Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2017, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 6,718 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My question is directed towards residents of Sierra Vista in particular since that is my first choice to be my new home. After reading about the winds from past posts here (someone called the winds "tornado-esque"), I am now seeking more info.
Are there any pockets of shelter from the winds within the Sierra Vista city limits, any natural or man-made barriers that slow down the blustery winds? Cochise county residents that live not far from Sierra Vista could also offer their advice if they live in an area that doesn't receive the brunt of the winds blowing through Sierra Vista/Fort Huachuca.
I appreciate any input to help me make an informed decision.

Zenda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 06:27 PM

757 posts, read 837,874 times
I lived in SV mid 70s when it was not nearly as built up and do not recall winds being a problem other than during an occasional storm like anywhere else. Now that it is built up I would think your neighbors house would help block any wind. I still live in AZ and believe SV is a good bet. The thing about SV is it can get very cold in the winter and unprotected plants can be damaged. But SV is around 8 to 10 degrees cooler than Tucson in the hot months. I just have never thought of SV having a wind problem.

Old 02-01-2017, 06:19 AM

4,600 posts, read 6,359,230 times
If you are interested in the factual weather pattern in SV, spend time at this weather site daily, and build your own case for whether wind is even an issue.

Regards
Gemstone1

Old 02-01-2017, 05:59 PM

Thank you to both Senior Members for your input...and thank you for the website link to watch the wind maps for myself. I have been checking another site but I too have not noticed that they were an issue yet for 2017. Will keep an eye on it but yes, S. V. seems like a wonderful town.
Thanks again!
Zenda

Old 02-21-2017, 10:52 PM

344 posts, read 642,843 times
I've lived in S V for 20 years and the last two years have had days of 60 mph winds. The high winds usually come out of Garden Canyon and hit sort of like a Nor'easter. Last year we had much damage to the tile on our roof which cost us 2K to fix and his year we had heavy winds for a couple of days but no damage. I coached track at the local high school for many years and there were days we called practice off because of the winds. It is no whare near the Midwest but watch the local news and when you need to batten down the hatches.

Old 02-23-2017, 05:13 PM

Thank you, Salpointe59, for your response. I have not visited Sierra Vista as yet but on the map I see where Garden Canyon is located within the Fort Huachuca base. My friends that experienced the winds in S.V. called it "tornado-esque" and "unsettling" and your description would certainly fit!
So, in my quest for a home there, would you say to stay away from the base of the Huachuca Mts. (Buffalo Soldier Road) in general and to search more towards Hwy 92 and east? Or do these wind blasts have a more defined target area within the city limits?
I really appreciate your advice as I have very sensitive ears and finding a place that's not in direct heavy winds is high on my priority list.
Thank you again,
Zenda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
View detailed profiles of: