U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 02:08 AM

19 posts, read 74,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniArizona View Post
I have another post concerning job availability in Payson. I'd also like to know if there is alot of drug use in Payson. A couple years ago I moved to a small town in N. Cali & found out that most everyone there was either un-employed or collected disability (even tho they didn't seem to need it!) and drug use, especially Meth was VERY prevalent! I know drugs are everywhere but I swear this city had more Meth users p/capita than I'd seen in LA or the suburbs of Chicago where I lived for years !!!! Please give me your input as I'd rather not live in a drug (Meth) town .. thanks !
I don't find anything objectionable in the post. Maybe that's because I'm not reading more into it than what was stated. Maybe it's because I've recently spent time in N. California/S. Oregon and know exactly what you mean about the *career disabled*. I'm not judging any particular individual, but when the per capita rate of disabled in a particular community is five or six times the national average, it does make you wonder. Especially when you run into one elk hunting in the backwoods. Certified by a doctor as not physically fit to go to work, but can hike miles in the woods, shoot, gut and hoist an elk carcass on to their pickup. The percentage of *medical marijuana* users up there also defies all reason.
Meth is a drug of poverty. One of the often unmentioned liabilities of seeking *affordable housing* is that you are more likely to end up in close proximity to meth users. Combine low rent housing with low educational achievement and poor employment prospects, and you have a filter for concentrating those who will be attracted to trying meth. 50% of all meth *experimenters* become addicted with their first hit.
Whenever drugs or crime are mentioned, someone is going to pipe in with the notion that "they've got that everywhere, you can't get away from it". Well they don't have it to the same degree of severity everywhere now, do they? And that's what you need to find out. How many cases per capita makes a town a *drug town* in your estimation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2007, 04:41 AM
RCL

123 posts, read 520,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitudes View Post
I don't find anything objectionable in the post. Maybe that's because I'm not reading more into it than what was stated. Maybe it's because I've recently spent time in N. California/S. Oregon and know exactly what you mean about the *career disabled*. I'm not judging any particular individual, but when the per capita rate of disabled in a particular community is five or six times the national average, it does make you wonder. Especially when you run into one elk hunting in the backwoods. Certified by a doctor as not physically fit to go to work, but can hike miles in the woods, shoot, gut and hoist an elk carcass on to their pickup. The percentage of *medical marijuana* users up there also defies all reason.
Meth is a drug of poverty. One of the often unmentioned liabilities of seeking *affordable housing* is that you are more likely to end up in close proximity to meth users. Combine low rent housing with low educational achievement and poor employment prospects, and you have a filter for concentrating those who will be attracted to trying meth. 50% of all meth *experimenters* become addicted with their first hit.
Whenever drugs or crime are mentioned, someone is going to pipe in with the notion that "they've got that everywhere, you can't get away from it". Well they don't have it to the same degree of severity everywhere now, do they? And that's what you need to find out. How many cases per capita makes a town a *drug town* in your estimation?
If you suspect someone is abusing the disability system then you should report them to the appropriate agency. However, things are not always as they appear. I can tell you that at the onset of my condition, it was diagnosed as vestibular neuritis and the treatment was physical therapy. So while I was in vestibular rehabilitation physical therapy (and on temporary State disability), my Dr. wrote me a prescription to go hiking on uneven terrain as a means of "retraining" the brain, as often as I could. When he told me that, I told him I was concerned with appearing as and being reported as a malingerer, which is why he pulled out the Rx pad, wrote it down, and signed it.

I know there are people who abuse the system, they only make it more difficult for the rest of us who experience catastrophe and need the safety net. That's why I say if you suspect someone is abusing the system then you should report them. I can't comment on the (supposed) ratio of disability recipients to meth. Perhaps they are disabled because they used various drugs and fried their brains. I have met a few of those.

Old 01-04-2007, 01:39 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,772,375 times
I think some are forgetting what this thread is about. The person that posted the thread isn't even going to bother reading the replies because there are too many of the replies that are so off topic he/she won't be able to sort through them. The point of the thread is METH and drug problems in PAYSON Arizona. Not your issues with disability. Yes, she made the comment about the disabled, and with good reason. Regardless of what anyone thinks, there are career abusers of the system...AND IT TENDS TO HAPPEN MORE WHERE THERE ARE DRUG PROBLEMS (ESPECIALLY METH). That comes first hand from those of us that have witnessed it. But this belongs on a completely different thread as this is OFF TOPIC PEOPLE!

Old 01-04-2007, 01:48 PM

2,798 posts, read 6,772,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitudes View Post
Yes, you are right about this to an extent. However, if you live in a tourist area as I do and/or an area that has a lot of winter visitors etc, you will not always be able to obtain the truth. There is no such site or anything else that is going to be completely honest about the drug problems. You have to get it first hand from those of us that live and experience these areas. Yes, drugs and crime is everywhere...to the degree and severity as in other places? Well, you will not know that unless you ask questions to people that live there and KNOWS what is going on, not rely on what someone is trying to sell you on.
As far as your notion about meth being a drug of poverty, this must be coming from someone that is either dissillusioned or has absolutely no experience with this problem...which obviously is not a BAD thing. I would rather say I know nothing about it, but it is all around us.

Old 01-11-2007, 10:09 PM

11 posts, read 36,789 times
Default Sooooo off topic!

Did you read the rules? She asked if Payson had a meth or laziness problem! Thank you kawgpz550. The answer is yes as "kawg" said. Lately every newspaper that comes out has a True Story, and there are plenty of sore-faces running around. I am leaving here very soon. The wealthy and the druggies are taking over. Maybe the no rulers above can complain about wealth now. Anyway, I won't recommend Payson to anyone because of the high prices for housing, not enough jobs, way too many people from Mexico (another topic for the complainers)LOL. Meth is a horrible problem everywhere. You have to choose your friends well. That is also kinda hard here....making friends. Unless you subscribe to a certain church. Anyway, hope you figure it out.

Old 01-13-2007, 02:31 PM

44 posts, read 106,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by az2id View Post
Did you read the rules? She asked if Payson had a meth or laziness problem! Thank you kawgpz550. The answer is yes as "kawg" said. Lately every newspaper that comes out has a True Story, and there are plenty of sore-faces running around. I am leaving here very soon. The wealthy and the druggies are taking over. Maybe the no rulers above can complain about wealth now. Anyway, I won't recommend Payson to anyone because of the high prices for housing, not enough jobs, way too many people from Mexico (another topic for the complainers)LOL. Meth is a horrible problem everywhere. You have to choose your friends well. That is also kinda hard here....making friends. Unless you subscribe to a certain church. Anyway, hope you figure it out.
What can I do, but totally agree with you! I am also leaving this area in the next 2 weeks, and I can't wait. I am so sick of everyone I run into in the Payson/Pine/Strawberry area, under the age of 40 being a DRUG ADDICT. It's very very sad. There is little to do here for younger (below retirement age) people other than become a drug addict/alcoholic, go to bars, drive drunk with no license plates or insurance, work menial off the books construction jobs, or retail, and live in a stinking trailer. ( I live in an actual house)

If you are older, live in a gated community, or belong to the right church, or have the right last name, this is a great area!

It's also painfully difficult to just pick the right friends, when everyone you become friends with, becomes a meth addict before your eyes.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 PM

10 posts, read 48,330 times
There is a drug problem everywhere in every corner of the US, even in your best neighborhoods. Look at Betty Ford! Couldn't ask for any better environment and she had a problem. It's just a matter of controlling your own problems instead of looking at others.

Old 01-14-2007, 04:08 PM

11,188 posts, read 9,540,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_Harrington View Post
What can I do, but totally agree with you! I am also leaving this area in the next 2 weeks, and I can't wait. I am so sick of everyone I run into in the Payson/Pine/Strawberry area, under the age of 40 being a DRUG ADDICT. It's very very sad. There is little to do here for younger (below retirement age) people other than become a drug addict/alcoholic, go to bars, drive drunk with no license plates or insurance, work menial off the books construction jobs, or retail, and live in a stinking trailer. ( I live in an actual house)

If you are older, live in a gated community, or belong to the right church, or have the right last name, this is a great area!

It's also painfully difficult to just pick the right friends, when everyone you become friends with, becomes a meth addict before your eyes.
Please explain, which is the right church and the right last name? Just curious to know if I'll fit in or not.

Old 01-14-2007, 11:10 PM

44 posts, read 106,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Neis View Post
There is a drug problem everywhere in every corner of the US, even in your best neighborhoods. Look at Betty Ford! Couldn't ask for any better environment and she had a problem. It's just a matter of controlling your own problems instead of looking at others.
I don't think Betty Ford had neighbors cooking up meth in a trailer.

Old 03-08-2007, 02:39 PM

5 posts, read 9,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
Please explain, which is the right church and the right last name? Just curious to know if I'll fit in or not.
1. Mormon. The predominant religion/social alignment for the town.
2. Any last name that is of the founders or officials and or offspring/relations to same. They are not shy of telling you that this is "their" town and "their" familys run/own it.
3. If you are a mormon and drink, smoke, cuss like a sailor, and have a constant need to tell everyone how superior you are to everyone else..you will fit in fine! Oh..and hire people to work for you and pay them under the table and no overtime. Don't tell them this of coarse..let them find out on payday.

Sometimes the truth is painful...but still the truth!

Aviod this place like the plague! Wish someone would have clued me in before I moved up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona