Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2018, 06:13 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,683,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smegma11 View Post
The bylines of these articles always have the same misleading title, 'You must give up your guns if you have a MJ card", which should read you can't buy any more guns unless you lie on the ATF form. They aren't going to come and take the guns you already own, away, when you get a card.
If the cards are given out for the intended reasons (chronic, intractable pain that can’t be relieved by other means), then the cardholder likely hasn’t been able to shoot for a while & may well have sold whatever guns they had to pay their docs. I’m not in favor of people going to the range stoned, but I see no reason to assume that they’re “addicted” to a substance that’s been proven not addictive, just by virtue of having a card. Further, there’s no scientific basis to have marijuana as a “schedule 1” drug, as it clearly does have a medical use.

The moral of this story is that there’s never a good outcome when your personal medical information is shared with the government.

I heard on NPR the other day that something like 25% of the adult female population is on medications like Prozac for depression. The statistic seems high, but what a wonderful way for the mysoginists among us to pretty much flush the bill-of-rights down the toilet. It would only take a couple of histrionic press-conferences to build lots of support to prevent “unstable psychos” from owning guns, voting, heck- even owning real property or driving cars.

Using the same logic the government is using - cardholders shouldn’t be employed, “allowed” to have kids or be around them, shouldn’t be voting, shouldn’t be wandering around in public unmonitored, etc. it’s definitely the worst version of a slippery slope & it’s not based on science or reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2018, 08:59 AM

22,974 posts, read 27,005,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
If the cards are given out for the intended reasons (chronic, intractable pain that can’t be relieved by other means), then the cardholder likely hasn’t been able to shoot for a while & may well have sold whatever guns they had to pay their docs. I’m not in favor of people going to the range stoned, but I see no reason to assume that they’re “addicted” to a substance that’s been proven not addictive, just by virtue of having a card. Further, there’s no scientific basis to have marijuana as a “schedule 1” drug, as it clearly does have a medical use.

The moral of this story is that there’s never a good outcome when your personal medical information is shared with the government.

I heard on NPR the other day that something like 25% of the adult female population is on medications like Prozac for depression. The statistic seems high, but what a wonderful way for the mysoginists among us to pretty much flush the bill-of-rights down the toilet. It would only take a couple of histrionic press-conferences to build lots of support to prevent “unstable psychos” from owning guns, voting, heck- even owning real property or driving cars.

Using the same logic the government is using - cardholders shouldn’t be employed, “allowed” to have kids or be around them, shouldn’t be voting, shouldn’t be wandering around in public unmonitored, etc. it’s definitely the worst version of a slippery slope & it’s not based on science or reason.
The point of this whole thread was/is what is reality and not what we hope or wish right? Unfortunately the reality from what I've read and been told is there are legal truths, one being you lose your legal right to CCW permit if you have an MMJ card AND if one followed the letter of the law could not purchase a firearm.
Do I think that's what was intended when the laws were written?
No I don't but that's the way it's currently written so one must operate in that zone.

I think they were looking to restrict those actual dirtbag heroin,meth,crack.LSD and other drug users or addicts that might use a gun to get more drugs or do something violent from having access to guns...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona