Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Prop 205 to Legalize Recreational Marijuana in Arizona
I vote YES. 84 66.14%
I vote NO. 37 29.13%
Undecided / No Opinion 6 4.72%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:55 PM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
What don't we know? Marijuana is older than we are and has been smoked for centuries.

You're casting it as some hard drug, it's not. Moreover, the issue is criminalizing growing a PLANT!
Same with Coca,Opium,peyote,Kaht etc etc etc. How about those?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:15 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
Same with Coca,Opium,peyote,Kaht etc etc etc. How about those?
I'm gonna level with you, it's none of my business if people use those, punitive measures haven't prevented their use. It's not my place to use my moral judgment to render them illegal and penalize people for them.

Peyote is used on reservations to this day for religious purposes, Coca is used in teas across the Andes. Opium is already legal in pill form.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
I'm gonna level with you, it's none of my business if people use those, punitive measures haven't prevented their use. It's not my place to use my moral judgment to render them illegal and penalize people for them.

Peyote is used on reservations to this day for religious purposes, Coca is used in teas across the Andes. Opium is already legal in pill form.
So at what point does anything become "your business"? Speed laws obviously don't work as people still rampantly speed so should we drop speed limit fines/laws? I'm not being facetious, I wonder at what point a line is drawn or is there one?

Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,954,248 times
Quote:
So at what point does anything become "your business"? Speed laws obviously don't work as people still rampantly speed so should we drop speed limit fines/laws? I'm not being facetious, I wonder at what point a line is drawn or is there one?
A consensual activity that doesn't harm other people should be legal. I've said that before. Studies have shown that lower freeway speed limits actually increase the danger of freeways. The autobahn is one of the safest highways in the world. But if you're speeding and injure somebody that's a problem.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:39 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Drug use is a victimless crime, where reckless driving can very easily harm others. Let your puritanical beliefs go already

Old 11-02-2016, 08:59 PM

2,806 posts, read 3,176,305 times
Quote:
So only the government can find "winner herbs" and discern from "loser herbs"? As in tobacco vs. marijuana? And tobacco is ok from age 16 but marijuana not ok from age 21? Since when are Arizona conservatives now for big government and bureaucracy when it comes to herbs? And can we have more government winners as in better safety nets, more worker protections, mandatory pension plans for all employees etc.? Let's not stop with the "winner herbs" please.

Old 11-03-2016, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Drug use is a victimless crime, where reckless driving can very easily harm others. Let your puritanical beliefs go already
Is it really though? I would highly suggest you need to look into that idea further, maybe ask the family members of drug abusers or the victims of violence due to drug usage/sales... Remember, we KNOW for a FACT (using CO as the example) that black market sales/grows will not go away.

Last edited by jimj; 11-03-2016 at 06:54 AM..

Old 11-03-2016, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potential_Landlord View Post
So only the government can find "winner herbs" and discern from "loser herbs"? As in tobacco vs. marijuana? And tobacco is ok from age 16 but marijuana not ok from age 21? Since when are Arizona conservatives now for big government and bureaucracy when it comes to herbs? And can we have more government winners as in better safety nets, more worker protections, mandatory pension plans for all employees etc.? Let's not stop with the "winner herbs" please.
First off, tobacco age is 18 and now 21 in some places. As for the rest, well, I think I've made it pretty clear in prior posts that more information is needed before legalization occurs. We know what we don't know yet.
I'm beginning to wonder why some are so hell bent on making it legal RIGHT NOW? Maybe it's because the visions of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ are dancing in their heads?

Old 11-03-2016, 07:09 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,590,333 times
Quote:
Is it really though? I would highly suggest you need to look into that idea further, maybe ask the family members of drug abusers or the victims of violence due to drug usage/sales... Remember, we KNOW for a FACT (using CO as the example) that black market sales/grows will not go away.
Actually, one, legally sold drugs will be cheaper than illicit drug sales, the huge reason that illegal drugs are so expensive is due to risk, if that risk is gone, the price drops, and if someone has the choice to go to a creepy street dealer or to say a Walgreens to get there drugs, most will choose the Walgreens.

And two, you could make the same argument about alcohol and alcoholics, do you want to make alcohol illegal again as well? Look how well that worked out (cough) Al Capone (cough) Arnold Rothstein (cough) Lucky Luciano (cough)(cough)

Stop living among the morality legislating puritans already

Old 11-03-2016, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Actually, one, legally sold drugs will be cheaper than illicit drug sales, the huge reason that illegal drugs are so expensive is due to risk, if that risk is gone, the price drops, and if someone has the choice to go to a creepy street dealer or to say a Walgreens to get there drugs, most will choose the Walgreens.

And two, you could make the same argument about alcohol and alcoholics, do you want to make alcohol illegal again as well? Look how well that worked out (cough) Al Capone (cough) Arnold Rothstein (cough) Lucky Luciano (cough)(cough)

Stop living among the morality legislating puritans already
As for your first argument, your conclusion is flawed as shown in CO. People will in fact go to black market dealers BECAUSE (as you clearly state) it's cheaper, WAYYYY cheaper. Now there will be those who are willing to spend the bucks to go to the potmarts, kind of like those that are willing to pay $200 for a bottle of wine that may or may not be better than the $10 or even $5 bottles but there will be a large group that will be happy going to "Walmart" and pay $3 so the black market will remain alive and well and so will all the problems associated with it.

Using your own analogy concerning Alcohol, why the hell would we want to add another problem to the mix? Just because you want to get stoned and damn the consequences both known and the unintended? Especially when we KNOW some of the issues that are not addressed in the current legislation.
That's just pure selfishness in my opinion.

I won't even bother to address your insults as they are probably just drug induced lashing out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona