U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 10:49 PM

1,995 posts, read 1,613,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Theme parks leave Phoenix stuck in a loop...AZ Central April 2, 2011....
Theme parks leave Phoenix stuck in a loop

Desert Disneys...
Desert Disneys | Valley News
Not gonna happen!
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Well, supposedly there was one on the drawing board in Northern Az--- haven't heard any update about that one lately.
All these other theme parks that have been mentioned so far in this thread (Williams, Eloy, metrocenter), are completely other parks, and have nothing to do with this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
FYI I own a damn vehicle and first off I would ride to the light rail but this is The mute point anyway since this isn't going to be built anywhere. Not casa grande not here but the Metrocenter location makes more sense then casa grande regardless what you think.
yeah. Metrocenter would still be a great place so they could be along the light rail, as long as the buy up all the property North to Cactus, East to 19th ave, South to Northern Ave, and West to 35th ave, to make this project fit. Then reroute the highway...

Did you read the part where they have plans for an Amtrak??... Think bigger.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2017, 11:07 PM

1,673 posts, read 3,813,121 times
Whatever else can be said - you don't see Jordan Rose herself go on television often and vouch for a project - even if it is her client. SHE says they have the financial abilities to complete the project.

Verify: "Disney in the Desert?" | 12NEWS.com

P S - there is more information in the video than the text portion.

Old 02-22-2017, 11:13 PM

10,720 posts, read 18,504,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
An AZ theme park should be built in the Verde Valley or somewhere on the Colorado Plateau, like Williams or Flagstaff. Summers are just too hot in the low country
Its hot in Orlando in the summer. The heat index is over 100 degrees during the day. I've been to WDW in July and it feels just like Phoenix. The difference is a Phoenix park could be better planned with more shaded waiting areas, misters and covered rides. In Orlando it works because most lines are covered or shaded. The only time a line isn't shaded is when you are walking in common areas like Mainstreet But a Phoenix park could have more awnings and covered walk ways.

Also, what will likely happen is that people will arrive early in the morning and then take cover for 2-3 hours during the hottest times of the day and then come back out for rides. This would be an excellent opportunity to create indoor shopping or other indoor structures to give people a break from the heat. They could have movie theatres on site, a large indoor food court, a hotel that directly connects to the park etc.

Old 02-23-2017, 02:12 AM

17,827 posts, read 38,800,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adriver View Post
All these other theme parks that have been mentioned so far in this thread (Williams, Eloy, metrocenter), are completely other parks, and have nothing to do with this one.

I'm quite aware that there is no connection between this proposal and the Williams proposal. I linked the thread only as part of the wider discussion of potential theme parks in AZ. There's the ones that never happened (Eloy) the ones that don't have even any actual real proposals (Metrocenter) and now this one. And, I can be counted among those who will believe it when I see it. I'm not against the concept of theme parks here at all, but there is a long distance between the drawing board (or even before the drawing board) and a grand opening.

Old 02-23-2017, 03:58 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,411 posts, read 9,886,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Its hot in Orlando in the summer. The heat index is over 100 degrees during the day. I've been to WDW in July and it feels just like Phoenix. The difference is a Phoenix park could be better planned with more shaded waiting areas, misters and covered rides. In Orlando it works because most lines are covered or shaded. The only time a line isn't shaded is when you are walking in common areas like Mainstreet But a Phoenix park could have more awnings and covered walk ways.

Also, what will likely happen is that people will arrive early in the morning and then take cover for 2-3 hours during the hottest times of the day and then come back out for rides. This would be an excellent opportunity to create indoor shopping or other indoor structures to give people a break from the heat. They could have movie theatres on site, a large indoor food court, a hotel that directly connects to the park etc.
There is a big difference between a Phoenix summer and a Dallas or Orlando summer when it comes to outdoor activities. Why do you think that the Diamondbacks play in a dome while the Rangers stadium is open air? Anyways, you have to look at actual temperature for something like this. Heat Index only applies if you will be exercising or doing physical labor. Not the case with an amusement park. For example on a day where Dallas hits 100°, it will only be above 100° for an hour or two, but on a day that hits 112° here, the temp will be 100°+ from 9am until 11pm

Old 02-23-2017, 07:09 AM

7,824 posts, read 5,224,440 times
Quote:
There is a big difference between a Phoenix summer and a Dallas or Orlando summer when it comes to outdoor activities. Why do you think that the Diamondbacks play in a dome while the Rangers stadium is open air? Anyways, you have to look at actual temperature for something like this. Heat Index only applies if you will be exercising or doing physical labor. Not the case with an amusement park. For example on a day where Dallas hits 100°, it will only be above 100° for an hour or two, but on a day that hits 112° here, the temp will be 100°+ from 9am until 11pm
If they build it you don't have to go

Old 02-23-2017, 07:27 AM

7,453 posts, read 4,637,870 times
Quote:
Why do you think that the Diamondbacks play in a dome while the Rangers stadium is open air?
Actually, the Rangers are in the process of replacing their current facility with a domed one, which might open in 2020 or 2021. They had a public vote last November in Arlington that passed and will use hotel and car taxes to pay for a new retractable-roof Texas Rangers ballpark next to the old one. They were sick and tired of having to start their games late in the day, especially on Sundays to try and "beat the heat".

Voters Overwhelmingly Approve New Rangers Ballpark Funding

Old 02-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
25,411 posts, read 9,886,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Actually, the Rangers are in the process of replacing their current facility with a domed one, which might open in 2020 or 2021. They had a public vote last November in Arlington that passed and will use hotel and car taxes to pay for a new retractable-roof Texas Rangers ballpark next to the old one. They were sick and tired of having to start their games late in the day, especially on Sundays to try and "beat the heat".

Voters Overwhelmingly Approve New Rangers Ballpark Funding
Makes sense, I remember going to a Rangers/Padres game in July 2000, and despite being a night game, was boiling up until 7th inning stretch

Old 02-23-2017, 12:11 PM

6,753 posts, read 9,862,497 times
As I've said many times before: it's so ironic how the same ones who claim to be tolerant of the Arizona heat (and even love it in some cases because it's dry) are the same ones who are balking against a theme park because it's "too hot here in the summer". Sorry folks, it can't be both ways! If the intense heat is good enough for some of you to be out hiking and doing other ridiculous things, then it's definitely good enough for a theme park.

In my own personal opinion, I would likely stay away from any theme park ... I do anyway because they're full of kids (not my cup of tea). At the same time, I'm fully supporting the effort to bring more amusement parks to the state. Arizona does a good job attracting tourism for our natural beauty, but we need more than this. People who want to get away on vacation & have fun will often skip over Arizona & head to California or Las Vegas. Having theme parks on the scale of Disney or even Six Flags would bring in more tourists, attract local residents, and prevent so much revenue from leaving the state.

NIMBYs, naysayers, and hypocrites need to get out of the way and allow something like this to be built. Give it a chance, and it will be successful. Those of you who don't like theme parks can simply express your dislike by not giving them any of your business.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:17 PM

6,199 posts, read 9,315,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
As I've said many times before: it's so ironic how the same ones who claim to be tolerant of the Arizona heat (and even love it in some cases because it's dry) are the same ones who are balking against a theme park because it's "too hot here in the summer". Sorry folks, it can't be both ways! If the intense heat is good enough for some of you to be out hiking and doing other ridiculous things, then it's definitely good enough for a theme park.

In my own personal opinion, I would likely stay away from any theme park ... I do anyway because they're full of kids (not my cup of tea). At the same time, I'm fully supporting the effort to bring more amusement parks to the state. Arizona does a good job attracting tourism for our natural beauty, but we need more than this. People who want to get away on vacation & have fun will often skip over Arizona & head to California or Las Vegas. Having theme parks on the scale of Disney or even Six Flags would bring in more tourists, attract local residents, and prevent so much revenue from leaving the state.

NIMBYs, naysayers, and hypocrites need to get out of the way and allow something like this to be built. Give it a chance, and it will be successful. Those of you who don't like theme parks can simply express your dislike by not giving them any of your business.
It's all about public perceptions. The average person doesn't care about the heat index, he/she will choose 90s in Orlando over 100s/110s in Phoenix, regardless of the humidity. Plus, low humidity doesn't affect how hot the seats on the rides will feel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona