Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 11:07 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,113,409 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
I think it didn't pass primarily based on concerns for DUI. There is no way to test if someone is under the influence of marijuana because it remains in your system for days. I think once they develop an objective test to this it will pass. I also think the Arizona law will need to exclude certain edibles (candy, lollipops) that can attract children.

Arizona is conservative but reasonable. They will need to amend the law for it pass but it will. Also, voter apathy has to be addressed. It's not enough to talk about a law but real measures need to be undertaken to teach residents how to register to vote and how to enroll in early ballot. I think the latter will do more to ensure this passes than anything else. You see fancy ads discuss the pros of such a law but they should be more basic than that. The laws' sponsors should do more to register young voters and organize them. Instead of spending all of this money on a fancy ad that states it will pour money into schools, they should have an ad showing you how to register to vote and how to receive early ballot and have those ads out months in advance. I think the idea of voting is still intimidating to many young people and residents new to Arizona, they don't know where to start. You don't know how many educated people asked me how to register for early ballot or didn't know even know it existed.
The influance onus needs to be placed squarly on the police (and on employers once it becomes federally legal). If they can prove imparment with the existing tests then to bad so sad, they better get R&Ding ASAP. Not our problem as the people, maybe do a field sobriety test.

I will be excited when employers are barred from testing for it other than maybe 12 hr look back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 08:18 AM

3,631 posts, read 7,670,748 times
I think it only passed in NV because a huge percentage of residents were already smoking it so why not tax it. I didn't think it would pass in AZ...high population of retired folks from conservative backgrounds.

Old 11-18-2016, 02:34 PM

2,530 posts, read 1,862,143 times
Don't give up. AZ still has a chance in 2020. It was pretty close anyway, not a big deal. Then NM needs to follow suit too. And maybe Texas...

Old 11-18-2016, 06:57 PM

1,013 posts, read 977,633 times
Did it occur to anyone that maybe "no" is the right answer. Don't we have enough problems with alcohol use/abuse. You want to add another intoxicating drug with all its advers effects. What's next, legalize narcotics, heroin, cocaine, meth?

Old 11-18-2016, 08:32 PM

2,950 posts, read 1,637,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDog View Post
Did it occur to anyone that maybe "no" is the right answer. Don't we have enough problems with alcohol use/abuse. You want to add another intoxicating drug with all its advers effects. What's next, legalize narcotics, heroin, cocaine, meth?
Prohibition has proven to be a failure for decades.

Why would "no" be the right answer when all evidence says otherwise?

Old 11-18-2016, 09:10 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
If you don't hurt other people what's it to you?

Old 11-19-2016, 12:58 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,950,661 times
It will pass next time, there will be more Commiefornian druggies here then.

Soon it will be Airizonifornia.

Old 11-19-2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
If you don't hurt other people what's it to you?
Um...driving under the influence? Second hand smoke? Cost of taxpayer funded healthcare for MJ caused health problems?

Old 11-19-2016, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburress View Post
Prohibition has proven to be a failure for decades.

Why would "no" be the right answer when all evidence says otherwise?
What evidence? Evidence that MJ is good for you? Lol

Old 11-19-2016, 08:45 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
Um...driving under the influence? Second hand smoke? Cost of taxpayer funded healthcare for MJ caused health problems?
Driving under the influence hurts people smart guy. That's different than doing drugs at home.

That's like saying drinking hurts people. It does, when they take it a step further, but that's not at issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: