Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 12:58 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times

Advertisements

I received an email from Az Game and Fish that they are looking for people who want to adopt a desert tortoise. They have about 100. Here's the details.

PHOENIX – Nearly 100 desert tortoises will soon awaken from their winter slumber and the Arizona Game and Fish Tortoise Adoption program will be once again be looking for good adoptive homes. There is no charge to adopt a tortoise.

The desert tortoises up for adoption are a wide range of ages and sizes. AZGFD is accepting applications for those willing to provide a special home. Adoption application packets and general information can be found at www.azgfd.gov/tortoise.

Adopters need to have a securely enclosed yard or separate enclosure in their yard, free from potential hazards such as a dog, fire pit or unfenced pool. The enclosed area must include an appropriate shelter for the tortoise to escape Arizona’s extreme summer and winter temperatures.

All of the desert tortoises eligible for adoption will be given health checkups before going to their new homes. Tortoises are only available for adoption to residents living within the species’ native range, which includes the Phoenix, Bullhead City, Kingman, Prescott, Lake Havasu, Tucson and Yuma areas.

Desert tortoises offer a unique alternative to more traditional family pets and can teach many of the same life lessons to children, including responsibility, compassion and commitment. Contrary to many assumptions, desert tortoises can be interactive and provide companionship without as many demands as a cat or dog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2017, 01:06 PM

7,185 posts, read 9,320,007 times
Please be aware:

"The desert tortoises live about 50 to 80 years"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_tortoise

We made a mistake of buying a 9 year old child a box turtle. Took care of that dang thing for 20 years.....then gave it to a pet shop.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:14 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,726,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Please be aware:

We made a mistake of buying a 9 year old child a box turtle. Took care of that dang thing for 20 years.....then gave it to a pet shop.
Holy ****! I'd have to account for it in my estate plan.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Madolf View Post
Holy ****! I'd have to account for it in my estate plan.
Yeah, and talking birds can also live to be about 70 years old.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:27 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Please be aware:

They said they will take them back if the owner dies (among other things). I guess it is more like fostering than adopting.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:49 PM

9,480 posts, read 12,294,079 times
How cool would that be? I'd do this in a heartbeat but I already have furbabies that would likely pester it.

Old 03-07-2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
How cool would that be? I'd do this in a heartbeat but I already have furbabies that would likely pester it.
When we had that box turtle, it would bury itself in the garden and we couldn't find it.

But that was no problem for our mini-dachshund. She could sniff it out and dig it out in about 10 seconds.

Old 03-07-2017, 03:21 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,966,125 times
I hope they do background checks on potential buyers. That way these awesome creatures don't end up in the hands of incapable idiots who will neglect it, or not have enough space for one. I'd hate to see one couped up in a small backyard. ugh

Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,735,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I hope they do background checks on potential buyers. That way these awesome creatures don't end up in the hands of incapable idiots who will neglect it, or not have enough space for one. I'd hate to see one couped up in a small backyard. ugh
I wish it worked that way with dogs as well, so many terrible owners out there.

Old 03-07-2017, 07:27 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,469,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I wish it worked that way with dogs as well, so many terrible owners out there.
Agree. I always thought we should do the same for people wanting kids given there's so many horrible parents out there. Check out their means of support, background checks, etc.

I'd guess the backyard size wouldn't mean much to the turtle as long as they can munch down lots of food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona