U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 03:55 PM

148 posts, read 447,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel9798 View Post
I will definitely take everything said into consideratoin when making my desicion.
Thanks again!!!
Take this into consideration: Not too many places that you can go swimming in an outdoor, unheated, swimming pool in Feb.

My daughter went for a dip today. I figured she would jump in, then right back out. She ended up swimming for about 40 min.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2008, 12:27 AM

356 posts, read 740,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebelt1234 View Post
I wouldn't recommend teaching in Yuma. I currently work in the Foothills which has some of the best elementary schools in Yuma. I am teaching first grade and have about 6 boys in my class who act like little thugs. I had 2 boys say he wanted to kill someone, one show his genitals in art class, two of them showed the middle finger, one boy said Kiss my a## to the whole class, one boy put another in a headlock, one boy wanted to throw a chair across the room. I could go on but I really don't want to. Even my principal said I have a bunch of jerks in my class. I don't want to teach in Yuma any more. I never had this many challenging students in one class when I was student teaching in the Midwest. I hope to find a job back there this summer. I am considering leaving teaching but I thought about trying a different school first to see if it got any better. Here in Yuma teachers don't get a lot of support, unemployment is high so many parents don't work, and there are a lot of parents basically doing slave labor because they are illegal immigrants and can't find any other job. Oh, did I mention you also have to deal with groups like T4S who come in and all they do is criticize your teaching.

Wow. I grew up in the Midwest, and in the big scheme of things, it wasn't too long ago that I was in school.

I have a hard time with parents who would let their kids act like that. My teachers would have called home, and by the time I got to the house my mother would have thought up a proper punishment.... and it never would have happened again.

And I hate to say it, but many hispanic families just flat out don't care. I think it may come from not having education be very important in the old country. Later generations seem to do much better, but the mentality of those parents who immigrated here, and granted, this isn't all but a good number, is that their kids are just going to drop out and get a crummy job anyway because that's what they did, and although the gringos look down on it, when you're coming from a country where indoor plumbing is for the mega rich, making $7 an hour ain't so bad.

And where I went to school, those kids you mention would be in special classes so that the ones who wanted to learn wouldn't be disrupted.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:00 PM

16 posts, read 36,149 times
Default my trip to yuma

OK, i was Just there... spent a week, Earthquakes and all....
it is just as i thought, like florida without the humidity and Beaches!!
(i saw your beach, and i will stand by that statement!!!) As far as the tourists, bad traffic, wait at resturants, etc, bla bla, ... I did not see it. some people have said too many hispanics, but it was no more than i expected, no long waits at resturants, everyone was nice and polite, Very welcoming, some very good resturants, my new favs are: river city grill and jullianna's. and millys or mollys or mimi's, i can't recall... I hear the happy greek and jb's are fun. did not like mi familie.
Housing was just as expensive as anywhere else, less than someplaces, more than others. overall, less than florida. looks like every one was out to the dunes, and having fun.
i know it is HOT in the summer, i have lived in kansas with 110+ for 2 months,,....but thats why there is AIR CONDITIONING!
LOTS of trailers!! wow!!!!
My husband is there now and i will be joining him in a few months. i liked the falls ranch and barkley ranch area, now
just looking for tennis courts and swimming pools!!
waiting for my dental hygiene license and then look for a job!!!
suzan

Old 02-26-2008, 08:23 AM

356 posts, read 740,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susank12 View Post
OK, i was Just there... spent a week, Earthquakes and all....
it is just as i thought, like florida without the humidity and Beaches!!
(i saw your beach, and i will stand by that statement!!!) As far as the tourists, bad traffic, wait at resturants, etc, bla bla, ... I did not see it. some people have said too many hispanics, but it was no more than i expected, no long waits at resturants, everyone was nice and polite, Very welcoming, some very good resturants, my new favs are: river city grill and jullianna's. and millys or mollys or mimi's, i can't recall... I hear the happy greek and jb's are fun. did not like mi familie.
Housing was just as expensive as anywhere else, less than someplaces, more than others. overall, less than florida. looks like every one was out to the dunes, and having fun.
i know it is HOT in the summer, i have lived in kansas with 110+ for 2 months,,....but thats why there is AIR CONDITIONING!
LOTS of trailers!! wow!!!!
My husband is there now and i will be joining him in a few months. i liked the falls ranch and barkley ranch area, now
just looking for tennis courts and swimming pools!!
suzan

There is a public pool. We used to call it the toilet. If you're looking into Barkley or Falls, you'll likely have your own pool.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:20 AM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,310,808 times
Temps in Yuma are lovely right now..."just like Florida without the humidity"... but I believe you will feel differently in June, July, August, September, and on. Although perhaps not...it's all a matter of preferences. And WHERE in Kansas is it 110+ degrees for two months at a time?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:35 PM

1 posts, read 2,019 times
Yuma is good news, I grew up there and currently live out in the Phoenix vicinity, I'm planing to go back soon, there are some good things happening there and so many nice things to do, also, Yuma is near everything, you can go to the California coast in just two and a half hours, then you can go to the beach in Mexico in just a bit over an hour, then you have Phoenix in two hours and not to mention that its a small town, but not too small, perfect to raise your kids, if you have any, its just a matter of getting acquainted with the right people to make your life easier and happier. Also, if your planning to continue your education, you have the Univerisities as well. I believe that Yuma is a great place to live, because its not too small and not too big, you find everything you want in one small town, it has its bad like everywhere else you go, but I see that local government takes good care to not get it out of control, they do a good job, and as you know and as an adult you form your own ambient, either if you want it to be relaxed or jumpy. The weater its beautiful, there are ( 9 ) nine months of the year that are awesome, the other three are a little hot, but that is when you have the excuse to escape to the beach, to the lake or just at the comfort of your pool, now a pool must be something you want to have, because in summer time you and your your family definitely will enjoy, I hope this comments help somehow.

Old 02-29-2008, 02:19 PM

16 posts, read 36,149 times
Default kansas was hotter than i expected!!!

"And WHERE in Kansas is it 110+ degrees for two months at a time? "

Central Kansas, summer '03. I had 13 inch deep cracks in the yard from drought and heat!! i stopped watering the lawn and watered the foundation of the house!! probably not a constant, but triple digits for july and august.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:32 PM

Location: In the North Idaho woods, still surrounded by terriers
2,178 posts, read 4,310,808 times
Whew! That's amazing! I have family in Kansas and I never realized it got that hot there...I know they have hot summers and lots of humidity at times, but did not know it got that bad. Add to that the occasional tornado and no wonder Yuma looks great to you

Old 02-29-2008, 07:55 PM

38 posts, read 98,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susank12 View Post

A tip on job hunting in Yuma since you're just starting out. Send your resume to every dental office in the yellow pages, not just those who are advertising. This is a "medical shortage area" and many practices have been looking for years (I kid you not) for professionals to join their practices. Over those years, they may slack off on placing ads (that seldom yield results). Some that aren't advertising would snatch you right up.

I'm sure you'll weather our heat just fine. I received one of the worst sunburns of my life in Manhattan, KS. And if you ask me, it's damned cold outside at nights right now with these 70 / 80 degree days. Come on 90's!

Old 02-29-2008, 08:05 PM

148 posts, read 447,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yumadons View Post
Come on 90's!
DITTO!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona