Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 04:16 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I think he made his point pretty clearly. He agrees with the custom of tipping, but also understands that he is in control of how much the server receives depending on what the level of service merits.
He has no problem with tipping since it is a "tradition" but is "not very generous" in his tipping even though the "tradition" is to be generous.

That is like me saying, I agree with paying employees a fair living wage but I'm not very generous and only pay them minimum wage because that is all they are worth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 05:13 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
He has no problem with tipping since it is a "tradition" but is "not very generous" in his tipping even though the "tradition" is to be generous.

That is like me saying, I agree with paying employees a fair living wage but I'm not very generous and only pay them minimum wage because that is all they are worth.
No, it's not like that at all.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:45 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,093,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
So, you have no problem with tipping and see no reason to change due to it being a long held tradition? Then, in the next sentence you state you are not a generous tipper and feel leaving two or three pennies for poor service is appropriate.

If "tips" are in fact supplementing wages as has been said in this thread and from the service industry in general then you should not be leaving no tip (or next to none) even for poor service. You should adjust your tip between the "traditional" 10% - 20% depending on the service.

It sounds to me like you do have a problem with tipping. Or, you have no problem with it as long as you don't have to be generous.
Let me clarify. I don't go out to eat very often but when I do, I don't whip out my smartphone and calculate the exact percentage of my tip. I have read many posts here that lead me to believe that some do and make sure it is 20+%. Usually, I just round up to the nearest five on my CC receipt, unless of course that is less than a couple dollars. I should also point out that I mostly go out alone and eat at little mom and pop restaurants, real Americana so my bill isn't real big. Like I said, I don't whip out my calculator, I mentally know it is at least 10% and who knows? Maybe sometimes it is more than 20%. Most times my 'generosity' is also based upon what I can afford at the time.

The two or three cents thing is left over from the days when I used to carry around cash much more than I do these days.

Old 12-20-2016, 03:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Calculating 20% without using a calculator is something most school children can do. It's really pretty simple to ensure that you leave an adequate tip for adequate service.

Old 12-21-2016, 04:21 AM

9,741 posts, read 11,163,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Calculating 20% without using a calculator is something most school children can do. It's really pretty simple to ensure that you leave an adequate tip for adequate service.
Agreed ^^. As a public service announcement, here is what we all do. If the bill is $23.50, I simply move the decimal place over one place to the left or $2.35. That's 10%. Now, we double it or $4.70 which is 20%. If the service was good, I give them $5. If it is so-so service, then I pay $4 for a tip. TADA!

In case anyone accuses me of taking out my smartphone, I didn't. This was taught in a prepubescent math class. But evidently a lot of folks struggle with TIP calculations. Therefore some restaurants list off the TIP calculation for 15%, 18%, 20% and 22% amounts. Not so much in the mom and pop places... But unfortunately, that cheat still makes the math challenged patrons add two things to get to the grand total. During the next C-D math class, I'll cover how to calculate two digit addition problems using the carrying technique. Plus, we will cover how not to get stuck with a check while dining with your alligator-arm relatives.

Old 12-22-2016, 11:55 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,265,438 times
The minimum wage should have no impact on tipping. I base my tips on the quality of service, not how much a person's wages are. If I'm at a restaurant and the server is friendly, attentive, courteous, and timely, I will live a decent sized gratuity. If the server is rude, inattentive, slow, or unfriendly, the gratuity will much less. I always leave some kind of gratuity, but I have actually left nickel & dime tips to servers who fit the rude/slow category. I figure it sends more of a message than leaving no tip at all.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
The minimum wage should have no impact on tipping. I base my tips on the quality of service, not how much a person's wages are. If I'm at a restaurant and the server is friendly, attentive, courteous, and timely, I will live a decent sized gratuity. If the server is rude, inattentive, slow, or unfriendly, the gratuity will much less. I always leave some kind of gratuity, but I have actually left nickel & dime tips to servers who fit the rude/slow category. I figure it sends more of a message than leaving no tip at all.
Somebody gets it. And thanks for the elementary lesson in mathematics you other two. I don't know what I would have done without it.

Old 12-22-2016, 12:29 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Then I'm guessing you're in favor of raising the minimum wage of tipped workers to match the state-set minimum wage for all other workers?

Old 12-22-2016, 12:58 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Somebody gets it. And thanks for the elementary lesson in mathematics you other two. I don't know what I would have done without it.
You're very welcome! It was prompted by your suggestion that smartphones are needed to calculate percentages. Not sure why smartphones or calculators would be necessary at all.

Old 12-26-2016, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
You're very welcome! It was prompted by your suggestion that smartphones are needed to calculate percentages. Not sure why smartphones or calculators would be necessary at all.
Read what I posted again. I didn't mean to suggest that smartphone were needed, I only assumed that they were used.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: