Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 11:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 7,642,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
new2colo and locolobo13 already have posted some great info and ideas, ones that I was going to post as well.

For sure though I hope you plan on taking I-8 east out of Sandy Eggo. Then go north from Gila Bend on SR 85 to hit I-10. Much better than driving to I-10 from SD or from Tucson. Then if you want to go through Payson, take Loop 202 to the Beeline Hwy (SR 87) north to Payson and proceed as new2colo said.

But if you do want to see more scenery, do proceed to US 60 east through Superior, Globe and then to Show Low. The Superstitions are cool, the Salt River canyon is cool, but there's also Devil's canyon between Superior and Globe. And actually, Google says for that route to continue on I-8 to Casa Grande, then cut through Florence and Florence Junction to hit the US 60 east. Goog says it's about an 8-1/2 hour drive. There's plenty of lodging and restaurants in Show Low, I think maybe more than Payson. Then from Show Low, you can further as locolobo13 suggests, or beat feet straight up SR 77 to Holbrook to I-40.

Actually, Goog suggests that latter route as about thirty minutes longer overall over Payson, though it does have you leave US 60 in Quemado. If you go that way you should go on ahead through Pie Town, NM. Be one of the few, the proud, the unknowns, to say you know where Pie Town, NM is! I was just through there about a month ago. After all, you're on vacation!
Yep, we're planning on doing the I-8 since we live in East County San Diego. I am thinking that perhaps we could do the US 60 Show Low route on the return. Thanks for the suggestions! You guys have been so helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
If you're not in a hurry go thru the Salt River Canyon to Show Low. Then get on US 60 heading east.

Enjoy some different scenery, Springerville, Quemado, Pie Town, Datil Wells, the VLA (Very Large Array). All too soon you'll come to Socorro and I25. From there head for Santa Fe.
Thanks for this locolobo13. I think we may take this as our return route, rather than Flagstaff. I wouldn't have thought of it as an option if you guys hadn't suggested it, so thanks!

Another question: My husband is a bit of a science geek and when I mentioned the VLA has tours, his blood pressure went up several points with excitement. So, now I am thinking about the possibility of making that a stop on the way back from Santa Fe, with an overnight afterwards that puts us within 8/9 hours the next day to San Diego. Any suggestions on what would be a good stop over after visiting the VLA? Also, is the tour worth a stop? (And, I am a photographer, do they allow photos on the tour?)

Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 AM

44,628 posts, read 61,611,846 times
OP...if you have the time and want to see some 'eye poppin' scenery that you'll never forget. When you leave Holbrook on I-40 heading toward Albuquerque go 45 miles from Holbrook to the town of Chambers on I-40, turn off on mile marker 191 heading north about an hours drive stop and tour Canyon de Chelly. It's free and some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see. Then back to I-140 head to Santa Fe, a 4+ hour drive.
https://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm

Old 08-08-2016, 03:32 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Thanks for this locolobo13. I think we may take this as our return route, rather than Flagstaff. I wouldn't have thought of it as an option if you guys hadn't suggested it, so thanks!

Another question: My husband is a bit of a science geek and when I mentioned the VLA has tours, his blood pressure went up several points with excitement. So, now I am thinking about the possibility of making that a stop on the way back from Santa Fe, with an overnight afterwards that puts us within 8/9 hours the next day to San Diego. Any suggestions on what would be a good stop over after visiting the VLA? Also, is the tour worth a stop? (And, I am a photographer, do they allow photos on the tour?)
In fact, Show Low is just about 8-9 hours away from San Diego.

There's tons of lodging in the Show Low/Pinetop-Lakeside area. I stayed at the Day's Inn (and some others), but there's Holiday Inn's and other major chains as well. One note about the Day's Inn, they do include a full hot breakfast, but it is at the attached restaurant which can be vary busy in the mornings.

If you stay there, go up to Pinetop and have a prime rib dinner at Charlie Clark's. You will not be disappointed.

Old 08-10-2016, 02:12 PM

Thanks again everyone. Canyon De Chelly has been on my list for years. I didn't realize it was so close to the 40. Maybe we can fit that in. So many things to see in your beautiful state.

And, teddyearp, thanks for the info on Show Low. I think we may head that way on the return leg.

Old 08-10-2016, 08:43 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
I leave for Santa Fe on Saturday so I will come back to comment soon about the drive.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:43 PM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
OP...if you have the time and want to see some 'eye poppin' scenery that you'll never forget. When you leave Holbrook on I-40 heading toward Albuquerque go 45 miles from Holbrook to the town of Chambers on I-40, turn off on mile marker 191 heading north about an hours drive stop and tour Canyon de Chelly. It's free and some of the most beautiful scenery you'll ever see. Then back to I-140 head to Santa Fe, a 4+ hour drive.
https://www.nps.gov/cach/planyourvisit/basicinfo.htm
I second this!

Do it in the winter and you will probably have the whole place to yourself. In summer you can take a jeep tour up to the ruins and see them up close.

Old 09-21-2016, 10:56 PM

Just a quick thank you to everyone who answered my question about San Diego to Sante Fe routes through Arizona. My husband and I just got back from our trip. We did the Phoenix to Payson to Santa Fe route and really enjoyed it. We really liked what we saw of Payson. On the way home, we decided to just retrace our path through Payson, but there was a fire that closed 260. Thankfully due to the suggestions here I knew that we could swing over to 60 and down through the Salt River Canyon -- wow! That was beautiful. (And we had lunch in Show Low, which looked like another interesting place) Anyhow, just wanted to thank everyon again for your suggesitions and help. We really appreciate it!

Old 09-22-2016, 05:49 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
You're welcome and thanks for reporting back. We told you that the Salt River canyon is a well kept secret. So don't tell anyone, lol!

Old 09-22-2016, 07:11 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,811,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosieSD View Post
Just a quick thank you to everyone who answered my question about San Diego to Sante Fe routes through Arizona. My husband and I just got back from our trip. We did the Phoenix to Payson to Santa Fe route and really enjoyed it. We really liked what we saw of Payson. On the way home, we decided to just retrace our path through Payson, but there was a fire that closed 260. Thankfully due to the suggestions here I knew that we could swing over to 60 and down through the Salt River Canyon -- wow! That was beautiful. (And we had lunch in Show Low, which looked like another interesting place) Anyhow, just wanted to thank everyon again for your suggesitions and help. We really appreciate it!
Man I forgot about this thread. When I went there we drove through Flagstaff. I liked it though because I love Flag and have done the SRC a few times now. Glad you enjoyed it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona