Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:26 AM

37 posts, read 205,052 times

Advertisements

Arizonabear, you know those nifty computers in the police car's can tell the officer everything about you before he even decides to pull you over. Ever watch a cop next to you at a stop light tapping away? He is running plates of the cars in front and around him. Also, are you pulling a $200K boat? No? ok then you are safe.

Havasu, as you know, the services on the other side of the lake are few if any and you must drive to the indian reservation on a poor maintained dirt road. However, I have already suggested that people go to Lake Mohave. It is beautiful, great services, great hotels and even has secured parking at the hotels. The police are not out to shake you down and city Magistrate is a LAWYER not an ex-cop who is sitting in judgement over the officers he trained .

Old 03-01-2008, 11:38 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourist beware View Post
Arizonabear, you know those nifty computers in the police car's can tell the officer everything about you before he even decides to pull you over. Ever watch a cop next to you at a stop light tapping away? He is running plates of the cars in front and around him. Also, are you pulling a $200K boat? No? ok then you are safe.

Havasu, as you know, the services on the other side of the lake are few if any and you must drive to the indian reservation on a poor maintained dirt road. However, I have already suggested that people go to Lake Mohave. It is beautiful, great services, great hotels and even has secured parking at the hotels. The police are not out to shake you down and city Magistrate is a LAWYER not an ex-cop who is sitting in judgement over the officers he trained .
I don't think they want drunk, drugged and unruly people at Lake Mohave either.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:41 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
I never understood why anyone goes to LHC in the first place, unless youre in college on Spring Break. Ick.

Old 03-01-2008, 11:53 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I never understood why anyone goes to LHC in the first place, unless youre in college on Spring Break. Ick.
Wouldn't expect you to but LH used to be a fairly decent place to go until MTV did its spring break show there. Since then, it has become a popular hangout for young punks from AZ and CA who think that public drunkenness and lewd behavior is a constitutionally guaranteed right of theirs. The have ruined the place as a family destination on most weekends, especially holidays (Memorial Day was always a little raucous even before MTV), unless you like your kids to see drunks racing up and down the streets, women running around topless, people going at it in public, fights, and foul language filling the air.

Old 03-01-2008, 12:07 PM

Ponderosa. MTV did not bring the spring break crowd. MTV came because the crowd was already there.

Also, you seem to put all tourist in the same basket. I can tell you some things because I LIVE in Lake Havasu. You will find more drugs, drunks, dealers fights, topless women and foul language on McCulloch among the LOCALS than you will EVER find in the channel. The difference is? The people in the channel often did not do the crimes they are accused of; and the locals can stick around to fight a ticket.

I will say again. The Havasu PD is targeting tourists with FALSE charges (only crimes where the cops word is all it takes to convict) and the Judge is an EX-COP whose STATED GOAL is to generate more REVENUE than any other court in county.

Old 03-01-2008, 01:05 PM

30 posts, read 131,791 times
Hi, Tourist beware... I've been reading you posts about LHC for a quite a while now, and I realize you DON'T LIKE HAVASU AT ALL. Inasmuch as a lot that you say is true, I feel you have a vindictiveness against the City. I've been coming here since 1978, and yes, like I said, you are right in a lot of your assessments, but it seems you're trying to chase people off as oppose to let them make their own judgment of the City. I moved here from San Diego in 2004, and it's not any worse here than it was in San Diego, taking in the general population and the tourists as it is. Do you LIVE here? Have you LIVED here? If I was you I would definitely consider relocating. I don't plan on living here forever either, but if you think it's as bad as you make it out to be. I would definitely get the hell out of Dodge! And I do appreciate your opinion, although it is TOTALLY one-sided!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:00 PM

I love Lake Havasu City. I have lived there for twenty years and have seen the decay in quality law enforcement. I also spent alot of time volunteering with police agency's, coast guard, and other type of civic clubs. I owned a business in town. I spend much of my time now watching the court system in this city railroad people time after time.
I feel that if nobody stands up to tryanny then we all lose.

I love my city and rather than run from it I will stay and fight for it.

Old 03-01-2008, 03:31 PM

30 posts, read 131,791 times
I started to write a post to you and I lost it... damnt! . Like I said I don't plan on staying here forever either. I loved and lived in San Diego for 45 years but it got to be like this town too, so I can relate.--and it was sooooo sad .

As for the police - I think it's a City Council issue. I know there have been issues with the LHCPD, but never did I realize it was as bad as it is until I started reading this forum. I could go on and on about what I've heard about the police, but it won't do any good until the people of this town speak up --- and I'm not necessarily talking about on this forum, I'm talkiing about to the City. A lot of the cops here are very young... and yes, excuses are like "&%holes" and they all have one, but it needs to be addressed. We have the kids from hell who party - that's inevitable, and then we have the snowbirds from hell who complain about EVERYTHING under the sun - they think they own this place. We're damned if we do or damned if we don't? It's a no win situation. I SAY.... IF YOU HAVE A ***** - GO TO THE CITY COUNCIL MEETINGS AND ADDRESS THE ISSUE!!!

I like it here for now, but my husband and I don't plan on staying long. We have a little "rustic" cabin on the other side of Grand Canyon Caverns and I'm hoping we can temporary reside there until we find somwhere else peaceful and with less criticisim. It will be tough cause we're ony 49 and 52, but we'd love to have a ranch and some peace and quiet. I've never lived in a small town - but I betcha' people would get along alot eaiser where there are less people and people are more cordia. It would be nice to beable to converse with neighbors without the sticks and stones! Hopefully we'll find that place one day. And if it doesn't work.... there's always another place that God could suggest!!!! Just wanted to rant!!!!! We're still young and plan on a future... come hell or high water?????? Thanks

Old 03-01-2008, 05:20 PM

Talps thank you for your response. I did not relize how deep this problem was until I happened to be in the consolidated court to get a passport. I had some extra time so I decided to sit in and I was literally stunned.

I decided to look more into the problem and over the last few years have spoken to hundreds of people. Some were justly accussed and convicted but many were railroaded.

The answer to the problem is with the council and people have spoken out only to be ignored. Since the talk started on the boycott, which was not originated by me, the council seems to be very interested in looking into it. So far the Council has said that the signs in the channel are the problem and the police have attempted to track down posters on websites who have been critical of them. They also announced a new task force to concentrate on the channel.
The issue is serious. The council needs to do several things. First it needs to fire the current Lake Havasu Magistrate. He is at the apex of the problem. Once you have a Judge who respects the law and the rights of the people the Police will have no choice but to also. Secondly a citizens review board similar to Tucson should be formed. Thirdly, the badly flawed behavior ordinance needs to be revisited.

Old 03-01-2008, 09:42 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Wouldn't expect you to but LH used to be a fairly decent place to go until MTV did its spring break show there. Since then, it has become a popular hangout for young punks from AZ and CA who think that public drunkenness and lewd behavior is a constitutionally guaranteed right of theirs. The have ruined the place as a family destination on most weekends, especially holidays (Memorial Day was always a little raucous even before MTV), unless you like your kids to see drunks racing up and down the streets, women running around topless, people going at it in public, fights, and foul language filling the air.
Thats one of the reasons I refuse to go there anymore. Ive been there in early summer, after Spring Break and it was still like that. Might as well have been Spring Break in South Beach Miami. Anyways, the town just appeared touristy and blah to begin with. And dont they have that killer-bacteria in the water during the ultra-hot summer months? I remember some kid died there last summer I believe from some brain-eating bacteria or some other God-awful bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona