Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 05:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,443,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvxhd View Post
To be honest, it may be an issue on your end as opposed to the local job market and I don't think people are offering much an "outside the box" approach to this. I'm pretty versatile in my field and have worked in marketing, including moving here after accepting a marketing position. That was easily the worst company I have ever worked for. However, I was able to find gainful employment within a few months (a temp job in less than two) and had a very large number of interviews between that job and my current one.

Does your resume list your Idaho address or an Arizona address? When I landed that first job I used an Arizona address. When it came up, I lied through my teeth and said that was the address I was moving to right after the holidays. I had no intention of moving to that address, nor did I intend to move without a job lined up. They bought it and I got the job in the end. Bluntly put: your Idaho address is going to make it extraordinarily difficult to land a job before moving because an employer may not want to take a chance on you when there are plenty of local candidates.

Have you tried applying for other jobs in Idaho? You don't even have to accept an interview, but it could be a good test to see how your resume appears to employers. If you get bites on it, that means it's standing out and they want you. If not, you may need to work on it.

Are you relying solely on mainstream job boards like Indeed, Career Builder and Monster, or are you also considering niche sites particular to your field? Traditionally I had a degree of success in at least getting interviews through the latter because their postings don't always appear elsewhere.

Still, I'll echo Phoenix and Tucson as being your likeliest candidates because your profession is typically more urban and it's unlikely you'll find it in smaller towns, which is pretty much Arizona outside of these two areas. However, I saw on the news recently that Sedona has had difficulty filling jobs (though the news didn't specify what they were, but most likely are in the general tourism industry... though it wouldn't hurt for you to look anyway), and there are places with major employers that would have jobs like that, such as Prescott and Flagstaff (education in both). You could also check out southern Nevada, such as Laughlin and Vegas if you don't mind the commute from a community on the Arizona side of the river. That wouldn't be any different than people in New Jersey commuting to New York, from the Kansas suburbs to Kansas City, or from Indiana into Illinois.
Sedona has trouble filling jobs, because with the wages they pay, no one who works in Sedona can actually live there. They all have to live 30 miles away in Cottonwood and commute. That commute generally isn't worth it when you make $10/hr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Location: The edge of the world and all of Western civilization
984 posts, read 1,184,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Sedona has trouble filling jobs, because with the wages they pay, no one who works in Sedona can actually live there. They all have to live 30 miles away in Cottonwood and commute. That commute generally isn't worth it when you make $10/hr
All I saw was that they have jobs. I looked no further into it because I have no interest in living in Sedona. Hotels/resorts may have in-house marketing staff though, as the company I worked for before moving here did as well as my current company (though that department isn't located in Phoenix). If the OP can find a job like that, he may be able to afford it.

Old 07-29-2016, 04:22 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,907,691 times
Ill jump in and say that PHX is about the only chance you'll have. And if you dont like heat, you're basically gonna die here. It will be a nightmare for you. lol Good luck!

Old 07-29-2016, 08:34 PM

15 posts, read 12,921 times
You might have to drive a bit from home to job. I would wait to have something lined up before you move here, but it really sucks moving in general.
IT jobs are pretty good out here the more you know, the better job. I would line your job up first that way, you can have a better idea of where to live.

Remember the cheaper the less quality of life unless you're lucky.
We have pockets out here and what I mean is you can drive through a shady area then all of a sudden end up in a fancy smancy area.
Best of luck to you!

Old 07-30-2016, 06:12 PM

65 posts, read 120,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwillie View Post
Were not opposed to living in Phoenix, Ill probably melt. I currently reside in north Idaho by Canada...My wife is the one who loves the Arizona heat. I have been looking at telecommuting jobs, I would love to land one of those but after all my job searching I think they may be as rare as a Unicorn.
From the fridge into the smelter? I'd think twice.

I followed a job opportunity to Phoenix and lasted 2 years before retreating back up the hill to the Prescott area. And it is hotter now than it was then, and with more traffic.

Why does it have to be Arizona? San Diego supposedly has perfect climate and plenty of economy. What about Denver? Not that I am talking up California or Colorado. I LOVE Arizona. But Phoenix? To me the Valley is one big fever dream.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin Mann View Post
From the fridge into the smelter? I'd think twice.

I followed a job opportunity to Phoenix and lasted 2 years before retreating back up the hill to the Prescott area. And it is hotter now than it was then, and with more traffic.

Why does it have to be Arizona? San Diego supposedly has perfect climate and plenty of economy. What about Denver? Not that I am talking up California or Colorado. I LOVE Arizona. But Phoenix? To me the Valley is one big fever dream.
I'd rather live in Phoenix than anywhere else in the state (and do)

Old 07-30-2016, 06:35 PM

2,919 posts, read 3,052,246 times
Wait! Haven't you heard that Arizona is a terrible place, do not move nor even visit? There's a thread here about it.

Old 07-30-2016, 06:42 PM

251 posts, read 167,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainwillie View Post
Were not opposed to living in Phoenix, Ill probably melt. I currently reside in north Idaho by Canada...My wife is the one who loves the Arizona heat. I have been looking at telecommuting jobs, I would love to land one of those but after all my job searching I think they may be as rare as a Unicorn.
Consider Las vegas nearly everything is new, cooler, and I have no doubt you will find a job

Old 07-30-2016, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vondutch View Post
Consider Las vegas nearly everything is new, cooler, and I have no doubt you will find a job
The economy is better in Phoenix, we are more of a real city, rather than a sandbox, and we have pro sports

Old 07-31-2016, 01:40 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,885,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
The economy is better in Phoenix, we are more of a real city, rather than a sandbox, and we have pro sports
Female mud wrestling is a "pro sport" now?

Oh yeah I forgot, rigged boxing matches too.

And ha -ha I saw in the RJ today that you guys are getting to enjoy our dust that blew from AZ up your way. Breathe deep!

But you are right about Vegas being a better opportunity. Also no state income tax, though fees are sky high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona