Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 06:44 PM

942 posts, read 2,519,963 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We moved out of Sierra Vista in Nov. 2005. I would recommend the neighborhoods near the mall, off Avenida Cochise. There are several newer neighborhoods that have the typical stucco house with tile roof. We backed up to Avenida Cochise and had a fantastic view of the mountains, but the road noise bothered me. We bought our house new for about $180,000 and sold it 8 months later for about $240,000. We moved into a rental for about a year and during that time that house sold again for over $330,000--that's what I get for trying to time the market! My parents own two houses in Sierra Vista and were trying to sell one, but the market has really slowed down in the past 6+months. Sierra Vista is a nice town, but fairly small with a population of about 50,000. I used to drive about an hour to get to Costco in Tucson. The town felt a bit small to me, but my parents LOVE it there. They moved to Sierra Vista in 2005 as well and have found people to be very friendly and they never tire of their retirement-age activities. There is a multi-purpose trail around the mall area that spans about a 4-mile loop. It is great for walking or a short bike ride. I found that the gyms left something to desire. I worked at the local hospital which was okay, but they are in the process of funding a new hospital. If you don't mind living in desert with the nearest large city about an hour away, it is a very nice place. I think it is a great place for retirees, but we were in our late 30's. Oh, at Rudopho's Taco shop is awesome for fast-food Mexican in a hole-in-the-wall type atmosphere. I can probably account for a solid 10 pounds of fat attributable to that great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2007, 06:04 AM

13 posts, read 65,902 times
Got a subscription to the SV newspaper but been discouraged by the job postings and the real estate for sale prices. Quite a disparity between the two. Will have to keep looking for a different town to move to. Darn!

Old 05-03-2007, 07:27 AM

74 posts, read 367,047 times
Now, I don't live in SV anymore - in fact, I graduated Buena H.S. in 1981 but have gone back now and then for many trips to see friends. I can answer several things that have been brought up. My realtor friends (of many many years) admit that SV is AWESOME if you want "new stuff." Its awesome if you are retired military - the reason for the eternally high (for what you get) real estate in SV has always been that many retirees have THREE sources of income. First, military pension, second they go right to Ft. Huachuca and enter Civil Service and third, their wife is also working. This fact made real estate ridiculous way back in the 1970's. Sierra Vista is a service-oriented town. If you want charm and history, you go to Tombstone and especially the gorgeous Bisbee. Ah, I remember antique hunting there - paradise - or used to be.
Most of us have sold our rural land in the Canyons area (Ramsey, Miller, etc.) because the illegal situation is serious. Naturally, city government officials DOWNPLAY this, of course of they do! The thing is, if you invest in a small ranch for say, horses, like we did, just expect your fences cut from time to time and trash like diapers. As long as you realize local law enforcement will do NOTHING, you will be happy. It is dangerous. Funny how the environmentalists in AZ say nothing about the environmental damage being done by these people along the border either!
Anyway - no town is for everyone. If you like a growing retirement community (not necessarily children-oriented community) SV is seriously great. Golf weather is awesome. Ft. Huachuca is right there for your services as a retired military. Also, defense contractor positions will only be increasing, I believe, no matter who gets in the White House. My contacts from old buddies who work at Ft. Huachuca tell me that with the world situation, the Defense Dept. won't be letting down its guard for the forseeable future. If you are a retired military, SV is awesome!!!!

Old 05-03-2007, 11:29 AM

77 posts, read 632,557 times
For anyone who's thinking to relocate to Sierra Vista ,plz research and read about the leukemia cluster problem in this city before you decide to move there,it's not in my intention to trash the city ,just wanted to warn those who never heard about the cancer problem there, especially the ones with kids.Plz do you research before moving there.

check this site ,and you can google (SIERRA VISTA AZ CHILDHOOD LEUKEMIA CLUSTER) to get more info.

http://familiesagainstcancer.org/

Old 05-10-2007, 12:21 PM

74 posts, read 367,047 times
Jenali is absolutely right - not being an alarmist at all. This is a relevant concern - and expect SV realtors and city officials to deny it to the end. Do your research and if you have small children, think about it before moving to the area. If your kids are grown, and looking for a good retirement community, go for it.

Old 06-04-2007, 11:55 AM

2 posts, read 14,965 times
Thumbs up I love SV!

I have lived in Sierra Vista for 12 years off an on. I absolutely love it here. I am 37 years old, and have a 17 y.o. son. Originally moved here because my ex-husband was in the military. Scared the crap out of me when we moved here from Maryland. There were far fewer resources then than now.

Some posters are correct. There isn't a lot to "do" here. Except enjoy the outdoors and make great friends... There is a high teenage pregnancy rate here, because of the lack of stuff "to do". Highest in the nation at one point, actually. (I used to work for a grant-writing firm here, so have done all the research.) But, it also has the 6th highest per-capita income in the state. Most likely due to the high number of military and government retirees here. There is good and bad.

I am friends with one of the families involved in the childhood Lukemia study. Unfortunately, the study ended with the CDC finding nothing specific to cause the high numbers. We have no answers, although Michael seems to be doing really well now. As a parent, though, I would suggest more research.

As far as kids stuff goes though - the Parks & Leisure services run by the city has great summer programs for the kids. I realize this isn't what the original poster was looking for, but I see that others are interested. There is also a GREAT organized soccer league for kids here. Also, now that I think about it, there's a soccer league for adults too. (Sierra Vista Soccer League - you can find it online.)

I have two little puppies, and we take them to Apache Animal Clinic, and I have gone there for years. I absolutely love them. Pets are HUGE here... I can't imagine one of the MANY vet places in town wouldn't be looking for new talent... there are quite a few clinics here, and with the many small outlying towns around, I can't imagine there wouldn't be something within a short (30 min.) drive. Good luck!

It get's amazingly windy here in January and April, but it's a small price to pay for our great weather. We probably have 300 days of sunshine a year. It's simply amazing. And the sunsets? Don't even get me started. My absolute favorite time of day! And the monsoons... have you heard of those yet? From the 4th of July through Labor Day, it pretty much rains every afternoon. It gets nice and sticky and humid all day, and then about 3pm, the heavens open up and it POURS. It's great. We get great lightning storms from it. I heard once, that 75% of the lightning photos you see in calendars and such are taken here in Cochise County. It really is great.

The Rotary Club puts on a great 4th of July show... GREAT fireworks.

I have lived in 4 different neighborhoods in SV through the years. Currently live at the end of Yaqui, south of town, and love every bit of it! We live under the 'blimp' - when you move here, you'll know what I'm talking about. It's nice and quiet and removed - we have deer in our front yard just about every week. I know people in just about every neighborhood in town. I would avoid Fry Township (north of Fry Blvd. & west of 7th street). Also not great areas are Buffalo Soldier Trail to Carmichael, south of Fry & north of Golf Links. You can do a ride-around with the Police department to check out neighborhoods, and you can also call them to get a report on a neighborhood you're interested in.

Ok, I'm rambling.... but I just found this thread and had to put in my 2 cents. I'm a portrait photographer here in town and own my own business. I work with many families, both transitional (military) or stable. Everyone I know loves it. Sure, we all have our complaints, but in the end, we stay.

Good luck, and please feel free to send me a private message if you need more info!

Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 9,368 times
Quick question - how do you send a private message to someone if looking for more on info on the area - thanks!

Old 06-06-2007, 06:45 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,197,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostii View Post
Quick question - how do you send a private message to someone if looking for more on info on the area - thanks!
Click their name at the top of the post. Send PM is an option. Note that when you are brand new it may not be available. If it is not on the list send a message to the moderator.

Old 12-24-2007, 02:15 PM

36 posts, read 89,211 times
Are there any health clubs in Sierra Vista? My son wants to work in the field of physical training at a gym or health club. He would be working with those in need of instruction in the physical training area, including retirees.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:53 PM

1 posts, read 3,256 times
Default Rental in Douglas

My friends ar moving to Douglas the 1st of the year and need to find an apartment. They would prefer a nice location. We would like to make phone calls before leaving and trying to find a place once there.

Thanks,

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona