Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 08:27 AM

4,866 posts, read 11,224,111 times

Advertisements

I went to Vegas recently, went to a cigar shop in the Forum Shops at Caesars Palace. They send a person in the humidor with you to keep an eye on you so you don't shoplift. They stand behind you watching while you look at the cigars. I picked a cigar, the person followed me out of the humidor and rang me up. The machine added an automatic 25% tip to my one $39 cigar. I was pissed but was embarrassed and felt like a cheapskate when I removed it.

That was $9.75 added to my bill for no service at all. Not only do they make you feel like you can't be trusted by having someone watch you in the humidor, they want you to tip for it.

Can't stand tipping especially now that it is being abused.

Last edited by LBTRS; 12-09-2016 at 08:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2016, 08:46 AM

4,071 posts, read 5,147,258 times
So as the OP stated....they were asking for their clients working waitstaff and making >$50k per year. We have family frineds that make >$80k per year as a Bartender. She doesn't even worry about paychecks. If they had to live off the minimum wage...Waitstaff and Bartenders would only be making $20,800 per year to start...taxable. Now we can argue that a beginning teacher with a college degree only gets paid $10k more than that or the EMT that just saved your life only earns $5 more per hour but that is another topic. If Waitstaff earned only the minimum wage, most would be taking a significant pay cut.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
So as the OP stated....they were asking for their clients working waitstaff and making >$50k per year. We have family frineds that make >$80k per year as a Bartender. She doesn't even worry about paychecks. If they had to live off the minimum wage...Waitstaff and Bartenders would only be making $20,800 per year to start...taxable. Now we can argue that a beginning teacher with a college degree only gets paid $10k more than that or the EMT that just saved your life only earns $5 more per hour but that is another topic. If Waitstaff earned only the minimum wage, most would be taking a significant pay cut.
Sounds like what they should be making to me. Many skilled workers make MUCH less than $80K per year.

Heck, I work in a medical facility full of nurses, aides, and administrators that don't make that a year.

Old 12-09-2016, 08:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 1,813,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
The only difference in that case is stability of pay and the constant need to be baller than everyone else to maintain pay. Salaried positions or wage workers in general don't have this pressure to maintain pay as it's constant, whether you have work or not. But if tipped employees are paid minimum wage in addition to tips, wouldn't that make it in line with the whole principle of tipping is one argument.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:31 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexethan View Post
They do and I don't get a tip. I get paid for the skilled service I provide, thank you.
Great, then you can afford to follow cultural norms and tip those whose livelihood depends on it. Or you have the option to stay home or eat fast food.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:17 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
Sounds like what they should be making to me. Many skilled workers make MUCH less than $80K per year.

Heck, I work in a medical facility full of nurses, aides, and administrators that don't make that a year.
We should mandate low wages for bartenders because you feel that you have the right to earn more then they do?

So much for free enterprise

Old 12-09-2016, 12:05 PM

285 posts, read 262,408 times
My friend was a server and made, I **** you not, less than $5 and hour. I have several friends who are waiters and servers and make less than the minimum wage. Because of this, I tip at least $10 and give more or less based on service quality. The reason the wage is so low is because America has the mindset that everyone tips and therefor they shouldn't be paid so much for it when they "automatically get tips" every shift.

I see no reason why their wage is so low so I do my best if and when I go out. If you can't afford to decently tip, don't go out to eat. Then don't get mad at the people serving you if things are late or their busy or, if they know you don't tip period, just kinda ignore you in general and focus more on known tippers.

But regardless of service, $10 is the minimum because I KNOW their wages are **** and I hope my $10 can at least help them afford to get to and from work. I know when I got tipped at my old bar job, that was immediate gas money and I was immediately thankful every time someone tipped me. Its only right to do the same when you know the situation. Especially with the amount of people living check to check these days, any little bit counts.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:18 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
How ridiculous. If someone either can't or won't tip, they should stay home.

I will continue to tip 20% or more. How much they make does not matter to me; I want others to be successful.
So you're going to tip 20% regardless of the service you get? I personally tip based on the level of service I get. I never just automatically tip. I'm with the tipping is based on service not your expectation. Dont expect a tip from me if you have a crap attitude and or a crap service. I'm

Old 12-09-2016, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisTK View Post
My friend was a server and made, I **** you not, less than $5 and hour. I have several friends who are waiters and servers and make less than the minimum wage. Because of this, I tip at least $10 and give more or less based on service quality. The reason the wage is so low is because America has the mindset that everyone tips and therefor they shouldn't be paid so much for it when they "automatically get tips" every shift.

I see no reason why their wage is so low so I do my best if and when I go out. If you can't afford to decently tip, don't go out to eat. Then don't get mad at the people serving you if things are late or their busy or, if they know you don't tip period, just kinda ignore you in general and focus more on known tippers.

But regardless of service, $10 is the minimum because I KNOW their wages are **** and I hope my $10 can at least help them afford to get to and from work. I know when I got tipped at my old bar job, that was immediate gas money and I was immediately thankful every time someone tipped me. Its only right to do the same when you know the situation. Especially with the amount of people living check to check these days, any little bit counts.
I'm a paying customer, you should be providing outstanding service to me because I am patronizing the business that employees you. If your boss is letting the hired help decide how his/her customers are treated then there are serious problems in that establishment. Your attitude is the problem, tips are expected regardless of the service provided. Tips should be for exceptional service, however, the service industry and lazy wait staff have us convinced it is our duty to tip poor and mediocre service.

No tip should not equal "ignore you in general and focus on known tippers", it should equal good customer service. Provide me great service and I'll tip you accordingly. Unfortunately, I'm expected to tip 15% (and do) even when the service sucks.

If your friend was making less than $5/hour as waitstaff then he/she wasn't doing a good job. The wait staff that I know personally do MUCH better than minimum wage.

Old 12-09-2016, 12:37 PM

285 posts, read 262,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBTRS View Post
I'm a paying customer, you should be providing outstanding service to me because I am patronizing the business that employees you. If your boss is letting the hired help decide how his/her customers are treated then there are serious problems in that establishment. Your attitude is the problem, tips are expected regardless of the service provided. Tips should be for exceptional service, however, the service industry and lazy wait staff have us convinced it is our duty to tip poor and mediocre service.

No tip should not equal "ignore you in general and focus on known tippers", it should equal good customer service. Provide me great service and I'll tip you accordingly. Unfortunately, I'm expected to tip 15% (and do) even when the service sucks.

If your friend was making less than $5/hour as waitstaff then he/she wasn't doing a good job. The wait staff that I know personally do MUCH better than minimum wage.
Base wage IS less than $5 for waitstaff out there and has been for several years.

But I continue to tip a lot because, lets me honest, they don't make a lot and I'm not their only table most of time. I'm a guy who knows they make little, I know what it feels like to make little, and I like to help some.

I've watched waiters and waitresses get ULTRA psyched when they see the tips I leave and nothing makes me happier. I enjoy making people happy and I only go out to eat when I can tip a lot.

Now being a rude ass hell waiter will get you less and thats about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: