are built to get satisfaction by working to build a skill - a skill that will make us a living. And that ability to make a living will bolster our confidence in our ability to sustain ourselves. And then, in turn, we can gain real happiness by helping someone else attain what they need.

Old 07-11-2016, 05:34 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
The dole stops here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona