Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2018, 01:38 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,643,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillip91 View Post
I've been reading this forum for a few years now, and have finally decided to join. I remember your name and you seem to have an agenda. Only Phoenix the city is liberal, but the metro area is in fact conservative. Stop spreading misinformation, and stop discouraging people from moving to AZ because you don't like their conservative politics.
Do you live here? Do you know what the political climate here feels like in daily life? Phoenix is very moderate and left-leaning, and Tempe is largely a progressive university town. It's nothing like the backwards south. It's a healthy mix, IMO. We have radical nuts, but fiscally conservative and socially liberal encompasses the majority. So, what exactly do you disagree with based on your "expertise"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2018, 03:29 PM

48 posts, read 34,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Do you live here? Do you know what the political climate here feels like in daily life? Phoenix is very moderate and left-leaning, and Tempe is largely a progressive university town. It's nothing like the backwards south. It's a healthy mix, IMO. We have radical nuts, but fiscally conservative and socially liberal encompasses the majority. So, what exactly do you disagree with based on your "expertise"?

Sheesh what do you have against the south? It's not backwards at all. Again your agenda is showing and it's pretty clear you have a bias.

Anyways. The Phoenix metro is socially conservative on issues like race and immigration. There's a reason why Trump gave his big immigration rally there, and why the area is literally ground zero for hardline immigration policies past and present. You can't just ignore these facts. The idea that social liberalism encompasses the majority of residents in the Phoenix metro area is flat out inaccurate, you even said yourself that it's a healthy mix, so which is it? Yes, Tempe is obviously liberal, but every university town in America is liberal, that's hardly a revelation.

Old 02-07-2018, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Sheesh what do you have against the south? It's not backwards at all. Again your agenda is showing and it's pretty clear you have a bias.

Anyways. The Phoenix metro is socially conservative on issues like race and immigration. There's a reason why Trump gave his big immigration rally there, and why the area is literally ground zero for hardline immigration policies past and present. You can't just ignore these facts. The idea that social liberalism encompasses the majority of residents in the Phoenix metro area is flat out inaccurate, you even said yourself that it's a healthy mix, so which is it? Yes, Tempe is obviously liberal, but every university town in America is liberal, that's hardly a revelation.
I'm not stupid enough to think that a forum post will prevent someone from moving here. It's a matter of you not living here and having no idea what you're talking about.

Let me give you an idea of what it's really like here. Politics almost never come up in daily life. Interracial relationships are commonplace here. There is a bustling gay scene. Religiosity is generally low. Both Phoenix and Tempe received perfect scores from the Human Rights Campaign. Scottsdale and Mesa are pushing the state to enact LGBT anti-discrimination protections; Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Peoria and Tempe all have some form of their own. Areas are economically divided, but not racially so (AKA racial diversity) as a rule. Jan Brewer veto'd SB 1062. Trump only took the state by 4%. There were just as many anti-Trump rallies as there were pro. You acknowledge the landscape of Phoenix and Tempe, but seem to ignore the amount of size and influence that they bring to the metro.

Yes, we have some politicians that are focused on immigration laws and many support their efforts. As you get more rural, you get more conservative and we have plenty of that. Guns are ubiquitous and the right to carry and own them is respected. Again, it's pretty balanced here. The Phoenix area as a whole is moderate. So what is your big objection to all this? Are you sad to hear that it's not some sort of neo-Nazi utopia?

Old 02-07-2018, 05:41 PM

Quote:
I'm not stupid enough to think that a forum post will prevent someone from moving here. It's a matter of you not living here and having no idea what you're talking about.

Let me give you an idea of what it's really like here. Politics almost never come up in daily life. Interracial relationships are commonplace here. There is a bustling gay scene. Religiosity is generally low. Both Phoenix and Tempe received perfect scores from the Human Rights Campaign. Scottsdale and Mesa are pushing the state to enact LGBT anti-discrimination protections; Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, Mesa, Glendale, Peoria and Tempe all have some form of their own. Areas are economically divided, but not racially so (AKA racial diversity) as a rule. Jan Brewer veto'd SB 1062. Trump only took the state by 4%. There were just as many anti-Trump rallies as there were pro. You acknowledge the landscape of Phoenix and Tempe, but seem to ignore the amount of size and influence that they bring to the metro.

Yes, we have some politicians that are focused on immigration laws and many support their efforts. As you get more rural, you get more conservative and we have plenty of that. Guns are ubiquitous and the right to carry and own them is respected. Again, it's pretty balanced here. The Phoenix area as a whole is moderate. So what is your big objection to all this? Are you sad to hear that it's not some sort of neo-Nazi utopia?

Calm down and take a deep breath, you seem angry. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll take the word of many native AZ residents and my own research over a CD forum member with a questionable posting history and obvious agenda. Interracial relationships are commonplace? Between Whites and Hispanics, yes, but they're nowhere near a majority. Most Whites still date whites, and most Hispanics still date Hispanics, that is the norm. There is a strong Mormon presence in the East Valley and a strong Evangelical Christian presence in North Phoenix and West Valley. So I wouldn't say that religiosity is generally low. Also, are you kidding me? The Phoenix metro and AZ as a whole is a well known neo Nazi utopia, the state has a racist reputation and is a hotbed for white supremacist activity and far right politics. It's the reality and it exists. Are you sad to hear that it's not some sort of progressive LGBT interracial utopia? Maybe you should move

Old 02-07-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
It's nothing like the backwards south.

Also, this post of yours, doesn't this go against the forum rules? I'm sure a lot of southerners would take offense to this. LMAO good thing I quoted it so everyone can see how you love to bash the south.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Calm down and take a deep breath, you seem angry. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'll take the word of many native AZ residents and my own research over a CD forum member with a questionable posting history and obvious agenda. Interracial relationships are commonplace? Between Whites and Hispanics, yes, but they're nowhere near a majority. Most Whites still date whites, and most Hispanics still date Hispanics, that is the norm. There is a strong Mormon presence in the East Valley and a strong Evangelical Christian presence in North Phoenix and West Valley. So I wouldn't say that religiosity is generally low. Also, are you kidding me? The Phoenix metro and AZ as a whole is a well known neo Nazi utopia, the state has a racist reputation and is a hotbed for white supremacist activity and far right politics. It's the reality and it exists. Are you sad to hear that it's not some sort of progressive LGBT interracial utopia? Maybe you should move
I’m not moving anytime soon. I do really well for myself here and find it to be the perfect, moderate live and let live environment. Research Goldwater. Much of those values remain. We tend to not get in each other’s business but white supremacy and similar ilk are not tolerated. Again, Hillary only lost the state by 4%. Think of how middle-of-the-road that means the populace is.

Old 02-07-2018, 06:15 PM

2,925 posts, read 3,092,454 times
Quote:
The Phoenix metro and AZ as a whole is a well known neo Nazi utopia, the state has a racist reputation and is a hotbed for white supremacist activity and far right politics. It's the reality and it exists.
Settle down a bit, please. Did you really mean this part of your post as serious? I do not agree with much of what DetroitN8V posts, however I also do not agree with this opinion of yours.

Arizonans are a wide mix of folks who pretty much let each other do what they want as long as it doesn't break the other's back, nor pick the other's pocket. It is not a hotbed of racism and white supremacists. One can find pockets of such in any state in the country.

Example. I live in a rural area of Arizona that is heavily conservative, yet most of our local politicians run on the Democratic ticket. Maybe I'm delusional, but I think here we vote for the person, not the party.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddyearp View Post
Settle down a bit, please. Did you really mean this part of your post as serious? I do not agree with much of what DetroitN8V posts, however I also do not agree with this opinion of yours.

Keep in mind that Mr Detroit attacked me personally and mentioned neo Nazis first, not me. He assumes that I would be sad because Arizona is not a "neo Nazi utopia", without even knowing me. I didn't like the condescending tone of his reply to me. I don't want to live in a neo Nazi utopia, nor do I believe all of AZ is such a utopia. I may have exaggerated a bit but I was making a point. I mean, white supremacists do exist there.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
I’m not moving anytime soon. I do really well for myself here and find it to be the perfect, moderate live and let live environment. Research Goldwater. Much of those values remain. We tend to not get in each other’s business but white supremacy and similar ilk are not tolerated. Again, Hillary only lost the state by 4%. Think of how middle-of-the-road that means the populace is.

Goldwater days are long gone. McCain and Flake aside, AZ's conservatism is in line with Trump nowadays. White supremacy may not be tolerated by you personally, but that doesn't mean that people with such views don't exist in AZ, there's lots there, most simply hide it. Trump won the state by a smaller margin because Hispanics came out in full force to vote against Trump and lots of the weak "Romney" type conservatives stayed home.

Old 02-07-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Keep in mind that Mr Detroit attacked me personally and mentioned neo Nazis first, not me. He assumes that I would be sad because Arizona is not a "neo Nazi utopia", without even knowing me. I didn't like the condescending tone of his reply to me. I don't want to live in a neo Nazi utopia, nor do I believe all of AZ is such a utopia. I may have exaggerated a bit but I was making a point. I mean, white supremacists do exist there.
No, it’s because you said it. You touted the alt-right (neo-nazi/white supremacy) and Russell Pearce (admitted ties with neo-Nazis) as being positives. If that’s the environment you’re seeking, quit getting so upset when it’s pointed out. AZ is not that place though.

Quote:
OP, you'll be just fine in the great state of Arizona. I'm thinking of moving there myself since I'm a Trump supporter. I am 26 and cannot wait to live there! I mean the weather is fantastic (love the heat) and the gun laws are the best in the country. Compared to conservative states like Idaho, Wyoming, and Utah, Arizona is much MORE pro Trump/alt right. All you have to do is research and look at the state's politics. Jan Brewer, Russell Pearce and the creation of SB1070. AZ had it right years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona