U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:43 PM

510 posts, read 1,301,187 times

Advertisements

What exactly ARE the Gun Laws in AZ? Do you need a permit only to carry CONCEALED, and what exactly is considered CONCEALED?

I read that recently AZ changed a law about where a person can carry a gun into. Can anyone enlighten me? I have been reading conflicting reports.

Thanks a lot!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 07:45 PM

1 posts, read 37,696 times
Default Open Carry

Try this link

[url=http://opencarry.org/az.html]OpenCarry.org - State Information For Arizona[/url]

Hope you find it useful.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:09 PM

8,750 posts, read 16,700,071 times
Arizona seems to go out of their way to keep its guns laws a secret. However, the DPS does a pretty good job of explaining CCW rules in reader's digest version in their FAQ. Check it out: Arizona Department of Public Safety-Concealed Weapons Permit Unit

To answer your questions, anybody can carry "open". Concealed means that it's not at least partly visible to the point that it's not recognizable as a gun.

The rules about where you can carry concealed (with a CCW) are actually very simple, and pretty much as described in the above link. In summary:

1) You cannot carry into any private establishment that says you can't.
2) You cannot carry into any establishment that serves alcohol.
3) You cannot carry on school property.

Hope that helps.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:11 PM

51,046 posts, read 29,133,009 times
You are allowed to carry in the vehicle with you, as long as the weapon is visible. If you get pulled over and the officer finds a concealed weapon without a permit, the officer may arrest you if you've had previous criminal history. If you don't have such history, then you'll only be warned. Further violations may result in your arrest.

When you apply for a concealed carry permit, you'll be required to take a course, and pass a test, in firearms safety and self defense before the permit can be given to you.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:55 PM

Thanks you guys! I have a carry permit in anothe state, but I still have to go through all the traing again. Oh, well. No biggee.

But this next part is confusing:

"Can I carry a firearm into an establishment that serves alcoholic drinks for consumption on the premises if I have my CCW permit? No. No one (except police officers) may carry a firearm (concealed or not) into any establishment that serves alcoholic drinks for consumption on the premises (this includes restaurants). The only exceptions are: 1) you temporarily enter such an establishment for the purpose of reporting an emergency and do not receive, possess or consume an alcoholic drink; 2) you are the licensee or an employee (acting with the licensee's permission) of such an establishment; 3) you are summoned to assist a peace officer who is acting in the official performance of official duties; 4) to enter hotel or motel guest room accommodations or 5) the exhibition or display of a firearm in conjunction with a meeting, show, class or similar event. Active and retired officers carrying under LEOSA may be prohibited from carrying concealed weapons if the establishment is posted, see the LEOSA page for details. (ARS 4-244.29 - 30, 13-3102.C.1 and Public Law 108-277)"

So, what I read a few weeks ago...was that pertaining to OPEN carry? The discussion was about NOW being able to carry or wear (I can't 'member!) a gun into restaurants in AZ that happen to serve alcohol. But NOT into bars.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 AM

949 posts, read 1,562,753 times
Last I heard, they tried to change it so you could carry into a restaurant that served alcohol, but it got shot down.

You may look at the site again, and see if your state permit works in AZ. I know some states accept other states' permits.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:30 AM

706 posts, read 2,848,117 times
There is some dangerous advice given in a few posts above...

AZ law is strict against carrying in school zones and restaurants that serve alcohol. That is a given. As has been noted, you can not carry in places that prohibit it (private property)

You may carry open or 'partially concealed' without a permit. I say 'partially concealed' which is a misnomer, but as long as the gun itself or a portion of the holster is recognizable, you are not technically carrying 'concealed.'

Now to the vehicle laws. You are allowed a gun anywhere in the passenger compartment as long as it is in a holster. Glove box, map pocket, dashboard, under the seat, etc. etc. as long as it's in a holster.

The minute you take the gun out of a holster, it can only be in the glove box, map pocket, or open view, or you are carrying a concealed weapon and committing misconduct with a weapon. It's a class I misdemeanor.

The poster who suggested that a cop will 'warn' you if you don't have any previous offenses is not right. I'll never give a legit citizen a hard time for carrying concealed, but we have no way of telling if you've been given a 'warning' before.

An officer 'may' arrest you anytime you commit misconduct with a weapon.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:58 AM

999 posts, read 4,072,114 times
I believe you also may not carry into government buildings, court houses, etc....But these the govt at these types of buildings is required to provide a means for you to lock your gun up in storage (like in a lock box) before the point where firearms are not allowed.

AZ does recognize other states' CCW permits. Also, off-duty cops and retired cops may carry under the "Law Enforcement Officers' Public Safety Act.

Here's the link to AZ Revised Statutes if you want to search it for open carry law.

Arizona Revised Statutes

Old 02-25-2008, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post
I believe you also may not carry into government buildings, court houses, etc....But these the govt at these types of buildings is required to provide a means for you to lock your gun up in storage (like in a lock box) before the point where firearms are not allowed.

AZ does recognize other states' CCW permits. Also, off-duty cops and retired cops may carry under the "Law Enforcement Officers' Public Safety Act.

Here's the link to AZ Revised Statutes if you want to search it for open carry law.

Arizona Revised Statutes

You freakin' rock! Thanks!!

Old 02-25-2008, 02:13 PM

1,766 posts, read 5,451,818 times
I just returned from four days in Phoenix and brought a sidearm with me in checked baggage. I carried it most of the time I was out of my hotel except for in a bar and in gov't. bldgs. I have VA and NH CCW's. Sure is gonna be tough when I get an AZ driver's license and can't CCW for the few weeks it takes to get my AZ CCW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona