Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 06:07 PM

65 posts, read 121,745 times

Advertisements

Wait, you want to trade the upcoming mild, sunny winter in Arizona for a long, dark, rainy winter in Oregon? You must REALLY be homesick.

I'd wait out the lease and enjoy the winter, try to save some money, and then jump as it gets hot here and really nice there.

Main thing, calm down and form a viable plan. Desperation never helps. Rarely, anyway. Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 08:52 PM

20 posts, read 20,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Heading into cooler weather, so you have time to make some plans that make sense. If there's someone in OR that will let you use their address (and if you still have an OR cell phone?) that might help with jobs. But, if they want an in person interview, you have to get there.

The summer heat here is no secret, nor is the desert soil. Good luck!
yes the weather is finally cooling down a bit so I have some time to think & plan. I suppose I could use a relatives address in OR, but they would still want me there for an interview, which would be feasably impossible.. im still checking w/temp agcys right now though.. hoping there are some who will work with me & maybe Skype or do a phone interview w/the employer. There must be more people like me, who are in my situation who can't do an in-person interview. Not sure why they need to see me anyway..when it can just as easily be done over the phone on other means. Thank you, geez i sound like a hot mess! lol life can be complicated sometimes

Old 09-06-2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin Mann View Post
Wait, you want to trade the upcoming mild, sunny winter in Arizona for a long, dark, rainy winter in Oregon? You must REALLY be homesick.

I'd wait out the lease and enjoy the winter, try to save some money, and then jump as it gets hot here and really nice there.

Main thing, calm down and form a viable plan. Desperation never helps. Rarely, anyway. Good luck!
I know what your saying & it sounds a little desperate/crazy, but my lease ends on 10/31. My son is living w/me & he is going to be working a temp job that ends in December...so i will be here on a month-to-month tenancy at least until the end of Dec. That way, we can enjoy the cooler weather & save $ for the trip home. Your right though, I need to calm down...i tend to take the "fight or flight" mode when it comes to big, life changing decisions..its just my nature.. Thank you Treavelin Mann.. lots of good advice on this site, i appreciate everyone's feedback...

Last edited by Luddeckens; 09-06-2016 at 09:58 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayennev8 View Post
I feel you're pain but here's the bright side, it's cooling down in AZ so you have a few months to get your self together.

first - as soon as the lease is up, move to a cheaper place if you can. You have to reduce as many expenses as possible NOW and save it.

second - get rid of as much stuff as you can, sell it or give it away because moving stuff is expensive.

Third - If you are a professional, start sending your resume with your families address so you look local and see what the climate is.

It could be a risk but if you get first and last month's rent for a new place saved up you might be able to deck it out. There are good roommate possibilities too that could work for a less expensive short term option.

Lastly, I agree with other's unemployment probably won;t work but here's the deal, it's not meant to replace income. I would guess that it would barely cover utilities.
My rent is pretty cheap right now, im only paying $650. a month & that includes water/sewer/garbage. my son is living w/me & will be working a temp job the next few months, so he's going to be saving $ for the trip home. I'm also going to be selling a lot of items because I dont want to have to rent a huge truck to drive everything home, plus it will give me extra $ for expenses. And when we get back home to OR, my son will be living w/me for awhile, thus splitting the rent & electric bills, etc...so that will be a big help. And your right, unemployment wont work if I quit my job, so that's not something I will be looking in to. I've always had a job & been self reliant, so I really don't like depending on the system anyway, unless I was really desperate. Thank you for your feedback!

Old 09-06-2016, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
The issues in the OP's post would be the same whether the OP moves back to OR or moves to CO, except that the distance is less. The OP knows the OR weather and still wants to go back.
Yeah the other difference is that I still have some family in OR & I don't know anyone in CO...

Old 09-06-2016, 11:14 PM

551 posts, read 692,615 times
A month to month cheap studio if you can find it might be the best bet during your transition. I would like to mention though that it took me YEARS to adjust to the heat but I eventually did. It can be very brutal your first year to get used to.

Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona