Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 10:38 AM

3,763 posts, read 6,706,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkotronics View Post
An outsider like me takes what from all of this, some of you might ask? Not a lotta negative from mattywo85, that's for sure. I respect what Ruth said, corydon and kdog, because their look at Kingman is a balanced look at it. I would probably choose Benson or Tucson come retirement time anyway, but, Kingman's proximity to Vegas and the Grand Canyon, it's small nature and it's relative cheapness for housing speak volumes for those considering retirement there.

OK, mattywo85 - I sort of get your point, but don't have a lot of personal experience with Kingman, AZ. What towns near Kingman would you pursue as decent places ta live, in your book?
The closest "big town" to Kingman is obviously Las Vegas but it doesn't sound like you have any interest there. If you want to stay in Mohave County I'd recommend Lake Havasu, it's the nice city in Mohave County. It has the highest COL for the county but it's cheap compared to its close neighbor California. I advise you to drive through Kingman, good and bad, and decide for yourself. From your list I'd recommend Tucson. It's a medium size city with lots of to offer! I have a lot of personal experience in Kingman and got to see a side of Kingman most people don't so I'd say look elsewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2017, 01:56 PM

13,212 posts, read 21,818,531 times
I actually like Lake Havasu City (LHC) a lot. The big draw to LHC is of course the lake itself. It's the place to see and be seen by well-heeled boaters from LA. Negatives are stifling heat in the summer, averaging probably 110F for the entire summer. Yes, average. Also, LHC turns into a party town during most of spring and summer, but particularly during school spring break weeks. Locals get pretty fed up with the town being overrun by drunk college kids. The traffic is horrible for much of the year because of this as well.

A lot of people like Kingman because it's substantially cooler and much more quiet and laid back than Havasu. Plus you can drive up into the Hualapai Mountains where there's a nice park for hanging out, camping, etc, which is nice and cool in the summer. Residents from Havasu go there to cool off.

Google Lake Havasu Spring break and you'll see tons of movies like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TGUHalqI8

Old 01-16-2017, 02:19 PM

7,940 posts, read 9,488,320 times
Ahh, I wouldn't rule out Lost Wages, but my wife already did. I don't like the sound of Lake Havasu City, either, but I'd go check it out first, of course. Kingman is just above Bisbee for 3rd on my Arizona possibilities list. Little 'ole Benson is only 40 miles east of Tucson and quiet, too. Benson is first, Tucson 2nd, Kingman 3rd and Bisbee 4th. Showlow?

Old 01-16-2017, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Showlow?
Haven't been there but I hear it's nice. 6,400' elevation, so it snows quite a bit there in the winter. I love going to the snow,but I don't care for home-delivery.

Old 01-18-2017, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdog View Post
I actually like Lake Havasu City (LHC) a lot. The big draw to LHC is of course the lake itself. It's the place to see and be seen by well-heeled boaters from LA. Negatives are stifling heat in the summer, averaging probably 110F for the entire summer. Yes, average. Also, LHC turns into a party town during most of spring and summer, but particularly during school spring break weeks. Locals get pretty fed up with the town being overrun by drunk college kids. The traffic is horrible for much of the year because of this as well.

A lot of people like Kingman because it's substantially cooler and much more quiet and laid back than Havasu. Plus you can drive up into the Hualapai Mountains where there's a nice park for hanging out, camping, etc, which is nice and cool in the summer. Residents from Havasu go there to cool off.

Google Lake Havasu Spring break and you'll see tons of movies like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2TGUHalqI8
Residents dont go to Kingman to "cool off." Yes it's hot but once you live in Havasu you have no reason to come to Kingman unless you're going up to Vegas. Locals in Havasu don't have an issue with spring break and are well aware of it before moving. If it was that big of a concern they wouldn't have moved there. You also talk about traffic and party areas...aren't you in California which is highly known for both?

Old 01-18-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Ahh, I wouldn't rule out Lost Wages, but my wife already did. I don't like the sound of Lake Havasu City, either, but I'd go check it out first, of course. Kingman is just above Bisbee for 3rd on my Arizona possibilities list. Little 'ole Benson is only 40 miles east of Tucson and quiet, too. Benson is first, Tucson 2nd, Kingman 3rd and Bisbee 4th. Showlow?
If you're living in Benson you'll be doing everything in Tucson anyway, might as well live in Tucson.

Old 01-19-2017, 09:16 AM

If you're living in Benson you'll be doing everything in Tucson anyway, might as well live in Tucson.

Benson is a much smaller, mellower town. Housing costs ought ta be much lower there, too.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:39 PM

1,699 posts, read 2,430,332 times
I would rather pay to live in Benson, as living free in Tucson. It ain't a bad city, but it is a city... Benson is great.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 PM

I would rather pay to live in Benson, as living free in Tucson. It ain't a bad city, but it is a city... Benson is great.

Yep - Benson is tops for now on my list. I've still got 4 years, 7 months, 5 hours, 31 minutes and several seconds ta go until I plan on retiring. So a little ways ta go, still. I am already excited for it, though. I know of one good friend of mine in Washington state who is already retired. Makes me feel good for him but sad, sort of, for me!

Willcox is over to the east another 40 miles through the Dragoon Mountains, but it is then 40 more miles away from the big city, Tucson. That is one main reason that Benson is No. 1 right now. I mentioned housing prices - Benson's won't probably be way lower than Tucson's, it does depend on what a person wants ta go after. But I would guess that a similar house in both cities would be about 20% lower in little 'ole Benson, Arizona. Anyone chime in that knows real estate and I can go in to Trulia and/or Zillow sometime soon and verify that, too.

Old 01-20-2017, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
Residents dont go to Kingman to "cool off." Yes it's hot but once you live in Havasu you have no reason to come to Kingman unless you're going up to Vegas. Locals in Havasu don't have an issue with spring break and are well aware of it before moving. If it was that big of a concern they wouldn't have moved there. You also talk about traffic and party areas...aren't you in California which is highly known for both?
So let me get this straight. You know ALL the residents of Lake Havasu City and know for a fact that none of them visit the Hualapai Mountain Park in Kingman to cool off, camp, etc. That's a straight-up lie. When it's 112F in LHC, it's in the 80's in the Hualapais, which is just an hour away. I've met tons of Havasu residents in the park, plus know people in Havasu who do exactly that. Why would you make up such a ridiculous indefensible claim?

Quit lying.

Last edited by kdog; 01-20-2017 at 12:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona